Author Topic: Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.  (Read 6365 times)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
I'm growing a yellow Dragon Fruit call "Yellow Dragon", which I think is the common one where the fruit has thorn. I come across this and wondering if anyone know the variety of the dragon fruit. You can see it from 1:59 of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUjh2Vo_wc&feature=youtu.be

The  guy bought it from Craiglist in CA, but doesn't know the name of the variety.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
Hawaiian Golden. Basically they are yellow H. Undatus they taste the same as the standard white flesh some people find it bland and others like it. FamilyJ and Spaugh have cuttings of that type and it’s variations which are almost all the same. There is also the Israel Yellow but I find that one to have more accents of green on its fin so I don’t think it’s that plus it’s restricted but some people have it.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Thanks! A quick google search and there are a few places that sell its seeds, which is more than what I like to deal with as cutting is easier. I guess I will wait and see if my current "Yellow Dragon" will do well and how it taste, and if I don't like it, then I will be on the hunt to try the Hawaiian Golden.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
Thanks! A quick google search and there are a few places that sell its seeds, which is more than what I like to deal with as cutting is easier. I guess I will wait and see if my current "Yellow Dragon" will do well and how it taste, and if I don't like it, then I will be on the hunt to try the Hawaiian Golden.

In the mean time... you should find a cutting of the yellow Hylocereus megalanthus variety (the one WITH thorns on the fruit) to grow for comparison.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
Hmm..... I thought the "yellow Hylocereus megalanthus" is the "Yellow Dragon" that's being sold around the area in Florida? If it's not it, what is "Yellow Dragon" then?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
The one in the video is the undantus like was already mentioned.  There are also yellow skinned megalanthus types.  "Yellow dragon" is a useless name to go off of.  It could be either type.

A photo of the cutting would help clarify what you have.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:36:53 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »

And there is one currently from Australia hybrid called ISIS GOLD which is a hott item since it has been reported to have a taste like lemonade

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »
Just checked their Facebook page it seems they ship cuttings worldwide since they send to Paraguay and Thailand. Beautiful fruit.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
Just checked their Facebook page it seems they ship cuttings worldwide since they send to Paraguay and Thailand. Beautiful fruit.
Yes they ship world wide and that is one many are after at the moment

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
Yes they ship world wide and that is one many are after at the moment

I wouldn't mind some of these.  Group order?  ;D

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »
The one in the video is the undantus like was already mentioned.  There are also yellow skinned megalanthus types.  "Yellow dragon" is a useless name to go off of.  It could be either type.

Thanks Brad, I will take a picture of the Yellow Dragon and upload later.  Pine Island nursery call it Yellow Dragon, and the vein is skinny, look like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/622078080/yellow-dragon-1-plants-2-feet-tall-ship?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ts1-b-accessories-other&utm_custom1=f1b91e49-ac0e-4b8f-9461-6f0aef598989&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7JGbv5zH3QIVQlYNCh2noAkJEAQYASABEgKa5_D_BwE

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »

And there is one currently from Australia hybrid called ISIS GOLD which is a hott item since it has been reported to have a taste like lemonade

Why are they naming a Dragon fruit over terrorist name? Now we got government watching this discussion...... :o

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
Why are they naming a Dragon fruit over terrorist name? Now we got government watching this discussion...... :o

And that's probably a picture of the infernal leader right there!  I bet he ends up on every facial recognition hot list....

::)
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »

Thanks Brad, I will take a picture of the Yellow Dragon and upload later.  Pine Island nursery call it Yellow Dragon, and the vein is skinny, look like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/622078080/yellow-dragon-1-plants-2-feet-tall-ship?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ts1-b-accessories-other&utm_custom1=f1b91e49-ac0e-4b8f-9461-6f0aef598989&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7JGbv5zH3QIVQlYNCh2noAkJEAQYASABEgKa5_D_BwE

Thats a standard megalanthus
Brad Spaugh

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »

Got it, so I assume this standard megalanthus (yellow Hylocereus megalanthus) or "Yellow Dragon" should taste better than the Hawaiian Gold? I'm not into Lemonade so I think I'm not going to look for that ISIS Gold.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »

Got it, so I assume this standard megalanthus (yellow Hylocereus megalanthus) or "Yellow Dragon" should taste better than the Hawaiian Gold? I'm not into Lemonade so I think I'm not going to look for that ISIS Gold.

The megalanthus is very sweet.  They dont have much in the flavor department compared to a red or purple fruit though. 
Brad Spaugh

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »

The megalanthus is very sweet.  They dont have much in the flavor department compared to a red or purple fruit though.

Thanks for confirming that. The sweet characteristic is what I'm going after. I already have Purple Haze and Natural Mystic to cover the complex flavor part. I just need a sweet one to enjoy on a hot day (like water melon). As strange as it sounds, I had store bought yellow Hylocereus megalanthus, and I welcome the laxative effect after consume it as it cleans my stomach like detox  ;D

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

Not sure but they are in Australia, maybe ask why they chose that name and let us know

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »

And that's probably a picture of the infernal leader right there!  I bet he ends up on every facial recognition hot list....

::)
HAHA that is a girl in the picture but in reality that is one many are after

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »

The standard Megalanthus is known as Selenicereus Megalanthus just FYI

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »

Thanks for confirming that. The sweet characteristic is what I'm going after. I already have Purple Haze and Natural Mystic to cover the complex flavor part. I just need a sweet one to enjoy on a hot day (like water melon). As strange as it sounds, I had store bought yellow Hylocereus megalanthus, and I welcome the laxative effect after consume it as it cleans my stomach like detox  ;D
Ok So the Sweet Tooth guy ::)

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »
Here is the vine of the "Yellow Dragon" I have. So what I have is Selenicereus Megalanthus/yellow Hylocereus megalanthus?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Here is the vine of the "Yellow Dragon" I have. So what I have is Selenicereus Megalanthus/yellow Hylocereus megalanthus?

::) :o ::)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »

Looks like Megalanthus to me.  Does not look like yellow Undatus.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »

Looks like Megalanthus to me.  Does not look like yellow Undatus.

Thanks! Undatus is not as sweet as Megalanthus. So what I'm growing is what I'm wanted after all. Hopefully I will get some fruit next year to confirm. The yellow one is very slow growing!!!! (compare to my Purple Haze and Natural Mystic).