Author Topic: I've become a big cempedak fan  (Read 1860 times)

Guoyang Gao

• XiChang, SiChuan Province,China 10b
    • View Profile
I've become a big cempedak fan
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
    Yesterday I received the cempedak I bought from an online store several days before. I fell in love with its durian-candy like fragrance immediately,which is denser and sweeter than both ordinary durian and jackfruit.
    Unfortunately, this fragrant,spiny fruit turned out to be rotten and inedible when I opened it. However, I still took a bite of a segment from the bottom of the fruit. In fact, it tasted good, as a cotton candy with much more sweetness than tartness. Whatever, it would be my top 5 favorite fruit.
    Now I can't wait to arrange a journey to East Malaysia to look for the true taste of cempedak and other rare jackfruit-related fruits in Borneo jungle.   

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:48:43 PM by Guoyang Gao »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: I've become a big cempedak fan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:04:55 AM »
You can try to grow the seeds...

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:17:57 AM »
You can try to grow the seeds...
It likely needs very tropical conditions for survival.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:30:53 AM »
not a fan currently... but your Cempedek may be a cross, wonder how it is ripe with green skin..  in Malaysia many different varieties, some are cross bred with Jackfruit

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:15:52 AM »
I have a cemp here in the ground in its second year outside. It may never fruit but it has survived in about the equivalent of 10a or b
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:21:18 AM by Ulfr »

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
I have a cemp here in the ground in its second year outside. It may never fruit but it has survived in about the equivalent of 10a or b
Thank you for your information. In my opinion, it could also be planted as an amazing ornamental.

Guoyang Gao

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
not a fan currently... but your Cempedek may be a cross, wonder how it is ripe with green skin..  in Malaysia many different varieties, some are cross bred with Jackfruit
I don't know much about cempedak varieties, but some varieties with red or white flesh do look so attractive. I wanna try them all. ToT

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
Cempedek in my area look like in the photo, have a whole town nearby dedicated to growing this variety we call "Janpa" or "Jampada" depending on dialect.

It is not eaten fresh, The whole fruit with seed in is deep fried with flour and egg batter.  It is delicious!  Although they say high in cholesterol.. from seed or oil?  don't know  :)

Maybe I will drive to that town soon and buy a few of different ripeness and see if I can learn to like fresh Cempedek. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk