Author Topic: Rooting Garcinia cuttings  (Read 1392 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Rooting Garcinia cuttings
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
Has anybody had success rooting cuttings of Garcinias? 

I have a bunch of cuttings of Luc's garcinia, but they are much bigger than my seedling rootstock.  How difficult are they to root?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Garcinia cuttings
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
No. With Garcinia species, seed is always best. Grafts can work if rootstock is compatible

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
I've grafted them with inverted cleft graft and had success with the luc's garcinia scion stems being slightly larger than the rootstock. It appears I centered the stems although I guess the safer bet is to align one sides cambium. I wonder if anyone has tried a inverted veneer graft because that seems like it would be the solution for have a scion that is too thick. Or maybe try cutting out more inner material in the V groove for an inverted cleft graft and thus making the cutaway profile slimmer.

I mean how young are you seedlings, like just sprouted this year?

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
Yeah...Most of the seedlings I have are Lucs seedlings from this year.  I bought a couple of lemon drop mangosteens for rootstock as well and they are about the right size.  But they cost me a fortune for how small they are.

I did try a couple of z-grafts, since I read that was a good option for odd sized scion/rootstock combinations.  I'm not very hopeful though.

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:12 AM »
Well, just to give you some hope. I had 100% graft success with mine surprisingly. A couple of the grafts took way longer than the rest to push but they all eventually took. I've seen that others had good rates of success too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk