Author Topic: Kona Sugarloaf is Fruiting!  (Read 2797 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Kona Sugarloaf is Fruiting!
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
I bought 4 of these from wellspring100 via eBay in January of 2015, and they're finally fruiting:

All 4 are fruiting at the same time, and are at approximately the same stage. It sure took them a long time to get going. For the first year or so they hardly grew at all.

I know a lot of people have been disappointed by their purchased plants being of a different variety than promised.

Based on the leaves and coloring, do these look like genuine Kona Sugarloafs?

How big do they get, compared to Smooth Cayenne (which is what I assume all my other plants are, since they're propagated from store-bought fruit)?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Kona Sugarloaf is Fruiting!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:33 PM »
Congrats! Yes those look like sugarloafs. They are smaller than cayenne pineapples. But if well fed can get pretty good sized.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:23:59 AM »
Very nice. Thanks for confirming that they have the real sugarloaf. I ordered from them but decided to cancel the order. I still want to grow the thornless variant of it.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
Congratz there looking good
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
Congrats! Yes those look like sugarloafs. They are smaller than cayenne pineapples. But if well fed can get pretty good sized.
]

What's the latest wisdom on feeding pineapples? I'm assuming it's too late for these ones, but I can plan for the future!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
The fruit were good! They were small, but very tasty. The plants also did a lot multiplying after harvest. I twisted off 20+ good-sized suckers/slips, while still leaving the best/largest/most-central one on the 4 mother plants for the next crop:

I didn't want to bother with shipping these, so I gave them all away locally.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »

If mine look like Kona Sugarloafs, then what are these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8LKJOO/

These have zero red in the foliage, whereas mine have quite a bit, especially on new leaves and around the fruit.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
the one from the amazon link has smooth leaves and yours has rough/spines on the leaves not sure they are the same  but there are many different crosses of sugarloaf pineapple plants out there
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
Yes! Mine are pretty sharp! I need to wear gloves when working on them, and I really should be wearing long sleeves, as well.

I'm not sure exactly how to guarantee lineage on plants bought over the internet.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
well i think he is thinking of Kaui Sugarloaf which has no spines even on offspring and here is a picture of one

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
well i think he is thinking of Kaui Sugarloaf which has no spines even on offspring and here is a picture of one

Yup, Jude's are smooth...I believe there is another thread that goes into this.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »
Yes, there is a thread about the sugarloaf pineapples. The 'Kona Sugarloaf' is spiny, the 'Sugarloaf' is spineless.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Yes, there is a thread about the sugarloaf pineapples. The 'Kona Sugarloaf' is spiny, the 'Sugarloaf' is spineless.

Thanks! I'm just waiting for the day when we'll have Ronco Home DNA Sequencers in every home, and we'll be able to just puree a leaf to ID every plant in our gardens.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk