Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Can you overmulch citrus in San Diego?

(1/5) > >>

ExpertPruning.com:
I have loads of woodchips ready to go, I just don't know if I can overdo the mulching.

How much is too much mulch?

fyliu:
3 2 ft might be too much.
1 ft is okay. In hot desert areas, 18 inches is good, from what I've heard. Most people do 8 inches or less. I do 3 inches because I'm lazy.

When I go into the mountains for mushrooms, the thicker areas have over a foot of fallen leaves.

EDIT: Oh, you said citrus. I've heard in the past, people discourage mulching citrus.

Millet:
Mulching under a citrus tree is both good and bad. Clean organic material can be applied around trees for erosion control in the area of the sprinkler pattern.  Mulching 2 to 4 inches deep reduces weed growth, conserves moisture, and improves soil tilth.  Do not incorporate the mulch into the soil.  Mulch must be kept about 8 inches away from the trunk to avoid wetting the lower trunk for long periods of time.  Mulch laid against the trunk has been known to increase the infection rate of Phytophthora gummosis and other trunk diseases.  The presence of mulches on the orchard floor can interfere with heat transfer from the soil to the tree which is especially important during frost events. Recent research in a Kern County orchard during a frost episode where a thick layer of shredded orchard prunings was present on the orchard floor demonstrated that lower nighttime temperatures occurred in the mulch areas than in areas free of mulch.  Mulch free soil releases more heat to protect the tree during frost events.   All things considered if it was my citrus tree I would refrain from using mulch, and keep the soil under the tree free of all vegetation.

Bush2Beach:
"Mulch must be kept about 8 inches away from the trunk to avoid wetting the lower trunk for long periods of time."

This language makes me think you pulled this text from somewhere. It almost seems like industry propaganda related to mandatory mono cropping scorched earth farming.
I have found it to be completely untrue in my experience. Mulch away , as much as you can get , and build up that healthy soil, your tree's and water bill will thank you.

Millet:
Bush2Bush, your ideas are always welcome on this forum, as normally there is more than one right way to accomplish an objective.  I would just say what you call "industry propaganda" most people call good advice obtained through research and years of growing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version