Author Topic: sunshine seeds  (Read 8322 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
sunshine seeds
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
Has anyone had any positive results from seeds from Sunshine seeds in Germany?  ( http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/index.php?language=en )  I didn't see much positive about them in the "on line seed sources" discussion but wanted to see if there is any other or newer information.  I made a sizable order about a year ago for a number of different fruit trees / shrubs & got zero germination.  They list some really interesting things from time to time that I have not seen offered anywhere else. 

John

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Re: sunshine seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
Yea, i don't think that is a good source. Just because they have fast shipping and many variety of seeds doesn't mean that the seeds are going to be 100% viable, partly because in germany it gets very cold and the seeds can die.- PM
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
When ordering tropical fruit seeds it's very important that you are getting them direct from source as most are very short lived.
Oscar

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Oscar, I had come to that same conclusion after flushing money down the toilet by using seed brokers (like Sunshine Seeds & others).  Unfortunately, sources for many of these rare seeds are very hard to come by.  It is good to see growers like you always having some new additions. 

John

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »
Another one to stay away from: http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Tropical-Fruit/Categories
I think their business model is the same: Source seeds from all over the place, store them in dry place without any medium, and then ship worthless non sproutable junk to you.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Hi DL,

I actually had so-so luck with Tradewinds.  I tried them after a fruit grower in Puerto Rico told me that they weren't too bad.  A few items had zero germination but I did get about 50% germination with genip and 2 out of 8 with Dialium schlecterii.  So, if you are lucky & get fresh seeds from them, you may get a few to germinate but again, not a real good source.

John

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:42:09 AM »
Yea, i don't think that is a good source. Just because they have fast shipping and many variety of seeds doesn't mean that the seeds are going to be 100% viable, partly because in germany it gets very cold and the seeds can die.- PM
I agree with you. Same experience!
Mike

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »
Another one to stay away from: http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Tropical-Fruit/Categories
I think their business model is the same: Source seeds from all over the place, store them in dry place without any medium, and then ship worthless non sproutable junk to you.
I got many seeds from them. The germination rate was very low. I agree with you
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:15:42 AM »
Michael Jackson says blame it on the boogie not the sunshine.Really, seeds that circle the globe and do more miles over months than arctic terns will always have problems.Buying tropical seeds from Germany will have quality control challenges even if seeds are sent from a tropical location without going back to Germany.How many people would buy cherry seeds from Chad?

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
Mike, the idea of buying tropical fruit seeds from Germany is certainly stupid.  If one could locate their sources in Africa, Borneo, even in Aus, there would certainly be no reason to be tempted by their seedlist. 

John

Michael Jackson says blame it on the boogie not the sunshine.Really, seeds that circle the globe and do more miles over months than arctic terns will always have problems.Buying tropical seeds from Germany will have quality control challenges even if seeds are sent from a tropical location without going back to Germany.How many people would buy cherry seeds from Chad?

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I tried them also and wouldn't recommend them. Germination rate close to nothing for lot of species... I had only good rates for plumeria
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
they are just resellers, and you have only change to get some good germination rate when ordering ONLY from "back in stock" list. I ordered jabo seeds last summer and received dried beans (covered with tiny amount of saw dust) I also order some pistacio seeds they germinate however they were attacked by some mould even if I let  secound batch germinate on sterile medium and soaking the uncoated seeds in hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes.

Also I live in EU, so  the delivery was about 4-5 days but if you are not in EU then the shipping time will be longer and thus the germination of "fresh" seeds will be decreased even more.
Daniel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
Need to keep in mind which seeds are recalcitrant, that is need moisture to stay viable and have short viability, versus seeds that can be dried and refrigerated by the vendor. The second type much more likely to survive if not bought direct from source.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
Tradewind I also got mixed results, some stuff grew other things did not,  but they are cheap, and ship from the US.  like Oscar said, its best to see if the seeds your going to order, have a long shelf life,  I mean do not order something like Neem or Mangosteen from tradewinds, as those seeds are only viable for a few days after picking.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:53 AM »
Hi DL,

I actually had so-so luck with Tradewinds.  I tried them after a fruit grower in Puerto Rico told me that they weren't too bad.  A few items had zero germination but I did get about 50% germination with genip and 2 out of 8 with Dialium schlecterii.  So, if you are lucky & get fresh seeds from them, you may get a few to germinate but again, not a real good source.

John

If they just restocked as someone said, yes your seeds will sprout. Pretty sure about 90% of their stuff is worthless, way past expire date. There are some exceptions in tropical fruit world. Was it illama that remains "active" for 2 years?
Besides most of the fruit seeds they sell are junk. Either starvation fruits or something to fill your botanical garden collection. The only fruit I'm really interested from them is Borneo hairy banana. Suppose to be juicy not mealy with nice kiwi flavor. If anyone has seeds or live plants, I'd like to buy.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I have stopped planting fruit tree seed, last order was a couple of years ago. most of what i want is available already started,  only seeds i have planted recently are for Melon, Winged Bean, and Papaya.

I have limited space, so I want varieties of fruit that are known to be good,  so grafted varieties are the way to go for me now.   but i understand there are some rare trees out there, and the only way to have them is if you plant the seed.   Ebay can be a good source for rare varieties and seeds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:41:36 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk