Author Topic: My Jackfruit Tree leaves look sickly.....  (Read 3582 times)

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
My Jackfruit Tree leaves look sickly.....
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
Any guesses? As to the causes of these brown spots?
They about a year old.

Thanks
LT

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: My Jackfruit Tree leaves look sickly.....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Could very well be salts. Remember their are many kinds of "salts"

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
I am using tab water, the water does go thru a water softener. The water here is very hard... high on minerals like calcium, magnesium.
The culligan's water softener uses salts to soften the water.

Should I try water that does not go thru the softener system?

Thanks
LT

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
It could be from the ungodly santa ana winds we had the other day, my tropicals suffered a bit of burn like that as well, mainly my cherimoya, cacao, coffee, and soursop. It could also be the hard water, you an flush it out with some reverse osmosis water once a month, anyways, Happy Gardening, Matt

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:23 PM »
It could be from the ungodly santa ana winds we had the other day, my tropicals suffered a bit of burn like that as well, mainly my cherimoya, cacao, coffee, and soursop. It could also be the hard water, you an flush it out with some reverse osmosis water once a month, anyways, Happy Gardening, Matt
Follow Matt’s advice regarding flushing with RO water. Using water softened irrigation is not good for plants. Never use a water softened water for any potted plants. You will have a lot of leaf dieback due to salt accumulation if you continue using softened water.
Bob

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:50:50 PM »
I think the problem is you have year old jackfruits living in solo cups. Jackfruit aren't really happy in normal containers and get rootbound very fast.
-Josh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 02:13:57 AM »
New homes with water softener system bypass hose bib and kitchen faucet so people don't kill themselves and their plants with cheap softener salt. Are you sure you are watering your plants with softened water?

My Reed leaves are nasty from Santa Ana winds. My 6 months old jackfruit plant looks good.

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
I started them in Plastic Cups. hahahaha, some I moved on to bigger Plastic Bottles :)
I plan to move the hardiest one to a 10 Gallon Planter....
These are all indoors
I have some outside too btw, Most dead, or not fairing very well at all. Something like a bird or maybe a squirrel is eating the leaves. hahahahaha
They can not handle the Summer Heat (couple days over 115, summer avg 96) nor the Winter Cold(avg night in 40-50, but we get some at 30)... The hopes is that once I have a bigger one I can try outside. Am also hoping I can grow one to 3-5 feet in the house., I been using the Sink water (thus treated via softener), my water in Garden by passes Softener. Should I try that water? Won't the hard water be just as bad?
Where the hell do I get "reverse osmosis water"? lol
What about Bottle Water? Will look for some cheap bottle water:(

Do I seem lost? I AM!!!!

Thanks
LT

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:41 AM »
 Why not buy a nice very big pot for him?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
I started them in Plastic Cups. hahahaha, some I moved on to bigger Plastic Bottles :)
These are all indoors
I have some outside too btw, Most dead, or not fairing very well at all. Something like a bird or maybe a squirrel is eating the leaves. hahahahaha
They can not handle the Summer Heat (couple days over 115, summer avg 96) nor the Winter Cold(avg night in 40-50, but we get some at 30)... The hopes is that once I have a bigger one I can try outside. Am also hoping I can grow one to 3-5 feet in the house., I been using the Sink water (thus treated via softener), my water in Garden by passes Softener. Should I try that water? Won't the hard water be just as bad?

Do I seem lost? I AM!!!!

Thanks
LT

Just out of curiosity, does anyone in California have rainwater? I’ve noticed a lot of growers on this forum that have trouble with their water for some reason. I understand that you have low rainfall, but a rainwater tank full of water can go a long way?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »
I have a couple 265 gallon holding tanks and 5 gallon buckets under my shed roof to fill the tanks,
I have suspected my well water has excess salts. Whenever in doubt I use rainwater. I planted
a few jackfruit seeds this past year and they out grow their pots real fast. I had one and it was
green one day and then it started turning yellow. I put it in the ground and it hasn't done much?

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »
Reverse osmosis water is the type of water that you drink form the sink raw, it usually comes in a smaller version of the faucet on the side, and is filtered by the long, thin tube under the sink.

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

Duhhhhh..... Money

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »

Duhhhhh..... Money

...... a 3/7/10 gal nursery pot? You can probabaly get one for free. I agree with Vernmented. Get it out of a solo cup lol

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »
These are all indoors

Do I seem lost? I AM!!!!

Thanks
LT

Just out of curiosity, does anyone in California have rainwater? I’ve noticed a lot of growers on this forum that have trouble with their water for some reason. I understand that you have low rainfall, but a rainwater tank full of water can go a long way?

The problem with rain catches here is that it hasnt rained in 9 months.  And when it does rain its in the middle of winter.  If it rained every month or 2 everyone would be doing it and it would make more sense to get a big rain system.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:55:53 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
I already got a POT yesterday, Ugly as hell and used, $2 at local landscaping company. Wife is gonna have a Fir having that thing inside the house. lol

Will pot this one, this seems to be the healthiest one

These are some that are destined to Die, might transfer them to 5 gallon pots if the survive till March

Will take the advice and stop Watering them with Softener water. BTW, Rain water is not an option in the Area that I live.
Might end up using the hard water from outside(off the softener system). Have a feeling bottle water will end up too expensive an option (I have alot of plants indoors)

By the way I live in Canyon Country about 40 miles inland from Los Angeles
Hardiness Zones 10a, 9a and 9b

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
Really ? You asked for suggestions for your doomed jackfruits and the one viable response to actually help you and you respond like a kook? No one knows that your not resourceful enough to find what you need for your project . Nor should anyone that is taking time to offer you advice to help you, be responded to like that , no doy fa real though.
Your jackfruits are already dead though so you can take your $2 pot back and save your money at least, or wear it like a hat.

Duhhhhh..... Money

lixoten

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
LOL, I do not think I was being Rude, just chatting. And I am learning from those that made comments...Well most comments, yours was kind mean and useless. lol

Really ? You asked for suggestions for your doomed jackfruits and the one viable response to actually help you and you respond like a kook? No one knows that your not resourceful enough to find what you need for your project . Nor should anyone that is taking time to offer you advice to help you, be responded to like that , no doy fa real though.
Your jackfruits are already dead though so you can take your $2 pot back and save your money at least, or wear it like a hat.

Duhhhhh..... Money

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
Your water has high sodium from softened water. Use garden water. Pot is not your problem.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
You can use dripping water from the aircon...it is clean.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk