Author Topic: guanabana/cherimoya hybrid  (Read 10759 times)

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
guanabana/cherimoya hybrid
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
I am the proud mama to a very well producing hybrid between guanabana and cherimoya. The juice is unbelievable and the custard apple sweetness really perks up the guanabana.

I would like to put every one of these fruits into bellies. I am completely organic on my property...best that can be said for a fishing town. Seeds are available the fruit is really dropping.

give a call
772-634-0495
I'm Kathy and new here on this website. Hope I can bring a smile to somebody! These trees need to be everywhere here, eh?

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: guanabana/cherimoya hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
Any pics?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
Sounds good!  How true will the seeds be?
John

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
http://youtu.be/gb-D683Pjhs

That is a link to you tube and a slideshow of fruit and tree...can cut one open too. Seeds are good, just come and grab one from the ground. Best way to get me is email...sposdta@yahoo.com
fruit on friends!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Fruits looks really cool  :), if they taste great count me in for some seeds. I sent you an email.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »
If you have ever watched that cool video where the Rasta dude shows how to make soursop, well that is what I do with this. I use it for juicing. you don't just jam into it like a mango, it is pulpy. When I create the juice by using a little water and mushing the pulp, little lime juice, apple beet carrot spinach celery...dang. What a treat. I think you could do all sorts of stuff with it. You have to find a jamaican! Or search You tube! It is citrusy, strong, sweet.

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
ps....real cancer treatment, preventative health treatment

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
I talked to some more knowledgeable person on Annona sp., told me they did not think a guanabana/cherimoya hybrid was possible. Regardless, the tree and fruit looks very cool and the description sounds like its just as tasty.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:15:07 PM by nullzero »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
It looks like a muricataXreticulata. The leaves are clearly soursop see attached pic. I think Har said that reticulata, muricata and diversifolia pollen only work on cherimola? I love to see pics of the fruit cut open.

I will have seeds of cherimola X diversifolia and cherimola X reticulata in December several fruits have set.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »
I think soursop and cherimoya are from different groupings within the genus and you would not expect compatibility.It would be easier to imagine a cross within the fleshy flowered, shiny leafed types or the sugar apple/cherimoya/reticulate/ilama group. It has a A.montana thing going on.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:39:31 AM »
I think soursop and cherimoya are from different groupings within the genus and you would not expect compatibility.It would be easier to imagine a cross within the fleshy flowered, shiny leafed types or the sugar apple/cherimoya/reticulate/ilama group. It has a A.montana thing going on.

I am not convinced either - I am sure Har has commented on that possible cross before on the forum.! How about some close up photos of the fruit etc. and a bit information about the origin of the tree?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »

guanabana won't cross with sugar apple, illama, atemoya, reticulata, or cherimoya. 

this supposed hybrid tree is probably a species.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
Hey guys she sent me some better pictures of the fruit and one cut open, this is definitely A. montana
- David Antonio Garcia

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
Hey guys she sent me some better pictures of the fruit and one cut open, this is definitely A. montana

If its okay with her, can you post the pics here? Thanks.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

- David Antonio Garcia

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
David,

Thanks for posting the pictures, it looks like a nice A. montana. Reading up about it, some are not very good quality (it sounds like this tree has a good quality fruit).

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »

I've read a study from Indian where they grafted soursop onto cherimoya rootstock. I have not be successful have you tried it??  Mike, when I cross cherimola x reticulata and diversifolia will the fruit change in appearance or taste?? I have a few fruits that have set what can I expect in the next few months as the hybrids develop??

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »

I've read a study from Indian where they grafted soursop onto cherimoya rootstock. I have not be successful have you tried it??  Mike, when I cross cherimola x reticulata and diversifolia will the fruit change in appearance or taste?? I have a few fruits that have set what can I expect in the next few months as the hybrids develop??

I could be wrong but I thought that it only affected the fruit from the trees produced by the seeds of the crossed fruit.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
JF,

there can be a variability of graft compatablilty within each species, so some soursop seedlings are more compatible than others...same with pond apple, cherimoya...and so on.

There's a special pond apple I'm getting seeds from, and it's supposed to be the best variety for optimal grafting compatibility...making a good rootstock for many annonas, like soursop, illama, reticulata, and even others like salzmannii.

Guanabanus said it before, and made me realize this!  in the thread, hungry for more information about annona hybrids.

Graft compatibility is dificult to predict.

Try to find several published "Annona graft compatibility" charts to compare.  You will find they proclaim rather different conclusions!

The fact is that different varieties can be as different in their compatiblities as if they were different species.

Try to know what tree your rootstock seed comes from, and label the batch accordingly.  Keep records of which varieties of scions flourish on that rootstock batch.
Yes it can get very involved, but it is easy to waste time and money when one doesn't keep records and just tries over and over willy nilly.  Speaking from experience!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:01:35 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
JF there are a number of folk with more annona 'muscle' than me on the forum who could answer questions more definitively.It seems you are asking if cross pollination influences the maternal tissue and makes for halfway fruit. I reckon no, it is not possible but others disagree.This has been discussed before and there was evidence presented that on some occasions hybrid pollination may influence fruit character.The hybrid fruit result in the next generation when the seeds with the mixed genes grow.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »
David,

Thanks for posting the pictures, it looks like a nice A. montana. Reading up about it, some are not very good quality (it sounds like this tree has a good quality fruit).

Most A. montana fruits are terrible tasting, with similar soapy taste to pond apple (A. glabra). i've heard there are some montanas that can be good tasting but i've never run across them yet, ditto for pond apple.
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
JF there are a number of folk with more annona 'muscle' than me on the forum who could answer questions more definitively.It seems you are asking if cross pollination influences the maternal tissue and makes for halfway fruit. I reckon no, it is not possible but others disagree.This has been discussed before and there was evidence presented that on some occasions hybrid pollination may influence fruit character.The hybrid fruit result in the next generation when the seeds with the mixed genes grow.

I understand that the next generations are from the seeds but I was just curious because I cross pollinated my two cherimoya trees with atemoya pollen two years ago and I got a lot of weird shape and different tasting fruits. The problem was that I never labeled them.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread before.  It is definitely Annona Montana, or as I would prefer, Guanabanus montanus.

Pollen usually doesn't influence anything obvious, other than the actual seed inside the seed coat.  One glaring exception is Annona glabra pollen put on Sugar-apple or Ilama:  Fruit larger, different skin shapes, spongy inedible pulp, and only liquid inside the seed coats.
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread before.  It is definitely Annona Montana, or as I would prefer, Guanabanus montanus.

Pollen usually doesn't influence anything obvious, other than the actual seed inside the seed coat.  One glaring exception is Annona glabra pollen put on Sugar-apple or Ilama:  Fruit larger, different skin shapes, spongy inedible pulp, and only liquid inside the seed coats.

Har, so these hybrid cherimoyas should look and taste like their mother trees? I will monitor and document their progress all the way to maturity.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »
They are Not hybrid cherimoyas!
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk