Author Topic: Thai fried bananas/banana fritters  (Read 4096 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Thai fried bananas/banana fritters
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
1 lb of peeled and halved or slice into 3rds, if the plantains is to thick.
1 C of rice flour(regular or glutinous rice flour, are both fine) or for a more thicker/heartier crust 50/50 rice and AP flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C of shredded unsweetened coconut flakes or fresh finely shredded coconut meat
1TBSP of untoasted sesame seeds, either white or black is fine or a mixture
1/2 tsp or a pinch of salt
3/4C of water mix with 1tsp of limestone paste or 1/5tsp of baking soda will have the same effect
enough oil of any kind, to fill the wok 1/3 or deep pot about 2" , from the bottom.

Peeled 1lb of burro/Orinoco plantains. Slice the 5-6" plantains into half or 3rd, if it's an extra thick plantain. You can use regular long plantain or any kind of cooking bananas, with a firm flesh. For the plantains, use the really black or almost all black ones, but still firm. The yellow ones are not as sweet and the green ones is just to starchy. If, using the long plantains, cut the plantain into 3rds, then slice each 3rds into halves. But any other cooking banana/plantains, that is 4-6", doesn't need to be cut up just slice it in half. Next, mix all the dry ingredients together, except the baking soda or lime stone paste/powder. Mix the baking soda/limestone paste/powder into the water, until dissolve. Then pour into the dry mixture. Mix well until well blended. It will have a pancake batter texture, but not as thick as waffle batter. If you would like a thinner/thicker batter, just add more water or more flour. But, only add 1 TBSP at a time of either water or flour.
Heat the oil, until, it gets hot enough. I don't know temps, maybe 375-400F, but what I do is drop a little bit of batter into the hot oil. If it sizzle and floats up immediately, the oil is ready. The other method, I have used, to test the oil's readiness, use a wooden chop stick or a wooden spoon, dip the long end of the spoon or the chop stick in the center of the oil. If, there is bubble coming from the submerge wooden cooking utensil, it's ready.
When the oil is ready, you can either drop all the banana slices into the batter and mix well to coat or dip each pieces, one by one. One by one, gets a better coat on the slices. Drop, them in, slowly, so the hot oil, doesn't splash on you. You, don't want your hands, to be cooked as well ;) Drop only 3-5 pieces in at a times, so they don't stick to each other and you don't make the oil temps drop. The first side is cooked for about 30secs, then turn over, then keep turning them over every now and then, until both sides are golden brown. Drain onto a line paper plate or better yet, on a wire rack, so the oil, will drip away faster. Serve while still warm or keep in the oven on the warm option, until ready to serve. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but any kind of ice cream of your choice will work well. Or, for a lighter note, server with a dollop of whip cream or dust of powder sugar. But, eating, them plain, while still warm, is still the best way to go about it.

Note:the limestone/baking soda, is to help the crust become crisper and lighter. Rice flour is use, because, it's give a very light crispy crust, but for a thicker/heavier crust, only the use of AP flour is fine. Rice flour can be either regular rice flour or sticky/glutinous/sweet rice flour. Also, if only AP flour is use, the crust will absorb, more oil, therefore when the fritters, get cold, it gets really greasy/oily, but will still taste just as good.

Enjoy the picture, of tonight's dessert :D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:21:14 PM by thao »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Thai fried bananas/banana fritters
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:10:26 AM »
Thai fried banana's are not bad but the ones in Indonesia are better imho. They use the big black plantains for that. We got them for welcome present together with fresh fruitjuice in almost every resort/hotel that we visited on java and bali.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Nice morning breakfast complimentary. But any fried batter food is always too fattening, if consume to  much. I actually had use the apple bananas, that I had just gotten from Alex(squam), the same day. They turn out to be too mushy/soft after being cooked in the hot oil. But, I used a few table spoon of sticky/glutinous rice flour with the regular and the crust came out extra crispy(made it all better). The burro bananas I had mention in the recipe is a plantain. Just a shorter plantain of about 6"-8". You can use the regular large very ripe black plantains for this recipes, just cut into smaller size cuts.

Have to try the Indonesian ones someday and see how it compares.

Have you tried this with under ripe-ripe jack fruit? It's very good, I say even better with jack fruit than bananas. I know the Malay/Indonesians have a similar jack fruit fritter recipe, but they mostly chop up the jack fruit bulbs into a paste mix with rice and other flour. I don't like that, I prefer to have the jack bulbs whole and dipped in the batter and fried it like that. Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream MMMMMMMMM YUMMMMMMMMMY! ;D I really recommend using the batter recipe for the Thai banana fritters for the jack fruits fritters. It's very addicting. ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:05 AM »
Also the Thai love to eat deepfried things. Me too but i try to not eat it so much.

Here they also sell bbq banana's which i don't like. In Holland we also do it with apple slices which is great for newyears party's when it is very cold. Pine-apple i have eaten as well battered is also good but never had jackfruit.

I m eating crispy jackfruit right now, i think it is also great for being battered but i m too lazy to make it now.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
I actually meant still golden color and crisp jack fruit bulbs. That are slightly under ripe(not ripe-ripe, what kind of language is that lol), but I imagine really ripe ones that are still crisp and not to soft or mushy will be fine too.