Author Topic: Diospyros blancoi - Mabolo  (Read 13347 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Diospyros blancoi - Mabolo
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »

Got lucky on this one , only 3 trees and 2 females , climbing a ladder every few days to smell the fruits , as soon as they smell like a Camembert that is ready to be thrown out they should be ready to pick .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Diospyros blancoi - Mabolo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
Luc that is an unusual mabolo and not like ones I usually see around here.The common ones are a big orange seedless disc and red seeded ball but there are many others with flesh that may be white to yellow in color.I find the taste varies dramatically and earlier this year I found a very furry white moist fleshed seeded redskin with pineapple and a hint of cheese flavor.It is amazing the difference between the good ones and the bad ones.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Sorry , I am so bad with computers and on top just changed to a Mac...

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
The wrong pic is Eugenia pyriformis - Sweet uvaia

Have patience with me guys things are not getting easier when you're 68
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
Luc that is an unusual mabolo and not like ones I usually see around here.The common ones are a big orange seedless disc and red seeded ball but there are many others with flesh that may be white to yellow in color.I find the taste varies dramatically and earlier this year I found a very furry white moist fleshed seeded redskin with pineapple and a hint of cheese flavor.It is amazing the difference between the good ones and the bad ones.

Hi Mike and Luc, there really are yellow mabolos, though that photo is not a mabolo. There are also red mabolos and purple ones. Seems like some places, like Guyana, have a lot of diversity. We also just have the orange ones here so far, bu i'mt trying to get some of the other ones.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
I think I know that mabolo type Luc and the aroma is far stronger than the taste.You may find the flesh is drier than what would be ideal.Philipine people here go nuts for them and the govt brought in the seedless ones a long time ago.Seedling trees get pretty big.

I am more interested in the sweet Uvaia which is not an everyday kind of fruit for me like mabolo.If fact I have never even seen one.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
I think I know that mabolo type Luc and the aroma is far stronger than the taste.You may find the flesh is drier than what would be ideal.Philipine people here go nuts for them and the govt brought in the seedless ones a long time ago.Seedling trees get pretty big.

I am more interested in the sweet Uvaia which is not an everyday kind of fruit for me like mabolo.If fact I have never even seen one.

All mabolos i think are seedless when there is no male pollen around.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
Oscar at least one variety never gets seeds and has seedless in the variety name.I think manila red get only the occasional seed in the presence of males.Philipine people tell me some types don't bear fruit without the male and then they are seeded.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
Oscar at least one variety never gets seeds and has seedless in the variety name.I think manila red get only the occasional seed in the presence of males.Philipine people tell me some types don't bear fruit without the male and then they are seeded.

Sex life of diospyros is a bit tricky and not fully understood, just like with black sapote.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Hi Fellow members  ;D,

How do you guy's eat this pilosy teddy bear ;D is it eaten like a peach...fur and all ???

Luc, No need to apologize ;) Both pics look freak'n awesome :)

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »
Seems like some places, like Guyana, have a lot of diversity.

Oscar, in Guyana a lot of mabolo diversity?? How is the explanation, since mabolo comes from PH? I would rather expect mabolo diversity in PH...  ???

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Hi Fellow members  ;D,

How do you guy's eat this pilosy teddy bear ;D is it eaten like a peach...fur and all ???

Steven, it's better to peel them as the cottage cheese smell they have is on the peel. Also fuzzy furry skin is not so much fun to eat.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Seems like some places, like Guyana, have a lot of diversity.

Oscar, in Guyana a lot of mabolo diversity?? How is the explanation, since mabolo comes from PH? I would rather expect mabolo diversity in PH...  ???

I was waiting for someone to ask that question! You're right, originates in Asia, but obviously it was introduced into Guyana long time ago.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
Hi Fellow members  ;D,

Steven, it's better to peel them as the cottage cheese smell they have is on the peel. Also fuzzy furry skin is not so much fun to eat.

