Author Topic: Decomposed granite and how to amend?  (Read 1191 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Decomposed granite and how to amend?
« on: March 17, 2018, 03:14:28 AM »
The area where i live only have 1/2 to 1 foot of topsoil and the rest is decomposed granite.  I only know to add compost and wood chip.  Is there any other way to add nutrients to the soil without worrying that the soil will wash all of the fertilizer away?  Do i need to add calcium, iron, or any other minute minerals?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:35:15 AM by Mikey »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Decomposed granite and how to amend?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
Mikey if its DG you should not really need ammending.  Top dress with heavy mulch and fertilize when necessary.  Thats what I do for my plants and all seem happy.  Myproperty is DG, at least 600ft deep nothing but granite.

The only plants I have ammended for are bananas.  For those I add a lot of compost.
Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
The area where i live only have 1/2 to 1 foot of topsoil and the rest is decomposed granite. 

How fine is your granite? I would love to have granite in my soil. Look up - granite rock dust

Home Depot has granite rock dust. Sadly it is out of stock. Like forever? Anyways I signed up for an email alert. 50Lbs for $10
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cutting-Edge-50-lb-Stone-Dust-Crushed-Granite-500501/207213047

Cutting Edge
50 lb. Stone Dust - Crushed Granite
5.0 out of 5 (1)
Write a Review
Questions & Answers - 8
$9.65 /each
Overview
Cutting Edge Stone Dust is attractive in appearance and color and an excellent choice to level surfaces for hardscape projects, such as flagstones, pavers, brick, walkways, patios and retaining walls. Our Stone Dust can form a strong, non-porous surface and

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
If only you live in San Diego.   You can have all the granite dust from my yard.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:28:17 PM »
If only you live in San Diego.   You can have all the granite dust from my yard.

Yeah I could be a millionaire
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk