Author Topic: Wanted: abiu seeds  (Read 8187 times)

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
Wanted: abiu seeds
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »
Would like to buy some if anyone have some spare of good cultivar.

Daniel

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: abiu seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Oscar sells the seeds.
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
Oscar sells the seeds.

I know, I contacted him, but he is out of them right now, so looking for some other source I would like just few from each cultivar.
Daniel

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
Oh, I don't know then, sorry  :( . - regards-PM
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »
A few from each cultivar...sheesh, I guess the term "beggars can't be choosers" no longer exists in this world.
- Rob

rcardaman

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
A few from each cultivar...sheesh, I guess the term "beggars can't be choosers" no longer exists in this world.

I think he clearly stated that he is looking to BUY seeds.  I wouldn't consider a paying customer a "beggar", and a paying customer certainly CAN choose where they spend their hard-earned money.  Maybe what he wants is unavailable here, but what's the harm in asking?

Richard

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »

I think he clearly stated that he is looking to BUY seeds.  I wouldn't consider a paying customer a "beggar", and a paying customer certainly CAN choose where they spend their hard-earned money.  Maybe what he wants is unavailable here, but what's the harm in asking?

Richard
It is a saying, it is a saying that is interpreted in context.

Maybe you have not been on this forum or the "tropical fruit world" long enough.  Obtaining seeds, even a few, "from each cultivar" whether asking for free or looking to buy, IS a tall order.  There are many people looking for many types of seeds, who are willing to pay, but that willingness to pay does not and usually can not fulfill the wishes (especially of hard to come by items).

If I wanted abiu seeds, I would be happy to be offered anything,whether a named cultivar or a seed from a seedling tree that produces excellent quality fruit.  Maybe you haven't noticed but it is not a commonly available item in nurseries like a mango, avocado, etc...there is a reason for that.
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
I don't see any problem with asking for specific selection seeds of Abiu. Many of us on this forum have extensive collections of various fruits with multiple selections. This is the right place to ask for a search for such.

The buyer has to be aware that it will possibly limit the availability, increase the price, and increase the wait time. Given the rarity the seller can add a premium for seeds of high quality selections of Abiu.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

rcardaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
I don't see any problem with asking for specific selection seeds of Abiu. Many of us on this forum have extensive collections of various fruits with multiple selections. This is the right place to ask for a search for such.

The buyer has to be aware that it will possibly limit the availability, increase the price, and increase the wait time. Given the rarity the seller can add a premium for seeds of high quality selections of Abiu.

Well said Nullzero.   I was going to respond in a similar vein, but you summed it up better than I could.

For the record Rob, I've been buying rare seeds for 30 years.  Long before the days of the internet, so I do understand the dynamics of buying seeds.  I once spent 10 years trying to find one particular species, so I realize that the desire to buy something does not create availability.  With regard to Abiu,  I'm fully aware that it is not a Home Depot item and the condescending tone of your response seems a bit out of place here.  There are members of this forum from South Florida, Australia, and Hawaii that all grow Abiu, and there may be others.  So it is not so unreasonable to think there may be some variety in seeds available.

Richard

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:49:50 PM by rcardaman »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
The tone, as you put is, was based on your "wants".  There seem to be a lot of people with "the wants" lately of plants that are just not freely and openly available.

When I mentioned nurseries I was not speaking of HD, or any other big box store.  Those are not nurseries. 

There are many tropical fruit "professionals" and getting these seeds are not what I would call, "easy", regardless of the world wide membership of this forum.  Yes, some have connections but not all members are open to sending seeds/budwood to just anybody.  Its a fact and is what it is, whether you, me or anybody else likes it.

For the most part, the majority of people growing, and willing to send seeds, are growing seedlings of a named cultivar or seedlings of seedlings...that is why I was mentioning that it may be to yours, or anybody's benefit, to grow from what is available and of proven quality as opposed to searching out seed from specific named cultivars that are just not widely available.

One bit of advice, if and when you do grow abiu, be conscience of its climate requirements if you are growing it in Vero.  If you intend to plant outdoors, it will not like the winters there.  If planting in a pot, it will not like the winters there though will be much easier to maneuver and protect/
- Rob

rcardaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
The tone, as you put is, was based on your "wants".  There seem to be a lot of people with "the wants" lately of plants that are just not freely and openly available.

When I mentioned nurseries I was not speaking of HD, or any other big box store.  Those are not nurseries. 

There are many tropical fruit "professionals" and getting these seeds are not what I would call, "easy", regardless of the world wide membership of this forum.  Yes, some have connections but not all members are open to sending seeds/budwood to just anybody.  Its a fact and is what it is, whether you, me or anybody else likes it.

For the most part, the majority of people growing, and willing to send seeds, are growing seedlings of a named cultivar or seedlings of seedlings...that is why I was mentioning that it may be to yours, or anybody's benefit, to grow from what is available and of proven quality as opposed to searching out seed from specific named cultivars that are just not widely available.

One bit of advice, if and when you do grow abiu, be conscience of its climate requirements if you are growing it in Vero.  If you intend to plant outdoors, it will not like the winters there.  If planting in a pot, it will not like the winters there though will be much easier to maneuver and protect/

Some useful information and good advice, but it's Sanitarium that has the "wants" for Abiu seed.  Although I may try to grow Abiu at some point, I'm already zone pushing with some other species to see how that goes first.

Richard

jesseblenn

• Costa Rica Exotic
    • Las Tumbas de Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
Thank you for specifying your wants!   I have a medium size good quality abiu fruiting, can send some seeds for cost of handling and postage, or trade.  Produces at least two crops a year here in Costa Rica.   Write me at jesseblenn at gmail dot com as I often don't have time to keep up with comments here....   I do have another very young one planted from a very large fruit and it has bloomed but did not set due to dry weather.  They can produce in three years from seed.  Probably will have some later in the year.  Also I crossed it (medium one) with my Canistel and have two "Abistel" trees that are over a meter high that should fruit within two years.....  That will be interesting....

Jesse

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
Hi sanitarium,

I think it's OK to ask and want and wish for seeds no matter how rare they are. But sometimes you may have to wait years before finding the seeds you are looking for. There are some seeds that I am still on a quest for after many years. With some luck and patience you may find the seeds you seek. For instance, sometimes when I have extra seeds I browse different forums to see if there is anyone looking for those particular seeds.

Tomas

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
On the other hand, it's NOT Ok to treat people who post "wanted" posts as beggars!!!

For some reason, LATELY, some of our experts old timers are losing it... Are we trying to drive away newbies and welcome only "experts" on this forum?

sanitarium, do a quick search on the word "abiu" and you'll probably find nice people here who will be willing to help you out.
Thera

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
It was probably wrong expression by bsbullie, but I do understand where he is coming from. I found it surprising that so few people on this forum are willing to trade or sell. Its almost like no one wants your money. You basically have to beg for everything.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:50:35 AM by DurianLover »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
... I found it surprising that so few people on this forum are willing to trade or sell...

Sorry, DurianLover, this is completely unfounded. All the people on this forum that I know and that I have asked for help have been extremely helpful. Do not mix up the will to help and the ability to help.

EDIT: We're way off topic here, so sorry.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:30:05 AM by kh0110 »
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »
On the other hand, it's NOT Ok to treat people who post "wanted" posts as beggars!!!

For some reason, LATELY, some of our experts old timers are losing it... Are we trying to drive away newbies and welcome only "experts" on this forum?

sanitarium, do a quick search on the word "abiu" and you'll probably find nice people here who will be willing to help you out.

I think it would be good to keep in mind who it is that is posting the request. Someone like Sanitarium from Slovakia, living very far from the tropics, may not be aware of the rarity of abiu cultivars. Also we have several young posters lately, and some of their request may seem like tall orders to us, but remember all these people are just starting to learn the ins and outs of this hobby. We should not discourage them or brow beat them. On the contrary, i think we need to do everything to encourage them. So let's be as courteous to them as possible.
On a different note, the requests for abiu cultivars reminds me how slack i was in planting them when i had the opportunity. I never realized this fruit would become so popular! There is a lot of interest in this fruit lately. I should have planted and planned a lot better on the abiu scene. So i'm sorry i cannot fulfill some of these requests. Maybe some time in the future?
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:33 AM »
... I found it surprising that so few people on this forum are willing to trade or sell...

Sorry, DurianLover, this is completely unfounded. All the people on this forum that I know and that I have asked for help have been extremely helpful. Do not mix up the will to help and the ability to help.

EDIT: We're way off topic here, so sorry.

Its much easier for FL and CA members because there is a limit on type of species they can grow, numerous local nurseries to cater their needs and they don't look for ultra tropicals. Their needs are limited.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »
Doesn't seem like abiu is ultra tropical. FGM has posted about his success with this fruit in Florida. I think in California it would be much harder to get them to fruit.
Oscar

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
the discussion really goes off topic.

I wanted to buy the seeds and even if I would be a begger, this forum is right place (in my opinion) to ask for any of the seeds and as we live in free market demand and offer will cross in some point (in certain time and place).. Also I think there is always reason why is someone asking for free seeds (in reasonable amounts)
I have already been receiving some seeds for free, even when I was willing and want to pay for them. So would like to  say thank you to Jenny and Tomas(I contact you via diffrent forum:) ) 

I think I should explained my "requirements" more deeply to not be misunderstood or be feeling like I did something wrong..

As I know or from what Ive read there are lot of cultivars/variations and some are not so tasty, so I wanted just a seeds from good tasting tree - which probably everyone would like.
And I was not asking for any named cultivars so I am not on hunt for top tasting ones, and basiclly I have used the word cultivars just describe my demand that I am interesting in more varieties/differnces in taste, I do not mind if it the seeds are coming from seedling of seedling of some unknown cultivar as long as the taste is good. 
Finally by demanding just few seeds of each = it is simple, I do not have room to grow orchads, in my zone 8b-8a, I am only able to grow these in greenhouse or sheltered over winter. And as above was already written the Abiu is still quite hard to find so I tought that if I want few seeds, someone who have just 1-2 spare seeds could be willing to sell them.
On the top it will be a big disapointment if I grow up the tree to mature and find out its taste is blend and full of latex, with context of time and space taken by this..   

Here in mid europe (colder part of EU) is lot of people that are not aware about wide range of tropical fruits (few years ago, I was one of them) and those who do and are having smaller or bigger greenhouses and enjoy growing these are happy for any new speciment in their collection. Sites and comunities like this gives more rural areas oportunity to obtain seeds/scions much more easier. I am also sharing/exchanging my seeds that I bought/trade with other growers in my area.

Daniel

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
The original Australian advice was that abius are suitable to be grown no further poleward than 20 latitude.Practical experience shows that they can be grown well into the subtropics.Darwin is too hot for Gray and probably other varieties that do better in places where winter temps more routinely drop below 20c min and 30 max.
It seems likely that this fruit will enjoy increasing popularity all over and some people take a real shine to them.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
I think some or many of you need to Google the saying I posted.  It does not mean and I was not implying he was begging.  The saying means, in a quick summary, you should be happy with what you can get.  With that understood, I wasn't implying he shouldn't ask for seeds but the distinction that he is willing to accept what ever cultivars are offered.

I understand some may need one or two specific cultivars for a collection or are in search of one specific but in this case the request was for seeds from each, or easily interpreted,  as seeds from all cultivars which IMO is/was unreasonable.
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Doesn't seem like abiu is ultra tropical. FGM has posted about his success with this fruit in Florida. I think in California it would be much harder to get them to fruit.

I'm aware of his success and his climate zone. I didn't mean just abius specifically.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
I think some or many of you need to Google the saying I posted.  It does not mean and I was not implying he was begging.  The saying means, in a quick summary, you should be happy with what you can get.  With that understood, I wasn't implying he shouldn't ask for seeds but the distinction that he is willing to accept what ever cultivars are offered.

I understand some may need one or two specific cultivars for a collection or are in search of one specific but in this case the request was for seeds from each, or easily interpreted,  as seeds from all cultivars which IMO is/was unreasonable.

You are right that it could be intrepreted as from all cultivars or that I want all, for me as not native english speaker it was quite ok. But I meant that I want only few from any offered so if someone JUST e.g. would sell/offer me 15 or 20 seeds I would like to decrease the number as I wouldnt need them or used them. Also if I get seeds from 2-3 sources, I would stop looking as dont have room for more..so just misunderstanding

And thank you jesse, for sure I will send you email. Your Abistel sounds interesting, however it is shame I cant imagine the taste as I havent yet tried canistel or abiu :)

Daniel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
Right now i am out of abiu seeds, but i'm sure later, if you still haven't got what you want i can send you some.
Oscar

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Right now i am out of abiu seeds, but i'm sure later, if you still haven't got what you want i can send you some.

Thank you very much Oscar, I will send you reminder :) just please  let me know when aprox you could have some?

Daniel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk