Author Topic: Truly tropical top 5  (Read 23000 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Truly tropical top 5
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »
Mahachinok a workhorse. I have about 10-12 left in the tree which start ripening in late July to November. I highly recommend this variety to socal growers for its fine quality and extended season.

Good looking fruits and  a great yield from your tree(s)! Mahachinok is a ramped up Nam Doc Mai? So it seems.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks. My Kathy seems like it does not want to grow at all but my Coconut Cream is doing great and the Pina Colada. I pugged my Peach Cobbler but deers kept eating it and eventually it died of stress. Question should I get rid of my Kathy that is ground planted and put my LZ in it’s place. My LZ is in a 35 Gal container.

My peach cobbler was stolen. I planted a three gallon peach cobbler and two weeks later I went to take a look but it was dug out and gone. Was planted 14ft from the road. Most baffling theft on my property. For sure the scum that took it was not able to grow it properly so it died. Rob gave it  infinite praise so this is why I bought one, a good specimen from Bender's Grove.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »
Mahachinok a workhorse. I have about 10-12 left in the tree which start ripening in late July to November. I highly recommend this variety to socal growers for its fine quality and extended season.

Good looking fruits and  a great yield from your tree(s)! Mahachinok is a ramped up Nam Doc Mai? So it seems.

Hi Zands

got more fresh ones from the ground a few left on the tree this seems to be a perfect commercial mango from Socal

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
It's one thing when they pick fruit you waited for years to try

But getting the whole tree makes you start all over

Landscapers with shovels on hand most likely suspects.

Plant another ahead of the rain and I hope you have better luck

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
Thanks. My Kathy seems like it does not want to grow at all but my Coconut Cream is doing great and the Pina Colada. I pugged my Peach Cobbler but deers kept eating it and eventually it died of stress. Question should I get rid of my Kathy that is ground planted and put my LZ in it’s place. My LZ is in a 35 Gal container.

My peach cobbler was stolen. I planted a three gallon peach cobbler and two weeks later I went to take a look but it was dug out and gone. Was planted 14ft from the road. Most baffling theft on my property. For sure the scum that took it was not able to grow it properly so it died. Rob gave it  infinite praise so this is why I bought one, a good specimen from Bender's Grove.
Home owners association......

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2017, 09:55:58 AM »
It's one thing when they pick fruit you waited for years to try

But getting the whole tree makes you start all over

Landscapers with shovels on hand most likely suspects.

Plant another ahead of the rain and I hope you have better luck

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe next spring I will buy a peach cobbler and culture it in a pot. I am out of room for planting trees. Then use my PC tree for scion wood in top grafting. Then sell it a few years later after I have gotten enough scions.

Is peach cobbler that good? I guess it is from reading comments here.

My HOA went crazy on me (but OK now) but I doubt they would dig up my newly planted tree. But being this is Floriduh anything can happen anywhere at anytime by anyone. This state is full of free lancers and free spirits. The wack jobs that used to infest California come here instead. And one of them dug up and took my peach cobbler.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:59:15 AM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »

That just sucks.  I hate thieves and the only way I'd grow in most neighborhoods is behind a secured fence with perhaps a pet rottweiler or pit bull.  We're still old school here where many still don't lock their doors and most respect other's property.

BTW, didn't we have this "what in the hell are you doing planting outside in the open?" conversation either by email or posts?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:03:35 AM by Mark in Texas »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
My best mango of 2017 behind lemon zest. Peach cobbler. Simply tangy goodness of sweetness. Brix 24. A must have for backyard gardeners. Grows compact and produces heavy every year for me.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
My best mango of 2017 behind lemon zest. Peach cobbler. Simply tangy goodness of sweetness. Brix 24. A must have for backyard gardeners. Grows compact and produces heavy every year for me.

Marvelous Behl.  I hope to be a professional grower like u someday.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Amazing job Behl!! It looks picture perfect

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
got more fresh ones from the ground a few left on the tree this seems to be a perfect commercial mango from Socal

Did you see what an enterprising Australian is doing with Maha Chanok mango (at least ten spellings on this mango so hard to track and trace it)   http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2016-07-12/mango-farm-planting-40000-extra-maha-bliss-trees/7558378

Anyone in USA who copies him can make millions. It's all in the marketing to bored city dwellers and bored suburbans w lots of disposable income.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:49:58 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »

That just sucks.  I hate thieves and the only way I'd grow in most neighborhoods is behind a secured fence with perhaps a pet rottweiler or pit bull.  We're still old school here where many still don't lock their doors and most respect other's property.

BTW, didn't we have this "what in the hell are you doing planting outside in the open?" conversation either by email or posts?

A meaningful hedge or fence would carve into my property too much. My town Tamarac maintains a ten foot easement into my property where they are entitled to do anything but in realty prolly never will. But if larded up  with enough Federal money they could put in a sidewalk cutting into my property.
Federal money has paid for (financed) so many stupid and unused  bicycle lanes where I live so anything is possible
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:49:00 PM by zands »

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2017, 05:18:14 AM »
How do true do they come from seed?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
Federal money has paid for (financed) so many stupid and unused  bicycle lanes where I live so anything is possible
Hey, ya never know.  People might get smart someday, and start riding bicycles!  There are a few of us in my neighborhood who do. 
It does improve quality of life.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:11:35 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
Hey, ya never know.  People might get smart someday, and start riding bicycles!  There are a few of us in my neighborhood who do. 

Riding the neighborhood is fine.  Around here this "let's get healthy" trend also creates a bad attitude where they (bicyclists) ride 4 across blocking traffic.  Why?  Because they can.  "Share the road" doesn't seem to be in their mindset - rude is.  I live on a wicked, no shoulders, dangerous state highway and these nuts are on it making it dangerous for our rural community commuters.

Yep, fine Peach Cobbler you have there Behl!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »

Riding the neighborhood is fine.  Around here this "let's get healthy" trend also creates a bad attitude where they (bicyclists) ride 4 across blocking traffic.  Why?  Because they can.  "Share the road" doesn't seem to be in their mindset - rude is.  I live on a wicked, no shoulders, dangerous state highway and these nuts are on it making it dangerous for our rural community commuters.

Yep, fine Peach Cobbler you have there Behl!

You should see what they do here Mark.  Twisty back country road.  Blind turns, double yellow line, no bike lane.  Hills, cliff on the side of the road.  Bikers think its the best thing since sliced bread.  They will be in the road and Im behind them in a full size truck waiting for a safe place to pass.  Then they are waving me to pass them around a blind turn with a cliff on the other side of the road.  They are straight up crazy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:20:24 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2017, 01:46:02 PM »

Come on...are you really using the designated bicycle paths? I see loads of cyclists in packs of 20-50 riding the nicer tree lined streets on Saturday and Sunday. Designated bike paths mean nothing to them. They did this before the bike lanes were put in (make work projects if you ask me)  And they do it now in their spandex outfits/ I have nothing against them

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
Yes, I really do use the bike lanes on Federal Highway in Boca and Delray.  They're great and and make it safer.  I hope they add them to A1A.
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 08:42:56 AM »
In my opinion my risks of being injured/killed while spearfishing with sharks in the area is much lower than riding a bike on the Hwy. without a bike lane... Biking in that situation is too scary and not worth my risks to rewards...

So for exercise and lower risks with still a cardio workout,  I walk on my treadmill in front of the TV vs. any desire to go biking.

Now if some are doing it just for risks and an adrenaline junkie or exhibitionist, I understand but I would prefer other quicker venues for excitement & adrenaline release without backing up the car lanes & offending others; and if an exhibitionist I would just prefer to go to some Natural Florida beaches.  8)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Going the limit on two lane road listening to a toe tapper on the radio when I come to a hill and curve

Just over the top of the hill I see that 3 by 6 inch safety flag dip below vision on the other side

Just in time to slow down before I hit the fifty bikers

One second slower I wouldn't have time to stop

Road is next to West Orange Bike trail

Which was empty of riders and just thirty feet from the road

It's the shorts

Too tight to think

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
You should see what they do here Mark.  Twisty back country road.  Blind turns, double yellow line, no bike lane.  Hills, cliff on the side of the road.  Bikers think its the best thing since sliced bread.  They will be in the road and Im behind them in a full size truck waiting for a safe place to pass.  Then they are waving me to pass them around a blind turn with a cliff on the other side of the road.  They are straight up crazy.

Same road conditions here - tons of hills, turns, blind spots, cliffs with no road shoulders.  Ranchers and farmers have fits as do the general public especially when it comes to annual Hill Country Rides, 100 miles and such.  It's open season in Austin, dumbasses don't think and get killed. 

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
Where I live the cyclists use the bike trails, but badly.

They go the wrong way on one-way streets, and ignore all traffic signs and signals.
They never look both ways at an intersection or entrance. I guess they keep their eyes forward,
and hope for the best.

Actually, those cyclists who use the sidewalks also do it badly.   :-\

But that said, I don't think you really need to replace your Peach Cobbler, Zands. Sure it's great, but how many wonderful mango trees does one family really need?

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »
I pugged my PC around a month ago. It was growing vigorously prior to that. After the Pugging it has not pushed out any branches. Not sure if it's dead. Do you think pugging can kill a mango tree or is it dormant waiting for spring?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
But that said, I don't think you really need to replace your Peach Cobbler, Zands. Sure it's great, but how many wonderful mango trees does one family really need?

I forgot about peach cobbler after the theft but all the positive comments here about PC are getting to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk