Author Topic: Cassava Leaf, Tempeh and Garlic Nut  (Read 3591 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Cassava Leaf, Tempeh and Garlic Nut
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Boil young cassava leaves until the colour changes and they are softened.
Drain and squeeze out water.
Chop leaves.
Grind garlic nut in a cowek (Javanese spice grinder)
Stir fry onion, ground garlic nut, tempeh, and tomato.
After this is cooked to your liking, add the chopped leaves and coconut milk and raise to a boil.
Salt mildly and serve with fresh sambal (raw chili peppers ground with raw tomatoes and salt)
Serve with rice.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: Cassava Leaf, Tempeh and Garlic Nut
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
Aside from the cassava leaves (which I could take or leave (leaf?)) that sounds delicious.

I just wish tempeh would become mainstream here rather than some odd niche product.

I was surprised this summer to see that in Indonesia tofu is really taking off there.  I don't understand why, tempeh is so much more tasty, and Indonesian tofu is not my favorite tofu (my wife has had similar kinds in Taiwan and China, silken tofus that taste like they have egg in them).

Tempeh is great with all kinds of sauces (or by itself), one nice one is coconut, ginger, galanga, turmeric, garlic, salam leaf, candle nut, coriander, cardimom, cinnamon, nutmeg.....

It's always very important to fully cook tempeh in a dish, otherwise it grows and the whole dish becomes tempeh (which might not be the desired effect).
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
Tempeh is so amazing.  We buy 10 packs per week for the 3 of us.  Recently we had some that was a bit better than what we normally get. The better one was grown in a banana leaf instead of the usual plastic bag. 

We know that we will have to make our own tempeh if we move anywhere other than this part of the world, since like you say, elsewhere it is a special food with a price based on its specialness rather than the fact that it is soya bean.  It is probably 20% the price of chicken here for an equivalent amount of absorbable protein. 

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
Hi Red Durio,

Hmm Garlic nut :'( We don't have it over here ;) What about the normal garlic as a sub?

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
Hi Red Durio,

Hmm Garlic nut :'( We don't have it over here ;) What about the normal garlic as a sub?

What do you mean we don't have garlic nut?  I'm a garlic nut! ;D

Sounds like you should beg him for seeds of that.  I know I'd love it (not sure if I'd ever get "nut" crops from it though).
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
Hi Red Durio,

What do you mean we don't have garlic nut?  I'm a garlic nut! ;D

Sounds like you should beg him for seeds of that.  I know I'd love it (not sure if I'd ever get "nut" crops from it though).

Howdy Dan,

lol ;D  Yikes...ask for garlic nut seeds :o I will need to get a Kew garden greenhouse to keep them chirpy...don't think they would adapt to the subs ;)

I also want to try a Mozambican pounded cassava dish...now i just need to plant a few rows of cassava and try this two dishes :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
Yesterday I put a garlic nut into my pot of chicken soup.  It was impossible to clean it off my grater when I shredded it for the tempeh, cassava leaf dish, so rather than grate it again, this time I just hit it softly with a 3 lb hammer to break the shell and then hit it again to get a few smaller, mashed pieces of the nut.  After boiling in the broth, the nuts give almost all their garlicy flavour to the soup and tasted a bit like raw peanuts.