Author Topic: Avocado ID  (Read 1327 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Avocado ID
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
This was sold simply as a Florida avocado at a Save-a-Lot grocery store. Bought two and they were delicious. Is an ID possible from this pic? I planted the seeds. Thanks!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado ID
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »
Seems like a weird time for Florida avocados unless they were chilled somewhere?
I get veggies twice a week from my Sav-a-lot to feed my tortoises and the avocados from
my store say Honduras right now. I planted 6 seeds last year and used one for rootstock and
planted one in the ground. The one in the ground from seed is doing real well and handled a
couple nights in the low 30s without protection. It has a split trunk and I thought I could graft
2 different scions to it. But I kinda want to see what it turns into and I planted it in a far off corner
bordering 2 neighbors. I will attach a link to PI website that has pitures of some avocados

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/variety-viewer-variety-avocado-reference-1

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the link! I'm guessing they were most likely Marcus (shape and color both in and out) or maybe Reed. Good to know about the cold hardiness, too. What kind of tortoises do you keep? I keep Florida kingsnakes. Thanks again.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:43:07 PM »
That is a Carla avocado, they come form Dominican Republic. They are in Public now
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:57:30 PM »
Thanks, Carlos!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk