Author Topic: Wanted: thornless salak seeds.  (Read 1812 times)

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Wanted: thornless salak seeds.
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
Hey everyone, I na previous post when I was asking about certain types of salak that were hardy and spineless, does anyone know where I could find some seeds of Sallaca wallachiana and Thornless Sallaca spp.? Thnx- PM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:35:36 PM by murahilin »
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

jesseblenn

• Costa Rica Exotic
    • Las Tumbas de Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for thornless salak seeds.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:34:57 PM »
I got (thorny) wallachiana from e-species in Belize.   They are growing fine but not as fast growing as the normal edulis....  which fruited in three years.  These look like they will take six.   No thornless here in Costa Rica that I know of.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »
There are rare thornless huge S.wallichiana with fruit of only modest quality in Thailand.There are also the smaller selectively bred varieties with reduced thorns and very good fruit.S.edulis is not an actual species and it is likely to be S.zalacca of which there are numerous varieties.You need a contact in Thailand who can get the right selections.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
I got (thorny) wallachiana from e-species in Belize.   They are growing fine but not as fast growing as the normal edulis....  which fruited in three years.  These look like they will take six.   No thornless here in Costa Rica that I know of.
Several months ago I tried to find out in a Yahoo Belize Organic Farming group if Salacca was present in Belize yet.  I was not able to get any confirmation that it did... so thanks for this, Jesse!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk