Author Topic: Vigorous and productive seedling citrus rootstocks?  (Read 1928 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Vigorous and productive seedling citrus rootstocks?
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »
Anyone know what seeds to start from to grow vigorous and productive citrus seedlings to graft onto?  I don't want a dwarf and slow growing tree for oranges, lemons, grapefruits, and other citrus but rather want fast growing and productive trees at the risk of them getting too large.  Any thoughts on what seeds I should plant (and maybe it varies depending on what I want to graft, so I'd be interested in ones for oranges, lemons, and grapefruit)?  This is for SoCal.

barath

• View Profile
Re: Vigorous and productive seedling citrus rootstocks?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
I guess I should add -- if anyone knows of which cultivars / species seem to be showing some HLB resistance as rootstock, that would be great as well...

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »
HLB resistant rootstocks are in the very early stages of research so unless you are willing to wait for years of research to come to fruition you will have to look at standard rootstocks. I am in SoCal and I am using C-35 for my grafts as it is fast growing, early bearing, good size at maturity ie. big but not huge, and widely compatible according to the studies I have read. Most nurseries are moving to C-35 with Carrizo being the other option if you want a large tree at maturity. C-35 bears fruit earlier so you are more likely to get some crops before HLB sets in.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:35:05 AM »
Interesting, thanks.  I had read that C-35 produces a smaller tree -- do you find it does that by slowing growth or just maxes out at a smaller size?

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
I have only just started using C-35 and most of my comments are based on reading studies. So far C-35 does appear more vigorous than trifoliate. I believe it tends to stay smaller than others due to earlier larger fruit sets, thus always behind in tree size, not because it is slow growing. If you are concerned about tree size, Carrizo is a good option as it is 10-20% larger than C-35. You must also consider that some of the vigorous fast growing rootstocks can produce poor quality fruit. Eureka Lemon and Fukumoto Navel do appear incompatible with C-35 and Carrizo.

This is a good overview of rootstocks:
http://www.crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/citrus_rootstock/Rootstock_Literature/Univ.%20CA%20CitrusProdManual%20Rootstock%20Chapter%202014.pdf

If this is for general backyard use I would seriously think about the size the trees will eventually become. Large trees use a lot of water and fertilizer and will produce a ton of fruit that could go to waste. Most trees on anything but Flying Dragon will still reach large size for backyard use. If the trees grow large and start crowding each other you will have to prune which will cut yields because citrus flowers on new growth. The reason I suggested C-35 is that it produces one of the highest yields per area for citrus rootstocks. ie. the yield is the same as Carrizo but on a smaller tree.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Interesting, thanks!

The reason I'm not worried about trees getting too big is that I figure anything citrus I plant today will be killed by HLB before it gets too big to manage, so it's all about what might be produced in the short term.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
C-35 Tree size is somewhat reduced with nearly all scions.Typically, young trees grow well, so that size differences do not become apparent until trees have born several crops. Over 11 growth trials, C-35 tree size averaged about 83% as large as the trees on Carrizo. The average yield over all field trials was 106% of that of trees on Carrizo.  Soil adaptation: Well adapted to loam, sandy loam, and sandy soil, Performs poorly on very heavy soils with poor drainage.

Carrizo. Trees growing on Carrizo rootstock the tree size is standard with nearly all scions grafted upon it.  Trees continue to grow for many years and may eventually become quite large if not controlled by pruning or crowding. Yield: Trees on Carrizo typically have good to excellent yields.   

Volkameriana.  Trees on Volkameriana are VERY vigorous , and trees can be large Yield: trees grafted on Volk typically have average yield for their size.  Fruit quality: Fair with all common scions. In comparison with fruit from trees on Carrizo, fruit from trees on Volk have 1 to 2% lower soluble solids (sugars), lower acid and a lower juice percentage.  Well adapted to sandy and sandy loam soil/  Performs poorly on heavy soils.