Author Topic: Favourite fall-to-the-ground fruits?  (Read 18694 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Favourite fall-to-the-ground fruits?
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »
I plan to plant craboo (Byrsonima crassifolia) near my house because I can cut off all the limbs up to 7 feet and that will have no negative effect on my harvest.  In fact, all the head room will allow me to easily rake the ground clean under the tree just before the fruits start dropping. 
What other good fruits are always taken from the ground?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Favourite fall-to-the-ground fruits?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
Passionfruit

and

Pecans

I wish I could think of more.

the names will come to me, as soon as someone else posts them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
Wi apple (ambarella),macadamias, pili nuts.
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
I plan to plant craboo (Byrsonima crassifolia)

Ok... I know this has been discussed before, and is probably just a matter of personal taste.
Can someone explain to me if nance is tasty or disgusting?
I've never had fresh fruits... the only thing I've been able to try are the pickled ones which probably aren't a fair thing to judge.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »

Ok... I know this has been discussed before, and is probably just a matter of personal taste.
I've never had fresh fruits... the only thing I've been able to try are the pickled ones which probably aren't a fair thing to judge.

I don't even pick up the fruit , just use the tree to let the vanilla plants and passion fruit climb on . The majority of Mexicans do like the nancy , they are sold on the street . 2 colors yellow the most common and red ( smaller fruit )
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Nance has an unusual taste not pleasant to all. Also i think it's a fruit that's much better processed than out of hand. For example,of all the rare fruit ice creams i tried in Brazil the nance ice cream was by far the best.
Oscar

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »
I have to wait and let my Feijoa fruit fall from the tree, otherwise they have hardly any flavor.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
I'm pretty open minded,

but I found the nance (sold in a jar) were foul tasting.

I've heard about a bus full of fruit enthusiasts on a group vacation, that tasted some fresh nance, the all agreed they were foul.

it must be an acquired taste..I wonder how different  byrsonima verbascifolia tastes than crassifolia?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
For me it's Passions  :) Though, with the wind, avocadoes and cherimoyas fall by the bucket load. :o From the three i choose, Cherimoya 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
Most native fruit here are supposed to fall to the ground before you eat them. Thats the rule of thumb. Some are best if buried for a few days before eating.
My favourite hole-in-the-gorund crop is Bonyi (bunya). Better if buried or soaked for a bit.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
Most native fruit here are supposed to fall to the ground before you eat them. Thats the rule of thumb. Some are best if buried for a few days before eating.
My favourite hole-in-the-gorund crop is Bonyi (bunya). Better if buried or soaked for a bit.

I can't wait to grow bunya, now.  Something about burying a fruit before eating appeals to my year of the dog sensibilities.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »
For me it's Passions  :) Though, with the wind, avocadoes and cherimoyas fall by the bucket load. :o From the three i choose, Cherimoya 8)
I thought annonas always fell with a splat.  Too hot everywhere I have lived to grow cherimoya.  Can atemoya be harvested from the ground?

2 more staple-food ground harvested fruits:   coconut and  breadnut.   Coconut and breadnut to the tropical subsistence farmer are sort of like mom and dad to the American teenager - essential but undervalued.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Annonas that hit the ground here are pretty much done for except for Ilama.  Another fruit that does survive the fall to the ground here is mamee apple (mammea americana).
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
Cherimoyas knocked off the tree by wind are mature, not ripe.  Mature fruits from lower branches do OK, but in the upper canopy will crack upon impact.  Fruits normally detach from its cores before they soften up so not much a mess to worry.
Tim

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
Jujube is one strong candidate. I remember as kid we used to just kick or shake a side road jujube tree in order to get the best and ripe ones that were out of reach.
Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
garcinia xanthochymous eaten from the ground at fruit and spice are wonderful.

so are some of the eugenias!  but it's best to have a hand underneath the fruit as they decide to fall...their high water content and thin skin, makes them prone to trauma from the inevitable impact of hitting the ground.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Annonas that hit the ground here are pretty much done for except for Ilama.  Another fruit that does survive the fall to the ground here is mamee apple (mammea americana).

I guess I have one lucky spot then.... we may be too cold to grow any of the tropical annonas here- but the worlds only temperate one easily survives treefall.  In fact, the time honored way to get good "pawpaws" (Asimina triloba) is to walk up to the tree and shake it.  Fruits that are not dislodged by a shaking are too immature to ever be eaten.  Ones that hit the ground may get a bruise, but in all likelyhood they will be good eating.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Passion fruit,macadamia,feijoa

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »
Jamaican strawberries are good from the ground, but the skin is a bit leathery. Better if picked from the tree but okay from the ground.

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
durian hehe... but alot of tropical fruits fall when ripe.. cempedak and jackfruit are another.. white sapote.. bananas !!!! they are absolutely perfect when they fall off the hand naturally

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
durian hehe... but alot of tropical fruits fall when ripe.. cempedak and jackfruit are another.. white sapote.. bananas !!!! they are absolutely perfect when they fall off the hand naturally

That is weird, how did I forget durian??  I guess I was thinking of what I wanted close to my house. 

This is me in my house with 3 durio species after one morning at the farmers market   The price had fallen below 1 USD per kg.  (40 cents per pound), so I started freezing them.   Red durian is picked from the tree, but the other 2 fall.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 11:05:41 PM »

That is weird, how did I forget durian??  I guess I was thinking of what I wanted close to my house. 

This is me in my house with 3 durio species after one morning at the farmers market   The price had fallen below 1 USD per kg.  (40 cents per pound), so I started freezing them.   Red durian is picked from the tree, but the other 2 fall.

How did any of us forget? The ones that fall to the ground are SOOOOO much better than ones picked early.

As for lying in piles of three species (I've only had one) getting them cheap, and having so much fresh that you freeze it.... I only have curse words of jealousy... you lucky @#$@#$#@@$^^

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »

I absolutely hate fresh nance, but my wife loves them. I can only eat them candied and drizzled over a snow cone. Like that they are really good, especially if mixed with dulce de leche!

Jaime

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »

Hi friends,

How about kuini. Fragrant fruit and tasty. The fragrance will lead us towards the fruit under the tree that the fruit falls. We always searching   for kuinis in the early morning after the ripe fruit fall at night.
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »

Hi friends,

How about kuini. Fragrant fruit and tasty. The fragrance will lead us towards the fruit under the tree that the fruit falls. We always searching   for kuinis in the early morning after the ripe fruit fall at night.

Just now educated myself about this fruit. Sounds very intriguing. Can I get them in KL January-February?