Author Topic: "Physical Graffiti" Dragon Fruit  (Read 7829 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
"Physical Graffiti" Dragon Fruit
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
Hello Friends,

Today I harvested my 1st Dragon Fruit of the year.  It was a "Physical Graffiti" dragon fruit.  It was really big, weighing in at just a shade over 2lbs., and it isn't even the biggest one I have growing.  I still have 6 more growing that I will probably harvest in the next week or so, plus a couple of "Arizona Purple" dragon fruit.  I also have a couple of "Vietnamese Red" Dragon Fruits that are absolutely huge.  They are still on the plant, but I would venture to say that they are at least 2.5 - 3 lbs. They are easily as big as a Grapefruit, if not bigger.

This "Physical Graffiti" dragon fruit had a great taste.  It wasn't super sweet, but it was still very sweet.  It was very refreshing with a distinct Grape/Watermelon flavor.  It was Absolutely terrific.  It was so big, I shared it with 2 other people and it was plenty. It also had an awesome color.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: "Physical Graffiti" Dragon Fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
Wow Jacob that is incredible, the size and color look amazing.  Good luck w/the rest.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:10:21 AM »
Wow it looks great and I bet it came from Matts Landscapes or PIN originally.Jacob13 a good friend has a big collection of small ones including physical graffiti,halleys comet,delight,condor,cosmic charlie and a few other americans....unofficially of course.My ones are desert king,columbian SF red,viet sweet/sour,H.occamponis,yellows,various reds and whites and I can't wait for them to start.2lbs is a whopper and that purple is the same as H.ocamponis.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »
Jacob,

Great harvest, looks really good. Keep me updated how the cherimoya is. I just ate the first ripe cherimoya of the season :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
Thanks Everyone,

I have to say, this was a terrific Dragon Fruit.

Ethan - Yeah, I was really surprised at how large this one and the others are.  The color is absolutely incredible.  It literally glows it is so vibrant.

Mike T. - Actually, my "Physical Graffiti" Dragon Fruit plant came from Stokes Tropicals. 

Nulls - I haven't tasted the Cherimoyas yet.  These were the first ones I pulled off the tree.  Actually, I am going to be coming up on Atemoyas, more so than Cherimoyas this year. 

My INFAMOUS "Genova Red" Illama, which is really an Atemoya, has a great crop this year.  I would say that there are 20 - 25 fruit on the tree at various stages of development.  I am really looking forward to trying these out this year.  It will be the first time I will have tasted an Atemoya.

Thanks,

Jacob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »
Thanks Everyone,

I have to say, this was a terrific Dragon Fruit.

Ethan - Yeah, I was really surprised at how large this one and the others are.  The color is absolutely incredible.  It literally glows it is so vibrant.

Mike T. - Actually, my "Physical Graffiti" Dragon Fruit plant came from Stokes Tropicals. 

Nulls - I haven't tasted the Cherimoyas yet.  These were the first ones I pulled off the tree.  Actually, I am going to be coming up on Atemoyas, more so than Cherimoyas this year. 

My INFAMOUS "Genova Red" Illama, which is really an Atemoya, has a great crop this year.  I would say that there are 20 - 25 fruit on the tree at various stages of development.  I am really looking forward to trying these out this year.  It will be the first time I will have tasted an Atemoya.

Thanks,

Jacob

Keep up the great work Jacob, what size container is the 'Genova Red' in? A great yield of fruits having between 20-25 from a container!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »
Jacob

those dragon fruits look great as well as the cherimoyas. What variety is the cherimoya?

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »
Thanks Joe!

Those 2 Cherimoyas are White's Cherimoyas.

- Jacob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
Thanks Joe!

Those 2 Cherimoyas are White's Cherimoyas.

- Jacob

Hi Jacob

I had some cherimoyas split last week because of the rain. Have you had any problems?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Wow what an attractive colored fruit.  that Pitaya is amazing looking.  :o
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Hey Jacob,
I'd appreciate it you could let me know when you will send me those cuttings. I sent you an email two days ago buy haven't heard back from you. Just thought you might see it here. I know you are busy, but I might be out of town again soon; therefore it will be great if I could receive the cuttings soon. Thank you very much!

Mike