Author Topic: Passion Fruit All Year?  (Read 2097 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Passion Fruit All Year?
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
Are there any passion fruit that produce all-year? 

I've been enjoying my first crop of Possum Purple more than I thought I would.  Pretty sure it only fruits once a year (in the fall), so I'd like to add other varieties to fill in throughout the year.

Any suggestions? 

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Passion Fruit All Year?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
Mine flowers 3x a year. No more no less.
Anisha

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »
What variety is yours?

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »
Purple possum from Lara Farms.
Anisha

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
I bought seeds of a few varieties to see if that helps spread out the season.  I'm guessing it will be a couple years until I get fruit from them, but there isn't much selection of plants in my area.  I ordered Black Knight, Panama Red Pandora, and Panama Gold.

sildanani, You have the same plant from the same place as mine.  This was the first year with it in the ground.  The frost froze it back to the last few inches of the plant (was 10 feet in each direction), but I will try to protect next year.  I wasn't sure how much cold it would take.  It did okay until the two nights that were 21 and 20 F back to back.  Most of my other plants did much better in the temporary greenhouses.  Is your plant is a greenhouse then?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
My P. Edulis (yellow) fruits 2x per year once in summer and again right now in late January and February.  Second crop isn't as large as the first, but I'm not complaining :-)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:07:24 AM »
I bought seeds of a few varieties to see if that helps spread out the season.  I'm guessing it will be a couple years until I get fruit from them, but there isn't much selection of plants in my area.  I ordered Black Knight, Panama Red Pandora, and Panama Gold.

sildanani, You have the same plant from the same place as mine.  This was the first year with it in the ground.  The frost froze it back to the last few inches of the plant (was 10 feet in each direction), but I will try to protect next year.  I wasn't sure how much cold it would take.  It did okay until the two nights that were 21 and 20 F back to back.  Most of my other plants did much better in the temporary greenhouses.  Is your plant is a greenhouse then?
My vine is in a heated greenhouse. I keep it between 65 and 85 year round. Also, would the seeds you planted grow true to type? Could be some variability. :o
Anisha

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
Yeah... I had the same thought about seeds, but the guy selling them (at buyrareseeds.com) claims they are "F1 seeds" from controlled pollination.  I'm not that familiar with the practice.  He claims the plants will be correct type, but any seeds from the next generation would not be correct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk