Author Topic: Second mango bloom survival  (Read 1668 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Second mango bloom survival
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »
Unless a second bloom took place very close to the first the second bloom and fruit set always failed 100% here.

This year my Ice Cream has held onto a half dozen second bloom  fruits and so far look like they may stick.

My questions are... Is it typical for second blooms to fail or succeed?

Is there a cultivar (not multi grafted)  that is known to have regular early and later blooms and an extended season?
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Second mango bloom survival
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »
I’ve noticed in my yard that wether second blooms set fruit depends a lot on weather conditions which also affect the amount of Powdery Mildew or Anthracnose on the panicles. If rains hit your second bloom, you may not get as much fruit set on the second blooms but if weather conditions are ideal, say for example that the temperature and humidity are unfavorable for Powdery Mildew, the second bloom May set more fruit for a variety that is susceptible to Powdery Mildew.

I’ve noticed on my Maha Chanok that I often get secondary blooms and fruit set for an extended season.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
That ridiculously late bloom (late April) failed miserably for me. It looked as if most of that late bloom burned up. Not sure if it was some sort of fungus or if tender blooms just weren't digging the hot weather / high UV sun that followed. At any rate, late April bloom is extremely uncommon.
Jeff  :-)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
Still some fairchild, coconut cream and PPK second late bloom fruit still holding and growing. If they hold will be nice to have mangoes later in season

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »
My late bloom held a few fruits on 2 tree, lost most. 100 percent on a few trees.
Untimely rain was what I thought the culprit was.

The last few days in Florida has been very wet.  Coupled with some strong winds a couple of days ago I have large fruits on the ground.  Hundreds of them.  Actually lost a huge branch laden with fruit.
Fortunately had monster fruit set earlier so I still have many mangoes and the season is not ruined.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
Even after all that rain my little potted ice cream has clung onto two marble sized fruits :-) I am hoping they stick.
Regards,

Gary

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »
The April bloom did nothing in my yard. The only tree holding on to a couple of small mangoes from the bloom is Sunrise.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
My Pickering which was severely damaged a year and a half ago is holding a fair amount pea mango from the second bloom. All the regular timeline blooms/mongolets fell, yea for the late bloom.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk