Author Topic: Hasya and Ox sapodilla - when do they fruit in Florida?  (Read 4759 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Hasya and Ox sapodilla - when do they fruit in Florida?
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »
As for the hasya, I have see one reference say it fruits from nov to may.  Another says January through April. Another source said that it fruits around June mainly.

I have not been able to find any info on the fruiting season of the oxkutzcab but I have noticed that the ox trees locally at least fruit in June and July.

Also would the hasya be considered a mild moderate or very sweet sapodilla in general?  And the ox?

Anyone?   Thanks.

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Hasya and Ox sapodilla - when do they fruit in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »
As for the hasya, I have see one reference say it fruits from nov to may.  Another says January through April. Another source said that it fruits around June mainly.

I have not been able to find any info on the fruiting season of the oxkutzcab but I have noticed that the ox trees locally at least fruit in June and July.

Also would the hasya be considered a mild moderate or very sweet sapodilla in general?  And the ox?

Anyone?   Thanks.

Brad
While the exact time period will range depending on the weather, Hasya, from the ones I have seen, ripen in the January through May time period, give or take.  Have not observed Ox as much.

Hasya are sweet, Ox, in general, from what I have tasted, not as sweet.  Why are you focusing on these two, for size of fruit?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:46:12 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:10 AM »
Size of fruit, yes.  I already have a Makok.  Although the taste is nice, and it supposedly has a long fruitig season, it is such a small fruit.  I have realized after eating several ripe Makoks as well as oxs, the larger size of the ox really does enhance the eating experience.

The other factor was the milder taste of the ox in comparison to the brown sugar sweet Makok.  However the hasya's beginning of the year fruiting helps to balance out he fruiting of my tree collection better than another summer fruit (ox). So maybe hasya would be a good fit.

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »
Size of fruit, yes.  I already have a Makok.  Although the taste is nice, and it supposedly has a long fruitig season, it is such a small fruit.  I have realized after eating several ripe Makoks as well as oxs, the larger size of the ox really does enhance the eating experience.

The other factor was the milder taste of the ox in comparison to the brown sugar sweet Makok.  However the hasya's beginning of the year fruiting helps to balance out he fruiting of my tree collection better than another summer fruit (ox). So maybe hasya would be a good fit.

Brad
I wouldn't focus on size as it becomes trivial if you are passing up quality for it.  I still say you can't go wrong with Alano...it has a long fruiting season, manageable in size, can produce medium sized fruits, low stone cell content, consistent great flavor, is sweet and a heavy producer.
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »
Maybe it's more of an issue of the Makok fruit being so small that it detracts from the eating experience if enjoying a piece of fruit.  Its possible that for a better experience i just need anything larger than Makok and not necessarily huge. 

But alanos taste is favored by many. And it's fruiting season (dec to july according to charles bonings book) complements the Makok (spring to fall). Thanks for The suggestion of alano. I guess it's either alano or hasya, both of which produce fruit over the time period when I have the least trees fruiting in the beginning of the year

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
Maybe it's more of an issue of the Makok fruit being so small that it detracts from the eating experience if enjoying a piece of fruit.  Its possible that for a better experience i just need anything larger than Makok and not necessarily huge. 

But alanos taste is favored by many. And it's fruiting season (dec to july according to charles bonings book) complements the Makok (spring to fall). Thanks for The suggestion of alano. I guess it's either alano or hasya, both of which produce fruit over the time period when I have the least trees fruiting in the beginning of the year

Brad
Both good choices...
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion Rob I think in fact I will get an Alano tree. As much as I would enjoy a larger fruit I think there is a lot to be said for having a fruit who's season compliments the Makok that I already have and has a longer fruiting season

Brad
Brad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk