Author Topic: 3-sided vs 4-sided dragon fruit  (Read 4028 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
3-sided vs 4-sided dragon fruit
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
So, I have some dragon fruit plants that I have grown from seed. 
I bought the fruits in different areas of the world at farmer's markets.  Both dark red flesh and very tasty, so I brought some seeds home.
All the plants from one fruit are 4-sided, and all the plants from the other are 3-sided.
Any idea why?  I am guessing different varieties?  All my other dragon fruit have always been 3-sided.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 3-sided vs 4-sided dragon fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Genetics. Most are more prone to grow 3-sided, but change to 2 or 4 once in a while. You can observe this preference in your plants over time.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:15:05 PM »
Thanks!

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:49:12 AM »

Genetics. Most are more prone to grow 3-sided, but change to 2 or 4 once in a while. You can observe this preference in your plants over time.

And sometimes they'll grow a split branch!

Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:59:08 AM »
It also could be a result of what plants were combined to produce the fruit in the first place. If someone used pollen from a different species of cactus, the resulting seeds could have characteristics of one or both parent. That's one of the perils of growing dragon fruit from seeds, is that you never know what you're going to end up with. The fruit itself is just the chamber the seeds develop in, much like the womb of a person or even an dog or cat. If you mate two dogs, say a Chihuahua and a pit bull, you never know what sort of combination youre going to end up with, or even if the pups in the litter will all have the same combination of traits. Dragon fruit breeding is the same. Every pairing can yield a slightly different result, even a combination of the same 2 parents can yield variations in what plants the seeds produce. Sometimes the result can be a near clone of the mother plant, or you could end up with some strange new (and not necessarily better) species. Its why the normal way to grow these plants for the common folk like us is the cutting. You know what youre going to get that way: the same thing as the plant the cutting came from.
BTW, theres a established thread on dragon fruit on this board, if you 'd like to join us there, and theres usually a bit of info being passed around this time of year.
Anyways, good luck with your plants.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
mine went from a 3-sided to a 2 sided...
its (supposed to be) purple haze.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
So, I have some dragon fruit plants that I have grown from seed. 
I bought the fruits in different areas of the world at farmer's markets.  Both dark red flesh and very tasty, so I brought some seeds home.
All the plants from one fruit are 4-sided, and all the plants from the other are 3-sided.
Any idea why?  I am guessing different varieties?  All my other dragon fruit have always been 3-sided.

Can you post a picture of the 4-sided plant.

I am growing Peruvian Apple cactus from seed and all the plants are 4-sided.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk