Author Topic: how long does jackfruit take to fruit from seed?  (Read 10023 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
how long does jackfruit take to fruit from seed?
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
title pretty much says it all. :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: how long does jackfruit take to fruit from seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
There have been "reports" of it fruiting in as little as 2 years and at 3 years.  To be more realistic of the tree being able to produce a decent fruit, 4+ years.
- Rob

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
I harvested fruit from mine 16 months after planting from a 3 gallon. It is an unknown seedling. That is really fast though and I made good soil and used many different unconventional organic fertilizer sources. 3- 5 years normally? 2+ if you are lucky and/or use many inputs.
-Josh

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
ok, but just to clarify, i'm talking about from when the seed germinates, not when one plants a large seedling in the ground. so, 4 years from germination is a safe guess?

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
There have been "reports" of it fruiting in as little as 2 years and at 3 years.  To be more realistic of the tree being able to produce a decent fruit, 4+ years.

I planted a MAI1 Jakfruit seed about 4 years ago- the tree is gigantic and yesterday I discovered a 6 cm sized fruit on it, the first one! 

These seeds germinate well and grow quickly- a seed can turn into a large seedling tree in a relatively short amount of time. I couldn't believe it.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:27:47 PM by naturelover »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
Four years is a good estimate with excellent culture and growing conditions.  However, I have had some that took considerably longer to bear a first fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
The tree couldn't have been more than a year old. I didn't plant it so there is no way of knowing for sure. They grow fast and I keep mine skirted and pruned back to about 7 - 8 feet so that might help it fruit sooner as well.
-Josh

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »
ok great - so maybe we'll say 4-6 years? now what about grafted? how much does that speed things up?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »
It's a funny thing, you don't gain anything in terms of time to fruit by grafting jakfruit. It can take longer!
Peter

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »
Get two or three seeds and prune the taproot out when it gets about 4" long, plant them in ground, then graft them all together. That could help speed things up a little. I have a friend that inarched a bunch of rootstocks and his jackfruit trees and they are kicking ass compared to non inarched. If you can get different seeds you can have different cultivars fruiting under the same canopy.
-Josh

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
well what a cheeky non-conformist is the jakfruit! do they come out close to true from seed, or is it a total crap shoot?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
I dont think they really come true to seed, that is why we are going to the trouble to graft something that is actually difficult to graft. People will say they come true to seed but I wouldn't count on it. I know of a project where they planted a lot of select seeds.  Not all their jakfruit from that planting is good quality.
Peter

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
I currently have 39 jakfruit trees in the ground for 3 years or less. Of the 13 grafted trees that have been in the ground for 3 years (plus or minus a few months), only 2 are producing female flowers (fruiting) now, Bangkok Lemon (10+ fruit) and NS1 (2 fruit).  Of the four seedlings planted in the ground the same amount of time, only one has a single fruit at around 4 years from seed, at around 12ft tall by 6ft wide.  I have a j31 seedling that fruited in about 20 months from seed at about 10ft tall by 5 ft wide and is fruiting again this year, so far a single fruit.  My biggest seedling tree is around 18ft tall by 10ft wide and the trunk is about 8 inches but no fruit.    I am going to guess that 5 - 6 years will be the average in my yard for jackfruit seedlings and 4 - 5 years for grafted.

I agree with Peter that they are not true and may produce fruit with very different attributes.  The one seedling tree that fruited in my yard tasted nothing like the parent and the flesh was a different color.  I planted 5 from a single fruit and the trees are growing noticeably different.  Even though they are not true, I believe you have a good chance of getting a good fruit, unlike the small chance you have with mangos.
Brandon

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:31 PM »
mostly it depends on the variety and the rain fall u ve in ur area, here in my place KERALA,South India, it takes approx 5 -7 years from seeds , we ve an annual rainfall of about 300 cm...average temp 30 degree c.,pure tropics...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
Can be as early as 2 (yes 2) years or as long as 10.I think 4 years in the tropics for healthy trees to start flowering is fairly routine.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »
Does more rain encourage or delay fruiting? Or to rephrase, is a rainy climate a good thing or a bad thing? How does jackfruit generally do in wet/dry climates - does it require constant irrigation or does it hold up ok to drought?

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
Ive heard out of 100 a few (a little less than 10 percent) can fruit in one year.

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
dear Zafra, here in our area the rainy season is from JUNE to DECEMBER, after that rain stops and continuous dry season starts , and we dont put any water in these days and jack trees start to flower in JANUARY and fruit ll be ready to pic in end of February or march...its almost same in the case of mangos too, this dry season help them to blossom..

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
Ive heard out of 100 a few (a little less than 10 percent) can fruit in one year.

Please do tell where these figures came from (from those numbers that would be a high percentage which is not only highly unlikely but actually not to be believed).  There is no way a 1 year old jackfruit tree (seedling or grafted) could support a mature fruit.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:51:18 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
thank you ajeshcool47 that's great to know. you're seasons are almost exactly the same as ours! if i get a jackfruit i imagine it will behave similarly to yours.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:32 AM »
After receiving J33 seeds from Malaysia I posted a pic of the resultant ripe fruit from an offspring 27 months later. I doubt that could easily be rivalled and not less than 18 months in any circumstances I think.You need a booming seedling in ideal conditions that is precocious.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
Zafra, for jakfruit I think your climate is very good. We get good results with our wetter weather but the 6 month long dry season in other parts of Costa Rica seems to work at least as well. Though you might water a tad.
Peter

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
great - we've been killer dry because of el niņo for i think 4 years now (this is the 4th year). hoping to get back to more normal rain cycles some day soon but still very interested in trees that don't need much in the way of irrigation. jackfruit is looking good! now if i could just get a good one...

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »

Please do tell where these figures came from (from those numbers that would be a high percentage which is not only highly unlikely but actually not to be believed).  There is no way a 1 year old jackfruit tree (seedling or grafted) could support a mature fruit.

That's what i was told at Fruitscapes. I dont see why they would make that up its not like they were trying to sell me jackfruit seeds. I also saw a very short tree holding a single fruit in Walter Zills front yard.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
I also heard that at FS. But I thought it was like 1 or 2 out of 100?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk