Author Topic: guy in Colorado growing tropical/subtropical fruit in greenhouse, agroforestry  (Read 1844 times)

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
Highly relevant to this forum, I'm surprised nobody posted this before me! This would be boring, but the agroforestry aspect is wonderful.
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/gy5ejy/how-one-man-is-managing-to-grow-tropical-fruit-in-the-rocky-mountains
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
"Unlike conventional greenhouses, which are energy-intensive, Osentowski's system uses fans to drive warm air into the soil. Certain design elements, like a sauna, water tanks, insulation walls, a hot tub, and rock beds, are passive heating and cooling features that trap heat."

Cool story and I love the ideas presented. The above quote I have issues with since in just in the section above it was talking about it only taking the power of a couple light bulbs. Hot tubs are frikkin expensive and power intensive. I would assume saunas are too having to be hot enough to make steam especially in a cold environment.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
"Unlike conventional greenhouses, which are energy-intensive, Osentowski's system uses fans to drive warm air into the soil. Certain design elements, like a sauna, water tanks, insulation walls, a hot tub, and rock beds, are passive heating and cooling features that trap heat."

Cool story and I love the ideas presented. The above quote I have issues with since in just in the section above it was talking about it only taking the power of a couple light bulbs. Hot tubs are frikkin expensive and power intensive. I would assume saunas are too having to be hot enough to make steam especially in a cold environment.

You ought to see what the Dutch are doing!  Get the latest Nat. Geographic.  You won't believe the ultra high tech stuff and huge production.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

You ought to see what the Dutch are doing!  Get the latest Nat. Geographic.  You won't believe the ultra high tech stuff and huge production.

Hi tech max. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/09/holland-agriculture-sustainable-farming/ Even on internet a fantastic presentation. Holland has been wall to wall farming for quite a while.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile

Hi tech max. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/09/holland-agriculture-sustainable-farming/ Even on internet a fantastic presentation. Holland has been wall to wall farming for quite a while.

Yep, that's it.  Thanks for the link.  I hope everyone links into this page.  It is unreal.

Keep getting Nat. Geo. subscribe nanny stuff.  Any way around that?   :-\  (yeah, I know - subscribe)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:26:51 AM by Mark in Texas »