Author Topic: White stringy substance on my limequat  (Read 2175 times)

TropicMike

• Kissimmee
    • View Profile
White stringy substance on my limequat
« on: September 16, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
Hi all,

My recently purchased and pot-planted limequat has some strange stringing from the flowers.  I'm guessing it might be where some insect poked a hole to feed and the sap drizzled-out?

I also just noticed some very small (1/8 or so) flies so I hosed it down with Natura neem oil.  About 12 days ago, I also applied Bayer Fruit Citrus and Vegetable insect control as directed (mixed with water and poured into the soil).  I'm concerned that the systemic insecticide wasn't preventing the flies I just hosed with neem oil.

I'd appreciate any input on whether or not to worry about this, or other tips.  As you can see, there are plenty of flowers getting ready to open on one of the branches (I'm guessing I'll need to pinch some off to not have too many fruits on such a small tree?)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gi3rjwdir56cxqn/AADVfx0PTIp3NXsIrUHwlOl8a?dl=0

Please note that you can use the +/- buttons below the photos to really zoom-in.

Thanks!
Mike
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:50:25 PM by TropicMike »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: White stringy substance on my limequat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
That appears to be the asian citrus psyllid nymphs feeding on your tree.  The white strings is their excretement.  Do not let these remain on your tree as these spread citrus greening.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74155.html

TropicMike

• Kissimmee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Great....  Figures my very first attempt at growing fruit would have some massive issue right after buying it and re-planting...

What is a 'fruit safe' foliar spray I can use for those?  I see the article you linked mentions pyrethroid beta-cyfluthrin, which I think I have in my Bayer Total Insect Control I use in the yard, but I'm hesitant to put that on something we'll be eating unless it's OK for that.  Or, do you think if I keep-up with a neem oil spray every few days, that'd do the trick (and I'll hit the soil drench Bayer Citrus nicotenoid again in a couple weeks).

Thanks,
Mike

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
Neem oil/insecticial soap kills the acp and its nymphs.  I dont think you can grow citrus without the soil drench imidacloprid in central and south florida due to how pervasive citrus greening is.  I dont know what people are doing in your region but there are some on this forum that do have citrus growing there.  I

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
The chances of your trees living very long in Florida is not good.  You MUST keep the Asian citrus psyllids from feeding on your trees, if you don't the chance of them living long is zero.  From the pictures you shown, it may already be too late. If kept outside you could put them in a screened enclosure.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:48:44 AM by Millet »

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »
Soil drench with Macho 2.0 or  Bayer Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control (available in most lowes or homedepot) -advise to treat all your citrus immediatly.  Foliar spray  Malathion asap. The two act as a systemic and topical insecticide that will kill them. Asian citrus psyllid  is the host for the citrus greening bacteria that kills citrus.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
On the tag of the plant wrapped around the trunk usually will give you the soil drench date. The fact that there are as many droppings suggest that the initial drench from the store was...non existant  or expired...as it would have killed they nymphs once they began feeding imo.

TropicMike

• Kissimmee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »
I have a couple leaves with yellow between the veins (kinda a rectangular matrix pattern).  Does that show it's got the disease?  It's too dark right not take a photo.  I don't have the tags from Lowes which might show the treatment date :(  I have it in my pool cage, but the tiny flies could make it through the screen and at Lowe's, it was just open patio.

I can't believe there's not some kind of antibiotic to feed the trees to kill a bacteria, especially when it's so industry-wide (CA and FL).

I guess I'll hope to get a harvest out of this, and then use the Lowe's "one year guarantee" the tree came with if it doesn't improve...  What a bummer - I was so excited to grown my own lime type fruits for iced tea and other drinks.  This is making me think it's not worth the time or expense -- too bad I bought the citrus fertilizer, citrus insecticide, etc. already - money down the hole.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »
If it were me I would call the store and explain the situation. In an effort to minimize transmission they may allow you to destroy the plant and return the root ball with receipt for exchange on the premise that the soil drench was ineffective and the plant will sucumb. That would be the right thing for them to do..The soil drench by itself in reality wont stop the spread ..only kill the existing ones on the plant..not allowing them to move on with the disease.
Unfortunatly there is no way to tell if your plant has acquired the disease at it is too premature to see the effects but there is a high probability due to you geographical proximity to high transmission rates.  That alone should be enough of an argument, but you never now. 

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
It isn't legal for a nursery to sell trees infected with psyllids or other insects. I'd take the
tree back for a refund if you are sure you bought it like that. You might consider
whether it is advisable to grow any citrus in Florida. The trees are likely to be short
lived due to greening. There is no cure for greening.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:33:29 AM by mrtexas »