Author Topic: Pakistan/ Indian Mangos... Which are the best to grow in Floridas Climate?  (Read 5910 times)

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Pakistan/ Indian Mangos... Which are the best to grow in Floridas Climate? I have a few Anwar Ratol  growing. Any one tried this variety or others in the same region? Thanks!
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
has your anwar ratol fruited? where did you get it from?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I have Neelam and Malika which both grow fine.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Pakistan/ Indian Mangos... Which are the best to grow in Floridas Climate? I have a few Anwar Ratol  growing. Any one tried this variety or others in the same region? Thanks!

Anwar Ratol is a great mango, at least grow in its homeland.  It is in my top 50, not an easy thing to get into.  I would be keen to see how it produces in a more humid area.  Anyone fruiting this in Florida might find a friend for life...

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
I have kesar, chaunsa, langra, sindhri, anwar ratol and alampur baneshan.  All of them seem to be growing just fine here in Miami.  Kesar bloomed and fruited well last year, but it was still too small so I removed them all.  The rest will need another year or two before I let them fruit.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
I have kesar, chaunsa, langra, sindhri, anwar ratol and alampur baneshan.  All of them seem to be growing just fine here in Miami.  Kesar bloomed and fruited well last year, but it was still too small so I removed them all.  The rest will need another year or two before I let them fruit.

Where did you get your Pakistani mangoes trees ?

There is a seller in ebay selling it , I bought it myself , but was wondering the authenticity of the grafted variety type 

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Kesar does well in South Florida. It is a really good producer, the fruits do not require spraying and tastes great.  I have planted Son Pari as well, based on reports that it does well here. It is growing nicely.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Kesar does well in South Florida. It is a really good producer, the fruits do not require spraying and tastes great.  I have planted Son Pari as well, based on reports that it does well here. It is growing nicely.

If you have pix of your Sonpari please post to verify, no body wants to post pix,  with our real non Florida Sonpari.....the leafs and fruits from Florida's trees are fake.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile

Where did you get your Pakistani mangoes trees ?

There is a seller in ebay selling it , I bought it myself , but was wondering the authenticity of the grafted variety type

I've purchased numerous items (mostly guava) from that seller and never had any issues.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

If you have pix of your Sonpari please post to verify, no body wants to post pix,  with our real non Florida Sonpari.....the leafs and fruits from Florida's trees are fake.

I got mine from Zills; the chances of being fake are next to nothing.. I am out of station but will post photos later this week.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Re: Pakistan/ Indian Mangos... Which are the best to grow in Floridas Climate?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »

I got mine from Zills; the chances of being fake are next to nothing.. I am out of station but will post photos later this week.

Yeah, post pics. We will share with you pics of it's leaves and fruit, leaves have cery distinctive shape to it. We tried to verify our from Florida and reply was it's not real. Response we got was from the creator of sonpari in the Indian research Dept. I would believe on them more than zills on non zill varety unless of course our sonparibfrom zills was mislabeled. Let's check leaves out

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Post yours and we’ll post a real one from Gujarat
Zill is from Florida not from India.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
I have a Bombay mango tree that is one of my absolute favorites each year out of about 30 varieties I own. Grows and fruits well in the humidity, about 20 ft from a lake. Nice clean fruit every year without spraying. It can be a big tree but I keep it pruned to 12-15ft. Mine are 1-1.5 lb fruits, extremely sweet with a little tangy-ness and resin component which I love. Deep orange,juicy and almost fiber free flesh. Basically free stone inside the fruit. Seeds are about the cleanest I've seen, almost no hairs or fibers longer than a couple millimeters. Should be on everyones list to grow in Florida! IMO, of course...

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

Yeah, post pics. We will share with you pics of it's leaves and fruit, leaves have cery distinctive shape to it. We tried to verify our from Florida and reply was it's not real. Response we got was from the creator of sonpari in the Indian research Dept. I would believe on them more than zills on non zill varety unless of course our sonparibfrom zills was mislabeled. Let's check leaves out
Post yours and we’ll post a real one from Gujarat
Zill is from Florida not from India.