Howdy Fruitlovers,
Thanks for shining a light on this subject ;D Mabolo also produces very well In Brazil...Don't know if this tree is commercially grown or just a back yard tree.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
Hi Fellow members  ;D,

Howdy Fruitlovers,
Thanks for shining a light on this subject ;D Mabolo also produces very well In Brazil...Don't know if this tree is commercially grown or just a back yard tree.

Seems like this plant was well dispersed long ago to any place that has Phillippine immigrants. But they seem to be the only ones that really appreciate this fruit. Never see this fruit for sale here although there are some backyard trees around. BTW, mabolo has naturalized here. It is found growing wild around the University on Manoa campus, not far from Honolulu.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
Hi Fellow members  ;D,

Howdy Fruitlovers,

Seems like this plant was well dispersed long ago to any place that has Phillippine immigrants. But they seem to be the only ones that really appreciate this fruit. Never see this fruit for sale here although there are some backyard trees around. BTW, mabolo has naturalized here. It is found growing wild around the University on Manoa campus, not far from Honolulu.

Bunch of fruit trees were brought with immigrants like Ackee. It's truly awesome to hear that the Mabolo has naturalized it self in Hawaii...One of these days, I will wonder the Manoa Campus and harvest a bountiful harvest of these fruits and of course share with you  ;D ;D ;D.
Time is like a river.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »
A Mabolo grower suggested  , smell the fruit , if there is a cheese- like odor the fruit is ripe , remove the skin leave in fridge overnight and eat...

Have been climbing the ladder and smell the fruits for 2 weeks now ( my workers think I am getting senile ) , no Camembert smell yet...

Now that I have to go to Europe , I am sure the fruit will fall and I am gonna mis tasting a ripe ( not overripe ) mabolo again , story of my life....

I must say I am surprised by the quantity of fruit for a first fruiting . Hopefully there will be seeds . One male 2 female . 
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »
Mabolo is another waist of time!  A stinky fruit that has not decided what to taste like!  I got some fruits, as a gift, this weekend, and they are full of seeds and almost no flesh! However, the stinky smell is all over!
Mabolo is a good looking fruit!  That's it!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Mabolo is another waist of time!  A stinky fruit that has not decided what to taste like!  I got some fruits, as a gift, this weekend, and they are full of seeds and almost no flesh! However, the stinky smell is all over!
Mabolo is a good looking fruit!  That's it!

Have to totally disagree Berto. I just picked some and are totally delicious and zero seeds. The slight smell is gone as soon as you peel the fruit. I suggest not bringing the fruit indoors. They will smell very strong indoors.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
I also ate a seedless mabolo, last year.  Same thing, a good looking fruit that is not worth planting.  It tastes like a mealy stinky cheesy mixture of nothing plus something hard to describe!  I would use the orchard space for something else!  Mabolo belongs in a botanical garden.  Very pretty fruit with a funky worthless taste!  Just an opinion!  8) 8)
Take a look at today's photos!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »
Berto that one sure has very little flesh yield and there are mealy and bland ones, as well as those where the parmesan smell pervades the flesh.That one is perhaps a combination of all the poor characters in one fruit.I have also found some seedless types to be fairly plain but not all.There are much better ones out there that reach the heights of 'mediocrity' and even some that take the fruit quality into the zone approaching 'good'.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Mike,
Thanks!
I will stay with a nice mango, longan, lychee, or a jabuticaba tree, instead!  Real estate is getting precious!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
Berto I have met philipine people who would turn their noses up at those species for the chance to eat mobolo,santol,langsat and marang.They tank up on these fruits at every opportunity and even enjoy the poorer quality ones.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
You are giving me hope Mike.....I hate to pamper a tree for X years and then finding out it is just ornamental .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Mike,
Thanks!
I will stay with a nice mango, longan, lychee, or a jabuticaba tree, instead!  Real estate is getting precious!
E

There are also some pretty terrible mangos, if you look for them! Even some lychees and longans are pretty blah. Sounds to me like you have the worst of the mabolos also.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk