Author Topic: Excessive rain, melting snow may cause worst California flooding since 1997  (Read 10736 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/weekend-storm-to-unload-widespread-heavy-rain-in-western-us/70000459

Fill up those mango trees and reservoirs!

I think El Nino is still in semi-effect...we have more rain than usual here. Though not as much as last winter with a declared El Nino in the Pacific ocean.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:34:33 PM by zands »

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
I'm feeling the effects firsthand. My pool has been draining for hours, but the pump is still underwater!!!
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/weekend-storm-to-unload-widespread-heavy-rain-in-western-us/70000459

I think El Nino is still in semi-effect...we have more rain than usual here. Though not as much as last winter with a declared El Nino in the Pacific ocean.

Atmospheric River Event

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/california-atmospheric-river-sierra-snow-flood-forecast-jan2017

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel

"An onslaught of excessive rain and mountain snow will threaten lives and property in northern and central California into next week."

Only have had 6.5 inches of rain total for the season where I live.

How many inches of rain for the rest of you?

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile

"An onslaught of excessive rain and mountain snow will threaten lives and property in northern and central California into next week."

I believe about 8 inches today

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
Actually, I'm not sure. I can't find a solid weather report just for the day.

ricshaw

• View Profile

Is that for only today or the whole season?  :o

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile

Is that for only today or the whole season?  :o

I think it meant for the season since I can't find a real weather report for the day.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
There is a decent amount more on its way.  Totals will vary based on location....there is a pipeline flow in the Pacific...
- Rob

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
swimming pool started out empty in Sept. and now almost full. I think two more rounds of rain like Friday and I the pool will be full and I will have plenty of 100% rainwater for the garden. for 2017.

lazdoggy

• SoCal 10b
    • View Profile
I have sandy soil covered in tree trimmers mulch, which is fairly moist from the rain we've been getting.  I divert overflow from my rainwater tanks to different areas of the garden (in between trees) hoping to saturate the soil in preparation for the dry season.  Is this worth the effort or should I be concerned about leaching??
James

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
I think that is a very good idea.  Keep as much of the rainwater on your property as possible.  Soil, mulch, swales and  hugelkultur mounds, are among the best places to "store" rainwater...

I have sandy soil covered in tree trimmers mulch, which is fairly moist from the rain we've been getting.  I divert overflow from my rainwater tanks to different areas of the garden (in between trees) hoping to saturate the soil in preparation for the dry season.  Is this worth the effort or should I be concerned about leaching??

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile

I have had about 5.8 inches of rain for the season so far here in San Diego.  That isn't bad since we average around 9.5 inches annually.  Over the next two weeks we are suppose to get additional rain and perhaps an extra inch tomorrow.  January and February are our rainiest months, so if this rainfall keeps up, we may go beyond our average for the year.  Not bad for a supposed La Nina winter!  I have had the irrigation system off the last three weeks and the soil is still moist from the last rain we had.  I hope flooding is not bad in central and northern California, but I am glad we are getting rain down in the south - we need it!
Bob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
We are at about 8" and 4" forecast this week. That's 2" below the yearly average which started in November

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile

I have had about 5.8 inches of rain for the season so far here in San Diego.  That isn't bad since we average around 9.5 inches annually.  Over the next two weeks we are suppose to get additional rain and perhaps an extra inch tomorrow.  January and February are our rainiest months, so if this rainfall keeps up, we may go beyond our average for the year.  Not bad for a supposed La Nina winter!  I have had the irrigation system off the last three weeks and the soil is still moist from the last rain we had.  I hope flooding is not bad in central and northern California, but I am glad we are getting rain down in the south - we need it!

Flooding is horrible. Enormous amounts of rain and super heavy storms destroying trees.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
Spent all morning using a bucket to scoop freezing water off of my pool cover in pouring rain. We also have a ShopVac that sucks up 12 gallons of water going as well as a pump that pumps out five gallons per minute. There were about 700 gallons of water initially, and now around 500 gallons. The torrential rains are picking up and threatening to reverse the little progress we made. The middle of the pool cover is over a foot deep.

ricshaw

• View Profile
Flooding is horrible. Enormous amounts of rain and super heavy storms destroying trees.

Spent all morning using a bucket to scoop freezing water off of my pool cover in pouring rain. We also have a ShopVac that sucks up 12 gallons of water going as well as a pump that pumps out five gallons per minute. There were about 700 gallons of water initially, and now around 500 gallons. The torrential rains are picking up and threatening to reverse the little progress we made. The middle of the pool cover is over a foot deep.

Where in the great state of California are you located?

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile

Marin, outside of San Francisco

ricshaw

• View Profile

Marin, outside of San Francisco

Sun & blue skies down where I live. No rain yesterday or today. Significant rain predicted for tomorrow.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mid 70's last few days some rain early Saturday morning
Waiting for the monster storm. tomorrow it will dump 3"and 3" more during the week

Trees are looking fantastic. I'm  sure glad I didn't give up on my grass didn't put the crappy artificial turf

Cuban fiberless still pumping flowers

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:07:15 PM by JF »

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
The rain stopped recently but the wind is still active.

ricshaw

• View Profile
I saw this on Yahoo:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Stranded motorists were pulled from cars stuck on flooded Northern California roads as thunderstorms arrived Sunday as part of a massive winter storm that could be the biggest to slam the region in more than a decade.

Crews cleared trees and debris following mudslides caused by steady rain accompanying the system that could dump 15 inches in foothill areas as it gained strength throughout the day. Several feet of snow was expected at higher elevations in the Sierra Nevada.

Authorities reported rescues in Marin and Sonoma counties, including an operation along U.S. 101 where several people were plucked from submerged vehicles. No injuries were reported.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
I saw this on Yahoo:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Stranded motorists were pulled from cars stuck on flooded Northern California roads as thunderstorms arrived Sunday as part of a massive winter storm that could be the biggest to slam the region in more than a decade.

Crews cleared trees and debris following mudslides caused by steady rain accompanying the system that could dump 15 inches in foothill areas as it gained strength throughout the day. Several feet of snow was expected at higher elevations in the Sierra Nevada.

Authorities reported rescues in Marin and Sonoma counties, including an operation along U.S. 101 where several people were plucked from submerged vehicles. No injuries were reported.

Yep Marin is going crazy. We're pumping thousands of gallons of water an our of our pool cover with little to no progress. Even when I think it will stop raining, it just decreased.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Pineapple express baby. I think we've had around 6-7 inches in December...hoping for more. Less watering time= More kid time for me. Stay safe everyone. Chris
-Chris

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
I think that is a very good idea.  Keep as much of the rainwater on your property as possible.  Soil, mulch, swales and  hugelkultur mounds, are among the best places to "store" rainwater...

I know the answer is "it depends," but for how long can the soil retain water? This is my garden area (actually a paddock, but I have no horses):

The trail to the right has a lot of runoff during our brief winter rainy season, when I don't have anything growing in the garden anyway. If I could divert the rain into the paddock and flood it, could that water be available to my plants later? Like in the summer? Or would it just drain away below ground?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk