Author Topic: How to go about removing comfortable Surinam Cherry (and other) tree(s)?  (Read 2352 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
So I just moved houses about a month and a half ago, with all of my other trees (mind a few potted cherimoya's and a green sapote) being at my other place, the only problem is that the house is going into Escrow soon and I wanted to get a couple name important trees that are VERY comfortable in there place. I obviously expect transfer shock but honestly what would be the best way to go about this? The trees I plan on removing are Surinam Cherry (3), Cherimoya (2), Lychee (2) and Mamey Sapote (1), and Macadamia (2)

I know that the first step is to get the shovels in the ground but does anyone have any tips for dealing with relocation and transfer shock, as well as the removal for each specific tree in the first place?

Jackson

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to go about removing comfortable Surinam Cherry (and other) tree(s)?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »
I'd forget about trying to move the lychee, those are real fragile. I haven't heard of anyone successfully moving one of those. If it hasn't been in the ground for too long you might be able to pull it off.

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
I haven’t seen one locally by me but a rental company may have a spade. Here is an example.

https://broadwayrental.com/product/tree-spade-vermeer-towable/

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 12:29:38 AM »
I would treat with rooting hormone or superthrive for a week.  Then trim the tree way back.  Maybe let it recover a few weeks after that.  Then pick a cool/damp day and following days to dig as much rootball mass up and transplant.  Doing it in cool and humid weather will help. 

Not sure about you guys in SB but we finally got some relief with cool and humid weather today down here. 
Brad Spaugh

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »
I haven’t seen one locally by me but a rental company may have a spade. Here is an example.

https://broadwayrental.com/product/tree-spade-vermeer-towable/

Ah geez, and the problems begin to arise, beginning with the fact all of the trees are on a steep hillside, and that there is literally no access point for any kind of tractor or vehicle. Looks like i'll just man it out with some buddies and shovels and give them all some TLC. One I am most worried about is Suriname Cherry because it is very deeply rooted in the ground and I am afraid the Lychee will have a lot of shock, however the cherimoya's seem to be pretty transplant hardy so I am not too worried about that.
Jackson

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
Water the bejesus out of them for easier digging. Digging in dry soil with roots is no fun. Good luck and keep us posted. Chris
-Chris

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:24:48 AM »
Water the bejesus out of them for easier digging. Digging in dry soil with roots is no fun. Good luck and keep us posted. Chris

Didn't even think about that. Thanks for the reminder
Jackson

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
All good advice so far as for Surinam Cherry, I've moved a few big ones just cut back foliage and cut roots with as big a root ball as you can handle. Replant and keep moist it might defoliate but should pop right back. Should be able to do same with Cherimoya and maybe macadamia but mac's can be temperamental when moved! best of luck on your new adventure ;)  You should cover with shade cloth after moving until they show sign of good regrowth!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:17:21 AM by ScottR »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »
If the lychee is only a few years old, it can be moved successfully.  It's been done at my house.
John

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
I've relocated several large (3" trunk at soil level) macadamias with no problems.  Advice given above: prune back heavily.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
The mass below (the root ball) should exceed the mass on top (leaves and branches). Depending on the initial size of the tree, you will have to prune its current structure so think about what branching you'd like at it's new location. When possible, I like to allow the new uprooted tree to acclimate in an appropriately sized container in the shade for at least 1-2 months. Then partial shade for a similair time then in ground there after. Full sun or windy conditions or both can really dehydrate a plant already in shock thus not being able to recover. Transfer to pot asap and water water water.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
Prune heavily and make them much smaller. Cut around roots deeply in a circle with a spade and leave it. Water lot. Revisit a week later going deeper and angling and loosening root ball and soil plug. Water. Return in a week for final extraction after water a few hours before. Remove with soil intact and wrap in plastic sheet and water. Replant and shade for a few months.