Author Topic: Need advise for planting Manila Mango in SoCal (Whittier)  (Read 1403 times)

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
Need advise for planting Manila Mango in SoCal (Whittier)
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
My intent is to plant this Manila at my parents house.   I just got it from Lowes for $25 and will graft some variety on it.  I will be here only through the weekend and in fact I'm leaving today and will be back on Friday.  I need advise on planting here.  It's completely clay soil.  Should I amend the soil?  Plant it on a mound?  They will have a sprinkler watering it daily.  I know it's not ideal but that's what we have to work with. 

Second question is, should I graft it this year?  My concern is really my parents who are getting up in age (low 80's).  I'd like to get them some fruit while they are still here. 

Van

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:46:52 PM by vanman »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise for planting Manila Mango in SoCal (Whittier)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
I am not an expert but if its all clay and watered daily, some perlite and compost and a mound sounds like a good idea.

Probably want to give it a year at least before grafting mature wood on it or it will be fruiting this winter before its ready to hold mangos.  Since its already August, its probably not going to grow much this year also.  Maybe put some osmocote or some kind of slow release fertilizer in there too since you won't be around to feed it.
Brad Spaugh

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Van,

I think Whittier has fertile soil and not very heavy clay as some might think. I would just dig a large hole 2’ diameter and plant the tree 1-2” higher than the soil level – tree will settle down in the dug up soft soil. Build a basin 1 foot around the trunk – don’t want the water concentrates at the trunk leading to bounded root – to encourage rooting outward for a stronger tree. Hammer down two strong stakes outside the basin and tie the tree to the stakes to keep it up in the windy days. The center stake comes with the pot is not enough. Graft it not later  than October to avoid killing the new graft when it might flower/fruit next spring.

No sprinkler water in cold winter as this would kill it (root rot). it's fine in hot summer.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Hi Van, i have never been a fan of amending soil, i would rather keep a nice mulch on top if the soil is really clay watering it daily would most likely be waaay to much and you would rot the roots, i would graft it now if you have the wood worst thing that can happen is you wind up pugging the tree, one year from now is really a long way off.        Regards    Patrick

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  When I dug the hole, my kids actually, it wasn't clay-like at all.  It was nice and soft and easy to dig.  Just from the grey color of the soil did I assume it was clay.  I also went ahead a grafted sweet tart to it and like Patrick said if it doesn't take hopefully I'll have multiple branches next year.  I lightly amended the soil because it just looked like inorganic with no organic components.  I munched the top and turned the sprinkler head a little away from the tree. 

As an aside, here is a mango tree I saw just a couple of miles away in Whittier.  I talked to the owner and she said that it was planted about 17 years ago from a seed.  She said the fruit was sweet and it has fibers.  She didn't know the variety, I surmise that it's probably a Tommy Atkins, probably the only thing they had back then. She was also surprised I asked about the fiber and said don't all mangos have fiber?  She says people will come into her yard and take fruit.  They've climbed the tree and broke branches.  Too bad. 

Thanks for the advise and will keep my fingers crossed.