Author Topic: Pawpaw fruits  (Read 1584 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Pawpaw fruits
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
Does anyone know when and where to get pawpaw fruits?  I'd like to try some before I invest the time and space for a few trees.  I would like to find a place that has a few different named varieties if I can.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Pawpaw fruits
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
Santee state park not too far from Charleston has a lot of pawpaws growing near the lakefront visible from the hiking trails.
 It is a good long hike to the spots where they are though.
They seem to be the dominant understory tree in some spots, probably several acres in total of thriving mature trees.
Worth a look next Summer, maybe you can beat the raccoons to some fruit or at least pocket a few seeds....
I haven't seen pawpaws anywhere else in the South Carolina lowcountry. That far South you will probably need to grow them in heavy shade similar to the areas they grow in at the State park.
 I was shocked to see a forest of pawpaws beneath the taller trees, it was like being in Kentucky or Tennessee ....

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Santee state park not too far from Charleston has a lot of pawpaws growing near the lakefront visible from the hiking trails.
 It is a good long hike to the spots where they are though.
They seem to be the dominant understory tree in some spots, probably several acres in total of thriving mature trees.
Worth a look next Summer, maybe you can beat the raccoons to some fruit or at least pocket a few seeds....
I haven't seen pawpaws anywhere else in the South Carolina lowcountry. That far South you will probably need to grow them in heavy shade similar to the areas they grow in at the State park.
 I was shocked to see a forest of pawpaws beneath the taller trees, it was like being in Kentucky or Tennessee ....

Awesome!  I'll have to check it out.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
Do you remember which trail they were off of?

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/santee/sa-trails.aspx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk