Author Topic: ID Mango tree problem  (Read 3665 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
ID Mango tree problem
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
New mango leaves problem.
What could be the problem?

This is a coconut cream

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: ID Mango tree problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Maybe a fungal issue? Powdery mildew?
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
Gozp,
If you are watering daily, alter the watering schedule by doing deeper soaks every three days instead ....while we are having upper 80's F weather.
Small leaf pushes are not necessarily a bad thing.  Many of the smaller leaves will fall off in hot/sunny weather no matter what you do.  But shade cloth is not needed, unless we hit 105F.
You can give the tree a little fertilizer too.
To me, the tree and growth still look healthy.  Nothing to really worry about in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:45:02 AM by wslau »
Warren

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:03:00 AM »
I have the same problem with my kent tree, here is the thread where i asked about it, you can see some photos. I was told that it needed more water and fertilizer. 2 monthes later, l still have flushes that are stunted, i did even spray sulphur on it and it didn't change, some of the new growth flushes still show these signs of wilted stunted leaves with some spots on it like yours.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20314.msg251815#msg251815
I hope we will have other similar experiences here.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
Am I missing something?  Your tree looks fine to me, I would not worry.
- Marley

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
I've performed countless searches for nutrient deficiencies and mango diseases including fungal and I have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue. I have seen it on numerous occasions, including on my own trees and it appears to happen more on younger, unestablished trees.

It could very well be a fungal issue and the damage does look most like Powdery Mildew but there are numerous other fungal diseases that may be causing the issue. I hate to guess what it is, with my background in genetics and microbiology, the only way to know for sure is to send out samples for DNA analysis.

For my own trees, I've treated the issue by soil drenching with Cal/Mag solution and application of soil sulphur. Shinzo pointed out that he sprayed with sulphur and that did not correct the issue.

Anybody know where Har is? Har is a true Mango expert and I trust his judgement when it come to diagnosing Mango issues.

If you have the money, you can try one of the systemic copper fungicides and if it gets rid of the issue, then we know it was most likely a fungal issue. We really need to find out if this is a fungal or nutrient issue. Previously when I treated it as a nutrient deficiency, it could have been coincidental that the issue was corrected because I was able to strengthen my plants enough to enable it to fight off the potential fungal problem. Uptake of sulphur may have also been enough to inhibit further fungal growth.

I am leaning more towards it being a fungal issue because if it was a nutrient deficiency, you would expect to see it more spread out through the canopy in specific patterns such as affecting most new growth, mostly older growth but not only on specific branches of new growth.

Simon

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »
I see this problem as well and cant figure out. however, mother nature has not been kind to us with very wild swing in temps., last week inland empire was cooling down to 59 degrees while day temps hot almost 100's. too much stress for new growth I guess.

shinzo

• Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
I've performed countless searches for nutrient deficiencies and mango diseases including fungal and I have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue. I have seen it on numerous occasions, including on my own trees and it appears to happen more on younger, unestablished trees.

It could very well be a fungal issue and the damage does look most like Powdery Mildew but there are numerous other fungal diseases that may be causing the issue. I hate to guess what it is, with my background in genetics and microbiology, the only way to know for sure is to send out samples for DNA analysis.

For my own trees, I've treated the issue by soil drenching with Cal/Mag solution and application of soil sulphur. Shinzo pointed out that he sprayed with sulphur and that did not correct the issue.

Anybody know where Har is? Har is a true Mango expert and I trust his judgement when it come to diagnosing Mango issues.

If you have the money, you can try one of the systemic copper fungicides and if it gets rid of the issue, then we know it was most likely a fungal issue. We really need to find out if this is a fungal or nutrient issue. Previously when I treated it as a nutrient deficiency, it could have been coincidental that the issue was corrected because I was able to strengthen my plants enough to enable it to fight off the potential fungal problem. Uptake of sulphur may have also been enough to inhibit further fungal growth.

I am leaning more towards it being a fungal issue because if it was a nutrient deficiency, you would expect to see it more spread out through the canopy in specific patterns such as affecting most new growth, mostly older growth but not only on specific branches of new growth.

Simon

Simon
@ Simon : I only sprayed the tree once 45 days ago, i don't know if it is enough or not, please take this into consideration when considering discarding the sulphur solution. (i sprayed a second time last week when the new buds where swelling, this did not prevent some of them o have these malformation we are talking about)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
Thank u all for your inputs.

My other mango trees (carrie & lemon zest) are also having the small-not-so-crisp-leaves after having tons of new growth. Out of 6-7 new growth only 2 have the said-problem (picture above).

I never use any synthetic fertilizer.

I was thinking the reason why the leaf are grown-abnormal could be overwatering, insect lurking(leafhopper etc..), lack of nutrient or it could be the problem of turpentine graft?

I dont know whats the culprit; i'll update u guys.

P.s accdng to master gardener frank JF spray it with copper & wslau told me just let it as its normal.

I,myself, decided not to do anything, but to dump all the goodies such as: compost tea(boogie brew & worm gold plus), rock dusts, boogie frass(rich in nitrogen) & pure protein fish protein(15-1-1 w/ iron & zinc plus  amino acids).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:21:53 PM by gozp »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
I have long assumed that this condition is due to Zinc deficiency, as it seemed to go away after several sprays with Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, at a little over 1 cup per hundred gallons.   There were always other ingredients in the sprays also.
Har

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
I have long assumed that this condition is due to Zinc deficiency, as it seemed to go away after several sprays with Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, at a little over 1 cup per hundred gallons.   There were always other ingredients in the sprays also.

;) Thank u so much. Will spam-foliar the leaves high in zinc. :)

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
I spray my trees with a dilute mix of liquid kelp & fish emulsion. It's said that this provides the trees with micro nutrients

My Graham just pushed out about 12 flushes over 6 days which was quite a shock. I sprayed the mangoes lychee and peach with spectracide immunox just a little while ago. It's a fungicide with good reviews. I also use bayer systemic insecticide for fruit. Check it out

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 04:26:09 AM »
Once in a while some of my mango trees would display similar symptom on both soil grown as well as container grown trees. I do not know exactly what caused them, but the closest things I can find is zinc deficiency. So what I did was dissolved 5 grams of ZnSO4 plus 5 grams of FeSO4 in 5 liter H20 and drench the container with the solution and the next flush would appear normal. I have tried foliar application of zinc but did not seem to work.

shinzo

• Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 05:08:35 AM »
The zinc deficiency may be a good guess, i made a little research and i found this article :
http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1940-vol-53/167-171%20(LYNCH).pdf

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 01:41:03 AM »
I have took out all the small leaves including the branch(where the small leaves are attached to).

So far I have dumped Dr Earth Exotic blend, Pure protein plus iron & zinc & 16amino acids, and dumped compost tea, and MULCH MULCH MULCH!

Will update you guys regarding this tree in the near future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk