Author Topic: Coconuts without Female Inflorescence  (Read 1039 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Coconuts without Female Inflorescence
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:07:31 PM »
Came across my fb ag. feed... so sales for "mapreow" a unique coconuts, very expensive.  Coconut in Thai "mapraow".

Upon reading more, the uniqueness of the tree comes from a genetic defect that does not product female flowers, so the fruits and inflorescence look very interesting.

However was sad to read, that when planting these nuts, it will likely just revert to regular coconut, so a waste of money I guess.

Anything know anything more about this?

Here is a video showing a farmer who has two trees:  https://youtu.be/wJxaFVSvDfE

a stolen pic off google:

This is the thai word for it:  มะแพร้ว

I can not find anything in English about this, so I'll just assume it is a genetic defect that occurs in 1/100,000 or something like that.

Also a good chance I misunderstood, and it it does not have male flowers..., but I can confirm it is missing one of the sexes of flowers!  :)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Coconuts without Female Inflorescence
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
this university link says it is a unique varieity not a gene defect.  http://www.bsru.ac.th/identity/archives/1971

the variety name is Cocos nucifera L. spicata K.C. Jacob

and the seed doesn't remain true because of cross pollination.

birngerd

• Central Florida, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »
They do produce female flowers (otherwise there would be no coconuts), but the inflorescence is spicate. We have some spicate varieties in Florida, with the most popular being "red spicata". Here's an image of one growing in Miami.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
thanks for clearing that up for me!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk