Author Topic: Question on maturity for the mango pundits  (Read 11495 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Question on maturity for the mango pundits
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
JF - you reference Thompson as the "California Lemon Zest" cause it has a light lemony aftertaste"....problem with that comparison is that THE Lemon Zest does NOT have any lemon taste at all.  It has an orange-orange/cream flavor.

I would also not base what is late in Cali or Hawaii to being late in SFla.  I have also not seen Thompson in this area...there must be a reason for this.

Bully - you are being redundant.I've read all the tidbits about LZ vs OS in this board and the old GW....don't worry, nobody trying to take your mango supremacy. Our friend Carlos is looking for a late mango and Thompson pass the minimum late mango threshold.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
JF - you reference Thompson as the "California Lemon Zest" cause it has a light lemony aftertaste"....problem with that comparison is that THE Lemon Zest does NOT have any lemon taste at all.  It has an orange-orange/cream flavor.

I would also not base what is late in Cali or Hawaii to being late in SFla.  I have also not seen Thompson in this area...there must be a reason for this.

Bully - you are being redundant.I've read all the tidbits about LZ vs OS in this board and the old GW....don't worry, nobody trying to take your mango supremacy. Our friend Carlos is looking for a late mango and Thompson pass the minimum late mango threshold.
Not sure what you mean but what I was doing was clarifying a statement you made that is NOT accurate.  Coin it what you want but by your description it in no way would have any similarities to the LZ (again, LZ does not have any lemon flavor).

I will also reiterate, and anybody from SFla please feel free to chime in, but I have not seen a Thompson growing around here.  In addition, an equal comparison can not be made with respect to a mangoes growth in Cali vs SFla.  Climate is different and growth habits are different...hell, looks of the mangoes (the fruit) are different and I bet the taste is at least slightly different (though I can not confirm this).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
JF - please let me clarify as I am not trying to put the Thompson down or your tastes, especially when and how it is grown in Cali.  What I am trying to say is that not every mango that grows in Cali is guaranteed to grow and produce the same in SFla.  It might be worse, might not fruit at all or might even be better.  BUT, being that is not widely grown or available here would leave me believe in the latter.

Look, you fruit cherimoya and we don't, plain and simple.  We seem to have better success with jackfruit.  This is not uncommon that different locales have better success with different fruit, whether it be different species or different varieties of the same species.  It is what it is and no reason to get defensive about it as my statement was in no way personal.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Not sure what you mean but what I was doing was clarifying a statement you made that is NOT accurate.  Coin it what you want but by your description it in no way would have any  to the LZ (again, LZ does not have any lemon flavor).

I will also reiterate, and anybody from SFla please feel free to chime in, but I have not seen a Thompson growing around here.  In addition, an equal comparison can not be made with respect to a mangoes growth in Cali vs SFla.  Climate is different and growth habits are different...hell, looks of the mangoes (the fruit) are different and I bet the taste is at least slightly different (though I can not confirm this).

Ok Rob, so you where slightly annoyed by the inaccuracy of the description of the LZ? I don't understand, I was describing the Thompson. I don't have the slightest idea why you haven't heard of anyone in Florida growing a Thompson. I can tell you this, it's a big oversight because Thompson is one of the best tasting late mango I've had.....and climate does matter, the variation between day and night temps improve fruit quality.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »

Not sure what you mean but what I was doing was clarifying a statement you made that is NOT accurate.  Coin it what you want but by your description it in no way would have any  to the LZ (again, LZ does not have any lemon flavor).

Ok Rob, so you where slightly annoyed by the inaccuracy of the description of the LZ? I don't understand, I was describing the Thompson. I don't have the slightest idea why you haven't heard of anyone in Florida growing a Thompson. I can tell you this, it's a big oversight because Thompson is one of the best tasting late mango I've had.....and climate does matter, the variation between day and night temps improve fruit quality.
No, I wasn't annoyed but I feel it was a poor usage of words ("California Lemon Zest"), especially when one post specifically mentioned Lemon Zest, a named variety with no relationship to Thompson.  With all of the growers and the over 100 varieties around here, I have to doubt its an oversight.  That would be basically calling these people dumb or uneducated.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »

No, I wasn't annoyed but I feel it was a poor usage of words ("California Lemon Zest"), especially when one post specifically mentioned Lemon Zest, a named variety with no relationship to Thompson.  With all of the growers and the over 100 varieties around here, I have to doubt its an oversight.  That would be basically calling these people dumb or uneducated.

Rob

Thanks for the clarification. I think there was a misunderstanding. I don't want to muddy the mango waters again so I'll drop the California LZ :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »

No, Rob. I would never disrespect any of the growers or breeders in the great state of Florida but I would certainly hope you reciprocate the same feeling towards Paul Thompson the founder of CRFG.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »

No, Rob. I would never disrespect any of the growers or breeders in the great state of Florida but I would certainly hope you reciprocate the same feeling towards Paul Thompson the founder of CRFG.
I do and that is why I made the distinction of that it may not necessarily be the same or right in Florida.  As you know there are a number of varieties that are grown in Cali but not in Florida...and there has to be a distinct reason for it.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
Put down the keyboards and slowly back away from your computers ;D

Allow me to chime in here...

It's actually Thomson without the P...  Does that help resolve which mango tastes better?
Tim

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »
I'm clearing a place in my avocado grove to add a few mango trees. I would like recommendation to extend the season. I have Keitt which extends to August-October, and is a good mango. I would like some feed back of mangoes similar to Keitt or even later  in the season that are good for the Dade County soil. From June to August I have plenty.  I value the opinion of people in this forum and do appreciate the assistance.
Thank you

Extending the mango season is at least as important as buying & planting the best kind, best tasting, which can be debated endlessly. If you have tasted various mangoes and read what the favorites are here >>>> What good is it if 95% of your mangoes are ripe during the big mango months? Mid June into July seems to be the mango rush hour in Broward in SE Florida.  So the question becomes >>>> What mangoes do you have outside the rush hour?

I wish I had some earlier mangoes. Right now my Glenns are my reliable early mango coming in first week of June.  I will be paying attention in 2013, seeing what the reports are here for early mangoes.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
Put down the keyboards and slowly back away from your computers ;D

Allow me to chime in here...

It's actually Thomson without the P...  Does that help resolve which mango tastes better?

a grammar freak  :D Seriously, I don't know why people get so antsy about mangos....I would have no objection if someone equated a California mango to theirs, in fact I would take it as a compliment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk