Author Topic: Baileys Marvel - diagnosis  (Read 1820 times)

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
Baileys Marvel - diagnosis
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Bailey's Marvel:

(growth approx 10 days old, and is on the tallest portion of the tree, so there isnt any kind of "trickle-down" occurring)

(growth approx 3 days old)

(growth approx 18 days old...notice that the two leaf buds just kind of dried up and died?)

Any thoughts on a remedy?  How about what might be eating the leaves?

Last night, I sprayed with Copper with the hopes on maintaining all of the new growth.

Not really sure how to proceed... :'( :'(

Any and all suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Baileys Marvel - diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
my opinion cut off the dead growth or dying growth since you don't want the disease to spread. I had a similar problem with my spirit of 76 tree, however I have recently been spraying the SG citrus nutritional spray mixed with copper due to the constant rain we are having and the problems have either gone away or gotten better because I don't notice any more new growth die back. As a cya, i cut off the new disease prone growth because I didn't want it to work its way into the tree.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
I have no ability to ID the exact problem and frankly I doubt many could from a picture.  In mangoes my thoughts always go to fungal infection.  Spraying with copper topically can help.  With some sever fungal infections, systemic fungicides may be more effective but less desirable because it is a fruit producing tree.  Of course, at this stage you won't be interested in eating fruit, just saving the tree. I frankly never use systemics, but there is relatively low risk as far as I know if you are not going to be eating fruit any time soon.  If it isn't a fungal problem then it is a viral or bacterial problem.  I have never treated for either of these.  I would cut off the affected portions, give the tree good hydration and some weak or time released fertilizer and see  if the tree out grows the problem.  If not, I would replace the tree.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

VentureRider

• Rockledge, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »
give the tree good hydration and some weak or time released fertilizer and see  if the tree out grows the problem.

LOL...take two of these and call me in the morning!

This sounds like a good approach

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk