Author Topic: Wanted: (Rincon, Hazzard, Shepard, Whitsell) Avocado  (Read 8508 times)

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
Wanted: (Rincon, Hazzard, Shepard, Whitsell) Avocado
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
Looking for scions or grafted plants from the following:
Rincon
Hazzard
Shepard
Whitsell
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:39:43 PM by NissanVersa »

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: (Rincon, Hazzard, Shepard, Whitsell) Avocado
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:48 AM »
  Your best option might be to contact Julie Frink of the CRFG.   She has been able to get budwood from some of these older varieties in the past.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
Rincon
Hazzard
Shepard
Whitsell

I got Hazzard and Rincon from U.C.R., didn't take  Others too, will post letter.   In what and how are you growing?  I assume you want "dwarfs". Get Gwen, Holiday, or Wurtz.  Rincon and Hazzard also tend to stay tidy.

A few of my Sir Prize just turned.   Grafted a Frankencado last year and let this branch hold 5.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Rincon
Hazzard
Shepard
Whitsell

I got Hazzard and Rincon from U.C.R., didn't take  Others too, will post letter.   In what and how are you growing?  I assume you want "dwarfs". Get Gwen, Holiday, or Wurtz.  Rincon and Hazzard also tend to stay tidy.

A few of my Sir Prize just turned.   Grafted a Frankencado last year and let this branch hold 5.

Yes I prefer smaller trees.  Right now I have some 1 1/2 foot tall raised beds I made for my avocado trees.  Im currently growing Brazos Bell, Oro Negro, Monroe, Mexicola Grande as my larger trees.  Lila, Wurtz, Holiday, Day, Utuado, Brogdon and Gem as my small trees.   

I also have 20 varieties of small growing mangos I have growing in the ground for many years. Im lucky to have my lot surrounded by 3 story townhomes that provide excellent cold wind protection while not taking to much of my light periods.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »
Yes I prefer smaller trees.  Right now I have some 1 1/2 foot tall raised beds I made for my avocado trees.  Im currently growing Brazos Bell, Oro Negro, Monroe, Mexicola Grande as my larger trees.  Lila, Wurtz, Holiday, Day, Utuado, Brogdon and Gem as my small trees.   

I also have 20 varieties of small growing mangos I have growing in the ground for many years. Im lucky to have my lot surrounded by 3 story townhomes that provide excellent cold wind protection while not taking to much of my light periods.

Too cool, to find another Texan growing such fine avocados.  Are the cados producing?

Yes, you are luck to have that protection.

My Oro Negro have not turned black yet. Aren't prime until Feb. or March. Here's recent pic of a bunch.

A few of last year's.

I have many of the Zill mangos.  Just did a cocktail tree and expect it to fruit next year - Juicy Peach, Fruit Punch, Pineapple Pleasure, Cotton Candy. Also Peach Cobbler on a Sweet Tart.  Lemon Zest, etc.

FWIW, that Brazos Bell will make a fine rootstock for the best cold hardy Mex out there - Stewart aka Stuart.  Every one of the "Tex Mex" trees has had nothing but bad raps including that crappy Joey I grew.  If you like the taste of grass and want a messy fruit with a big seed, then.....

Grafted Holiday last year to a Frankencado -Ardith, Sir Prize, Holiday, Pinkerton.  The fruit are really large.  Like my fave, Reed, it won't be ready until next Sept., I suppose.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
Very nice, my Oro Negro is young still.  My monroe, wurtz, lila, brazos belle and brogdon produce, the others are still too young, for me to let them hold anything.

I have grown the Joey avocado tree.... It is no more.  What I dont understand is how it ripened so unevenly being such a tiny fruit.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
Very nice, my Oro Negro is young still.  My monroe, wurtz, lila, brazos belle and brogdon produce, the others are still too young, for me to let them hold anything.

I have grown the Joey avocado tree.... It is no more.  What I dont understand is how it ripened so unevenly being such a tiny fruit.

I hope the Lila and Brazos Belle is to your liking.  I cut down my Brogdon below the graft and grafted 4 high quality varieties to the Waldin (rootstock) shoots.  I'm very picky in my old age and found the Brogdon taste/texture fair, has a large seed, thin skin which made for the messiest processing you can deal with.  Take Reed, the skin is like aged leather such that with one scoop of a large spoon you have this perfect chunk of delicious meat.  Reed is the standard that many fruit are judge by. It is unreal.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
I think they are fine tasting that being said I grew up eating Opal avocados from my parents old tree,  so maybe im just used to the taste now.  Other things about the brogdon bother me more, like its low vigor and in my experience, it takes low temperature about as well as my wurtz and holiday, for example during the freeze w nights ago made all the branches droop from the stress.

