Author Topic: Want to do Jackfruit right this time...  (Read 1690 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Want to do Jackfruit right this time...
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
This is my fourth shot at jackfruit.  I bought a really sweet, creamy jackfruit from the local Asian market and planted the seeds.  They are just starting to sprout, and I am trying to nip a problem in the bud before it happens AGAIN.

Every time I try to grow jackfruit (always from seed from store-bought fruit), they do great for a while, then when they are about 2 ft tall they start looking deficient in something (looks like potassium or magnesium?), drop all their leaves and die.
I am just stumped.  I have zone 10 and zone 12 greenhouses.  I use a good quality, fast-draining potting mix, feed regularly but not heavily, and I can give them any size pot they want, up to about 30 gallons. I don't know why they aren't happy! I have a lot of other tropicals (cacao, all sorts of annonas and guavas) that I have had no problem with, but I really struggle with jackfruit (and mango and lychee).
I read something in a post a few years ago about pruning the taproot. Thoughts on that?
Any advice on amount of water/nutrients/light for young jackfruit?

Thanks!

Carolyn

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Want to do Jackfruit right this time...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »
Jakfruit Love water, i find they prefer to be more on sitting water side then the dry side

Elitebettas

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »
In my experience, believe it or not, they do not like chemical fertilizer. They burn very easily.  Mine is 2 years from seed growing in a very large pot. It’s flowered already and too tall/huge to move with only one person. Good luck. They make beautiful trees.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:33:39 PM by Elitebettas »

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »
I would say fertilising isyour problem. I’ve only ever watered jackfruit seedlings and they all grow big and strong !

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
I would say fertilising isyour problem. I’ve only ever watered jackfruit seedlings and they all grow big and strong !

I second this. In burned (but didn’t kill) 2 of my jackfruit seedlings with fertilizer. Use time release if you must...it tends to work really well with Jacks

Elitebettas

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
Yep. I use worm castings, Dr. Earth, and the fallen leaves as mulch to amend my soul.

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
Thanks!
Keep them moist, and no fertilizer - got it!
I have a couple of other trees that can't tolerate any fertilizer, so I will put the baby jacks on my list of trees to not fertilize.
Elitebettas, how big are your pots?

Carolyn

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
You can (and should) fertilize jackfruits and all other tropicals I'm aware of with osmocote (controlled release) without issue.

For a time, I was growing trees for sale, somewhere into the thousands at one point. I simply gave them a sprinkle of osmocote about twice a year, and they grew very well. This is what most smaller growers do down here. The larger growers use a fertigation system.

Pick up a bag of osmocote plus and fertilize away: https://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Outdoor-Smart-Release-8-Pound-Fertilizer/dp/B00GTDGMHC/
Jeff  :-)

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 12:23:02 AM »
I do have some Osmocote Plus. I will give them a bit when I pot them up.

Thanks!
Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk