Author Topic: Wild Mangifera species in Kalimantan ... and in Malaysia  (Read 6332 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Wild Mangifera species in Kalimantan ... and in Malaysia
« on: June 17, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
An interesting read, seems related to Kostermans' report, listed here previously.

John

http://repository.wwf.org.my/technical_reports/W/WildMangiferaSpeciesInKalimantanIndonesiaAndInMalaysia.pdf

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Mangifera species in Kalimantan ... and in Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »
Great article. This might solve the mystery wild mango I have on my table. Not M. 'rafitiai' but M. griffithii.  Need to confirm with Frankie.

Thanks!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
An interesting read, seems related to Kostermans' report, listed here previously.

John

http://repository.wwf.org.my/technical_reports/W/WildMangiferaSpeciesInKalimantanIndonesiaAndInMalaysia.pdf
Very interesting report. Thanks.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »
Great article. This might solve the mystery wild mango I have on my table. Not M. 'rafitiai' but M. griffithii.  Need to confirm with Frankie.

Thanks!
You got thatplant from Frankies?
BTW notice the article is called "wild mangiferas", not "wild mangoes". Mango is Mangifera indica only. It doesn't refer to all species of mangiferas. Unfortunately the folks at Fairchilds are spreading this kind of error by calling all mangiferas wild mangoes. That tends to imply that all other species are earlier ancestors of mangoes, which is quite certainly not true.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
just the fruit.  I can't tell the difference by looking on the outside. However, once you cut and eat, can tell a difference.  the griffithii taste more mangoish. I definitely prefer the kasturi hands down.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »

vertical pics, the griffithii is the one on the top and the horizontal, griffithii is on the left. 

I will make one disclaimer: when Lynn told me what the fruit was, I heard rafithii.  But when I googled it and looked at this article, the closest was griffithii. I could be wrong.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »
Great find, PG, make sure you plant those seeds!  I think the assumption that what you have is griffithii is probably reasonable.  You should probably do a posting about this in the normal discussion section, with more of a description of the pulp (not just flavor, but color, fiber content, odor, etc).

John

just the fruit.  I can't tell the difference by looking on the outside. However, once you cut and eat, can tell a difference.  the griffithii taste more mangoish. I definitely prefer the kasturi hands down.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:52:15 PM »
Not trying to be argumentative, but did you actually read the article, Oscar?  The author uses mango and Mangifera interchangeably in the article as Kosterman did in his article.

BTW notice the article is called "wild mangiferas", not "wild mangoes". Mango is Mangifera indica only. It doesn't refer to all species of mangiferas. Unfortunately the folks at Fairchilds are spreading this kind of error by calling all mangiferas wild mangoes. That tends to imply that all other species are earlier ancestors of mangoes, which is quite certainly not true.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
Great find, PG, make sure you plant those seeds!  I think the assumption that what you have is griffithii is probably reasonable.  You should probably do a posting about this in the normal discussion section, with more of a description of the pulp (not just flavor, but color, fiber content, odor, etc).

John

some of the descriptive things you ask of me I did not do.  So will post if I can get my hands on griffithii and kasturi together and do a better comparison.  Maybe get my wife involved in the tasting.