What size do you mantian the oro nergo, and reed?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »
I think they are fine tasting that being said I grew up eating Opal avocados from my parents old tree,  so maybe im just used to the taste now.  Other things about the brogdon bother me more, like its low vigor and in my experience, it takes low temperature about as well as my wurtz and holiday, for example during the freeze w nights ago made all the branches droop from the stress.

What size do you mantian the oro nergo, and reed?

I keep the Reed at 9-10'.  Oro Negro is rather weeping probably due to my premature topping. It's about 5-6' tall.  I also screwed up the Reed by topping early. It's now a low growing goalpost profile.  Am trying to fill in the middle with a shoot but it's slow going.

Reed.  Where's Waldo?  (wife is in the middle)

Reed produces well.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
Good Aussie variety site.  http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1642/12/07-avo-variety.pdf

Colin Campbell in a 02/06/2007 presentation said, "The best selection for the subtropics and warm temperate zones is Pinkerton, Rincon and Wurtz."  Hazzard is also mentioned as fruiting well in the tropics.

I'm gonna put in a RootBuilder pot for a Pinkerton I'll graft to an Oro Negro rootstock late Feb.  He's being dwarfed by his aggressive bros.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
Great looking fruit on the reed!  I plan on getting a pinkerton and stewart sometime as well.  I was just holding off because there seems to be lots of differences in opinion on tree size which for me determines which beds they will go in.  Thanks for the link, good reference info.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »
The shepard looks like a candidate for me as well if i could find it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
I have shepard,hazzard and reed and just chopped down my wurtz. Shepard is the most tropical climate tolerant of the Guatemalans and has become the main commercial variety of the Atherton Tablelands and they are a small tree. The fruits are one of the best for eating and greener fleshed than most.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I have shepard,hazzard and reed and just chopped down my wurtz. Shepard is the most tropical climate tolerant of the Guatemalans and has become the main commercial variety of the Atherton Tablelands and they are a small tree. The fruits are one of the best for eating and greener fleshed than most.

Good info.  How's the Hazzard?

Lost my Sharwil. There's another excellent fruit:

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
Please let us know if you find a supplier for these hard to find varieties, I live in Conroe Texas and have several in huge nursery tree pots that I protect from hard freezes. So size matters.  :)
I would take scions but if there is someone selling and shipping trees I could go that way to.
Thanks

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
Hazzard is good and like a large hass.Over 10 years ago I planted sharwil, 2 shepards, reed, hazzard and wurtz and as these had the greatest chance of producing in my very warm climate. The tress get too big have been shy bearers but only 400m up in altitude in drier areas I see all go pretty well. Sharwil was first to go as it would not fruit well.Wurtz did alright and got to be a big tree and I chopped it down due to poor production as well. Reed has a few reasonable years and will be chopped soon as will the one remaining shepard and hazard.The trees want to be use and only shepard produces regularly. Avos are cheap in the markets and I don't need huge trees. One to two thousand miles south of me would suit most Guatemalan avos better.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Please let us know if you find a supplier for these hard to find varieties, I live in Conroe Texas and have several in huge nursery tree pots that I protect from hard freezes. So size matters.  :)
I would take scions but if there is someone selling and shipping trees I could go that way to.
Thanks

I posted a source above.  See my order which has the addy.  Other than the nursery Tex-Mex crap and stuff like Hass that's a poor match for Texas, there's no a chance in hell you'll find any of these.  Trust me, I've been looking for many years including every wholesale and retail nursery in SoCal.  Something's always wrong, like they won't ship.

The Hazzard and Rincon wood U.C.R. sent me was in pretty poor shape, complete with black soot.  Of those the Reed, Gwen, Sharwil did fine.

BTW, you can cut your pot's size in half with RootBuilder or MicroKote treated.

Good luck! 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:20:51 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
Hazzard is good and like a large hass.Over 10 years ago I planted sharwil, 2 shepards, reed, hazzard and wurtz and as these had the greatest chance of producing in my very warm climate. The tress get too big have been shy bearers but only 400m up in altitude in drier areas I see all go pretty well. Sharwil was first to go as it would not fruit well.Wurtz did alright and got to be a big tree and I chopped it down due to poor production as well. Reed has a few reasonable years and will be chopped soon as will the one remaining shepard and hazard.The trees want to be use and only shepard produces regularly. Avos are cheap in the markets and I don't need huge trees. One to two thousand miles south of me would suit most Guatemalan avos better.

Interesting about Reed.  Spaugh reported that his Reed has held up well in the scorching Santa Anna winds and hot temps. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
My climate influences fruit set, flowering and even disease abundance. I'm sure reed can handle 115f and higher summer temps in temperate zones like in parts of southern Australia right now. The humid tropics and monsoon cllimates with warm winters is more what I meant.   

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
Hi Nissanversa, I have scions of Whitsell if you can not find them elsewhere.          Regards         Patrick

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
Here's a description of some of these.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
Great information!