Author Topic: Dwarf Namwah ... uhhhhh.....  (Read 2216 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Dwarf Namwah ... uhhhhh.....
« on: March 24, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
So I used to have a Dwarf Namwah that I got from Going Bananas. Everyone says it is a great banana plant. It grew great from me all last summer, took the heat just fine. I moved it to a different spot in my yard because I had it potted and I wanted it in the ground. Long story short ... I killed it by underwatering.

Not the plants fault, totally my fault. And as it grew all last summer it had gorgeous green typical banana leaves.

So I decide to get another one this spring. Not from Going Bananas but another place.

I get the tree in and this is what I get:

.... uhhhh ... this does not look a Dwarf Namwah to me.

So this is what I wrote to them:

"I just received an order in which I ordered a Dwarf Namwah banana. However the banana that I received is not a Dwarf Namah. The leaves have red splotches on them. See attached picture. Based on the spotches, I think it is either Siam Ruby or Sumatran X or something similar. It is definitely not Dwarf Namwah which have solid green leaves (I used to have one, so I know what it should look like)."

This is what they responded with:

"We have spoken to our horticulturist and he said that since these are made by tissue culture it is possible for the Nam Wah to have red color variations. This is the correct banana even though your last one had only green leaves."

Does this pass muster?

I did a quick Google search to see if Namwah ever has red splotches and could not find anything.

So the question to the banana experts here is: Can Dwarf Namwah have red splotches?
- Mark

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Namwah ... uhhhhh.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
Hi Mark, i am no expert but i do have the dwarf Namwah ALL GREEN LEAVES , however that is not why i am sticking my nose in i would like to know why for the past few months so many of the postings with photos just show me a square with a red X in it and no photo, on a second note if your bannana does not work out for you of you would just like a new one let me know i can send a corm or pup.          Regards     Patrick

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
Don't give up on the dead one either, keep watering the area it was who knows. A neighbor gave me
a small pup from her finger bananas and it didn't flourish even though I watered it. I dug it up and through it in
my mulch pile. Now it is 12 feet and looks better then my bananas I care for. It definitely loves the mulch pile.
As far as the red blotches I would grow it up and see in 6 months what it looks like. I know some people tell me
to never buy tissue culture plants. The reason is that the plants have never been exposed to anything and have no
immunity? I also should have pups later this year from Dwarf Namwah if you need one? My namwah has only had one
pup and I don't recall red on the juvenile leaves
Mike

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »
Hi Mark, i am no expert but i do have the dwarf Namwah ALL GREEN LEAVES , however that is not why i am sticking my nose in i would like to know why for the past few months so many of the postings with photos just show me a square with a red X in it and no photo, on a second note if your bannana does not work out for you of you would just like a new one let me know i can send a corm or pup.          Regards     Patrick

Hey Patrick!

Thanks, that's what I figured. Regarding the pics: Man, I have no idea why that is happening for you. The pics show up for me without issue.

Thanks for the offer on the pups / corms! I might take you up on it!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »
Don't give up on the dead one either, keep watering the area it was who knows. A neighbor gave me
a small pup from her finger bananas and it didn't flourish even though I watered it. I dug it up and through it in
my mulch pile. Now it is 12 feet and looks better then my bananas I care for. It definitely loves the mulch pile.
As far as the red blotches I would grow it up and see in 6 months what it looks like. I know some people tell me
to never buy tissue culture plants. The reason is that the plants have never been exposed to anything and have no
immunity? I also should have pups later this year from Dwarf Namwah if you need one? My namwah has only had one
pup and I don't recall red on the juvenile leaves
Mike

Mike,

Thanks, that is good advice. I will keep watering it, give it some compost, and see what happens. And thanks for the offer!
- Mark