Oh my...i have indian varieties from zills  & does that mean zill sells fake mango varieties?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
Son Pari foliage:

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »
Fruit:

At one time there was a PDF document from India describing Son Pari with a photo on the main page.  That PDF doesn't appear to be out there and a google image search produces nothing, but I distinctly recall the fruit in that photo looking like the fruit from our tree and the fruit in the Fairchild display above.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »
Fruit:

At one time there was a PDF document from India describing Son Pari with a photo on the main page.  That PDF doesn't appear to be out there and a google image search produces nothing, but I distinctly recall the fruit in that photo looking like the fruit from our tree and the fruit in the Fairchild display above.

Here is pic of fruit from India, written in Hindi language says sonpari. Waiting on leaves pictures.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:49 PM »
Fruit:

Here is pic of fruit from India, written in Hindi language says sonpari. Waiting on leaves pictures.

That pic is blurry but the shape looks right.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
Fruit:

That pic is blurry but the shape looks right.

Yes, agreed. Shape looks similar.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »
shape is very close the leafs tell the story

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile

Wondering if your Chaunsa and/or Sindhri  fruited this year.    and could give me some feedback on taste,

I am almost certain  but not 100% so,  that I tried a Sindhri,   I picked a few mangoes from the experimental station in this country,  I know that have Sindhri and Chaunsa,  planted but not sure  which trees since they are not marked.    since I know what they do have planted,  by elimination  I concluded the fruit I had was a Sindhri,    although Chaunsa seems to look very similar,  those trees were only added last year,  so do not believe this fruit was from that variety.

Anyway,  the fruit I tried,  were extremely sweet,   and although I enjoyed eating them,  they left this aftertaste,  as if I had eaten raw sugar.  I never thought a mango could be too sweet.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Oh my...i have indian varieties from zills  & does that mean zill sells fake mango varieties?

Just might be the case for this incident which came and went quickly. They were from Zill for just a short time. Alex- Squam told me this twice.
The 2010 Farirchild mango festival had "Mangos from India" theme. Two months later the leftover trees were being sold.

So I got a:
Fernandin
and
Banarasi Langra aka  Langra  Banarasi

It turns out that according to Alex my Langra Banarasi tree is from Florida. No connection to any mango or mango trees currently found in India. How Fairchild and Zill screwed this up? Who knows. I have kept this mango tree....it has a good yield of large un-exciting mangoes that many really like. Good coloration on them.
But FAKE Indian mango tree!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:31:13 AM by zands »

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Just a quick update on the mystery "Indian" mangoes that were supposed to be Arka Puneet, Arka Anmol, Ratna, Banganapalli, Amrapali, Arka Aruna, Sindhu and Arka Neelkiran. To my complete surprise the new leaf growth actually looks right - at least to my completely unqualified eye - when compared with the new leaf growth pics on the Indian National Mango Database.  None have fruited yet tho, so it may just be wishful thinking.  And I am still planning a massive topworking project just in case.... 

I have also picked up Borsha, Malda, Janardhan Pasand, Imam Pasand, Vanraj, Ameeri, Son Pari, Sufaida, Neelam and Jahangir from other (more reliable) sources. The "Chaunsa" and "Sindhri" trees I also purchased from the seller in question are growing very nicely as well, and are definitely not Julie, Alphonso or NDM.  I've started topworking them already but am leaving a couple of branches alone just in case.  I'd love to get lucky :-)  Will keep you all posted.

Best regards,
Scott

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Fruit:

Here's a link to a PDF document with pics of the fruit. Is this possibly the one you are referring to?

http://www.nau.in/pagefiles/112_Mango%20hybrids.pdf

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
as of now, no reliable source of Chaunsa or Anwar Ratol has surfaced. we got scammed by the Ebay seller who said he sold us Anwar and Chaunsa. No one on this forum has been able to post pictures of actual fruit in USA. Richard Campbell few years ago confirmed that Anwar Ratol was a failure for him in production and then he lost the specimen tree, he also had trouble fruiting Chaunsa which was later lost as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk