Author Topic: Parkia biglobosa (african locust) - flower odour?  (Read 1845 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Parkia biglobosa (african locust) - flower odour?
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
I'm finding conflicting information about the odor in the big pom-pom flowers of Parkia biglobosa.

As one would guess, they're primarily bat pollinated (although capable of bee pollination), and so - reportedly - have a strong scent, like most bat-pollinated flowers. However, most bat-pollinated flowers have a strong bad scent.

This paper:
https://watermark.silverchair.com/j.1095-8339.2001.tb01084.x.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAdEwggHNBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggG-MIIBugIBADCCAbMGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMotkgRWL250R8q8UrAgEQgIIBhJe6GyzPPjH5mfM8ejeY9HQFvC0Tupjun85RaGjab3VYHpoyPlNPFSxUpcAKidgmpjfTrfG7aPg8a4-1M3C6d4vBgF0G-tKD6ID3jUq2ebGjuk4BGYKMpEwwNTbDEZhha1MI3I4vodg8tOmW8xlK1WIKnK4MkvrK0h9h2MAvgDD52vA7oDHF7VDd8FAnya3MkM7KkyofpoVO04cyeM9zhooB9YpMm6IfhpEt0r6zceEZBeME217C5EayjtrxHYLoWPDBMajZBHvzkSENMUIPWCoW9Lqon-6o1mvSxzyoeM0wk6G_BArMhjLuYnTaDfYCiV-exltG0puZGf__cIlfsCY-k8mADX20XBE4k74hdhAQOoAYrFPfhK361o8Z3pK-6AV7SBhPKyBh_YY5NCCTTYwUFM-DIMW22HvozA6TzAZYPlgDydT7hOcnT5lXPZm9_sZOSedgND4jW45iXdHseCcOJ67d7Gz_vNP9dkvv9cAXAdna21nj8E8mpIgmRF1RQbIk5wY

... describes the scent of other Parkia species as "foetid, fruity or like cow manure", due to sulfur compounds, but finds no sulfur compounds in P. biglobosa. Their description of the "strong floral scent" of P. biglobosa (which peaks in the evenings) is "A heavy, sweet and somewhat stuffy scent".

However... this here:
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/treedb/index.php?theNode=Biology&keyattribute=Hermaphrodite

... says that the flowers "may smell foetid and fruity like cow manure"

My *suspicion*, due to the striking similarity of the wording between the two sources, is that the World Agroforestry site is just getting that from a description of the smell of Parkia species' flowers in general, rather than specific for P. biglobosa. Specifically, the first paper cited "Wee & Rao, 1980; Hopkins, 1983; Gdnmeier, 1990" for that description, so I imagine that World Agroforestry gets that description from them too.  But this is just a suspicion on my part.

Has anyone here ever smelled a P. biglobosa flower?

Also, while were on the topic of P. biglobosa, I've seen conflicting information about how big they are when they start to flower. I've seen one person say "Trees start flowering at 5 - 7 years while still comparatively small.", suggesting that they might even be able to be grown in a pot; while another source says that they're quite large when they fruit, which begins at 5-10 years; and another source says that they grow up to 1 meter in the first year and up to 7m in the first 6 years.  Is that "small size at first flowering" only if you dwarf them?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:31:56 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Parkia biglobosa (african locust) - flower odour?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »
I was smelling longevity spinach blooms today and they have a strong smell of                              nacho cheese doritos ,small yellow flowers

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
I was smelling longevity spinach blooms today and they have a strong smell of                              nacho cheese doritos ,small yellow flowers

Okay, that's quite unusual - I'll make a note of that!

Anyone have experience with Parkias, esp. P. biglobosa?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »
Have seeds from Sierra Leone...first attempts saw trees die..starting over.  Oscar, Nullzie and a few others maybe further along.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Have seeds from Sierra Leone...first attempts saw trees die..starting over.  Oscar, Nullzie and a few others maybe further along.

That's a shame  :(  What killed them?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »

That's a shame  :(  What killed them?

Can't say for sure.  Benign neglect can't be ruled out. 

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:18 PM »
I gave a tree to Adam in Florida. It was doing really well over 5ft tall I believe. It survived 30F, but got killed back to ground with 24F. Adam, told me its still alive at the roots and had a small shoot emerging from base of trunk!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:48:45 AM »

lol those frickin flowers smell like the worst case of athlete's foot ever!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com