Author Topic: Maha Chanok Advice  (Read 5361 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Maha Chanok Advice
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:02:07 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: maha chanok Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
I am sure these are grafts and that would be the rootstock growing.  Therefore....thumbs down.........remove it asap.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
I agree with Harry. That's root stock growth. Take it off.
Alexi

Andrew78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
Yeah I agree. You can clearly see the graft line in the second picture. Off it goes!
Andrew

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
I agree thats the rootstock and it's gotta go. 

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I'll remove it.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
I know I am a little late here...these are definitely grafted, not air layered.
- Rob

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok Advice
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
What would be a good cultivar to graft onto Maha Chanok in view of the fact that it is of low vigor and semi-dwarf? I thought Ice Cream mango, but that maybe is not an elite mango worthy of sharing the tree.
Only interested in elite types like perhaps Fruit Punch, Peach Cobbler, Sweet Tart, Coconut Cream, Cotton Candy, Edward, Pineapple Pleasure, Carrie... most which I believe are big and vigorous.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:13 AM »
What would be a good cultivar to graft onto Maha Chanok in view of the fact that it is of low vigor and semi-dwarf? I thought Ice Cream mango, but that maybe is not an elite mango worthy of sharing the tree.
Only interested in elite types like perhaps Fruit Punch, Peach Cobbler, Sweet Tart, Coconut Cream, Cotton Candy, Edward, Pineapple Pleasure, Carrie... most which I believe are big and vigorous.

There’s nothing semi-dwarf about Maha Chanok.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »
Ah ok. Well, it is marketed here that way. Actually, King Thai is, which is a clone seedling of Maha Chanok.

Any recommendation based on the low vigor characteristic?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »
Ah ok. Well, it is marketed here that way. Actually, King Thai is, which is a clone seedling of Maha Chanok.

From your list some compatible ones might be carrie,cotton candy, and fruit punch. Similar rates of vigor.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
I think there are multiple clones of Maha Chanok. I was told that Dr Richard Campbell alluded to this fact during a talk.

My Maha Chanok, which was grafted from Harry Hausman's tree, is low vigor. And Harry's trees were also of low vigor. I believe that the one being sold by zills / excalibur may be a different clone with perhaps more vigor.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
I think there are multiple clones of Maha Chanok. I was told that Dr Richard Campbell alluded to this fact during a talk.

My Maha Chanok, which was grafted from Harry Hausman's tree, is low vigor. And Harry's trees were also of low vigor. I believe that the one being sold by zills / excalibur may be a different clone with perhaps more vigor.

It’s the same Mango as far as I can tell. Richard made everyone think that there were “multiple” Mahas with that comment but in reality the trees that Harry and Fairchild Farm had produced the same fruit as the Excalibur trees. The issue I’ve encountered is there was budwood supplied to Zill for an order of Maha trees I did in 2013 that was definitely not Maha but was a Thai mango that develops some blush. It tends to turns red when the fruit are pea sized.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

Mine is of very low vigor.

always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

Julie may be a very compatible choice growth-rate wise, but it would depend on your specific area with regards to fungal issues. It has fungal problems here in ultra-humid south Florida, but doesn't have those issues in the Caribbean. Not sure how it would do in different parts of Australia.
always longing for a JA Julie

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
Would there necessarily be a difference in the fruit of selected clones? With respect to the NDM clones, I can't tell a NDM #4 fruit from the older NDM (#8?) fruit. The only difference I see there is that the former is more precocious, more prone to splitting, and sometimes smaller statured then the latter. I have one of the older NDM's and my neighbor has #4. I've been observing both for close to a decade now. My assumption was that MC would be similar.

It’s the same Mango as far as I can tell. Richard made everyone think that there were “multiple” Mahas with that comment but in reality the trees that Harry and Fairchild Farm had produced the same fruit as the Excalibur trees. The issue I’ve encountered is there was budwood supplied to Zill for an order of Maha trees I did in 2013 that was definitely not Maha but was a Thai mango that develops some blush. It tends to turns red when the fruit are pea sized.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Would there necessarily be a difference in the fruit of selected clones? With respect to the NDM clones, I can't tell a NDM #4 fruit from the older NDM (#8?) fruit. The only difference I see there is that the former is more precocious, more prone to splitting, and sometimes smaller statured then the latter. I have one of the older NDM's and my neighbor has #4. I've been observing both for close to a decade now. My assumption was that MC would be similar.

I’ve seen the same thing with #4 vs the other iterations (#8, #11, Mun, and Sia Tong). They pretty much all taste the same, but #4 always splits the worst.

It seems to me that the changes in phenotypic variability with polyembryonic “off types” is not as extreme as it is with monoembryonic seedlings (Maha is monoembryonic), particularly when it comes to fruit shape. I guess it’s conceivable that a mutation could have occurred, though the only variety I’m aware of that was definitely a mutation was Davis Haden.

We need a way to cheaply do DNA analysis for mangos so we can do our own pedigree analysis without all the USDA-inspired errors.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
There are multiple variants of Kesar, which I think monoembryonic (I haven't ever examined the seeds). I have both Jumbo and regular, and the only difference I can note is size. Granted, I haven't gotten more than a handful of fruit from each tree.

That said, all MC here could be one and the same. I know NDM #4 is high variable in terms of stature. I've seen trees over a decade old that stand a mere 7 feet tall, and I've seen trees that grow into monsters. Perhaps there is some rootstock influence.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
There are multiple variants of Kesar, which I think monoembryonic (I haven't ever examined the seeds). I have both Jumbo and regular, and the only difference I can note is size. Granted, I haven't gotten more than a handful of fruit from each tree.

That said, all MC here could be one and the same. I know NDM #4 is high variable in terms of stature. I've seen trees over a decade old that stand a mere 7 feet tall, and I've seen trees that grow into monsters. Perhaps there is some rootstock influence.

What is your Maha grafted to? I think Harry’s origInal was from Thailand.

I have a “Jumbo” Kesar with budwood sourced from Fairchild. The fruit from this tree seems to be the same size as the “regular” Kesar, but the photos of the Jumbo looks like a significantly larger fruit with perhaps a more pronounced hook at the bottom. On the other hand, I had a Regular Kesar in Loxahatchee that came from you by way of Zill years ago that produced seemingly “Jumbo” sized Kesars. I topworked a Baptiste tree to that and transplanted it to West Palm where it’s growing now.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »

Do you know what version Excalibur sells? I bought my Kesar there.

I have a “Jumbo” Kesar with budwood sourced from Fairchild. The fruit from this tree seems to be the same size as the “regular” Kesar, but the photos of the Jumbo looks like a significantly larger fruit with perhaps a more pronounced hook at the bottom. On the other hand, I had a Regular Kesar in Loxahatchee that came from you by way of Zill years ago that produced seemingly “Jumbo” sized Kesars. I topworked a Baptiste tree to that and transplanted it to West Palm where it’s growing now.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
That's curious. I have the exact same two trees :D. One from Fairchild Farms and one from Zills. One is topworked to Keitt and the other has rooted into the ground from a 7gal pot. The former tree (jumbo) always bears larger fruits, though not by much.

My MC is grafted to NDM seed (the older variant). At least that was how I had labeled the rootstock when I grafted it... assuming my labeling was correct.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »

Do you know what version Excalibur sells? I bought my Kesar there.

Excalibur probably sells whatever Kesar Zill has been grafting. Which I believe is the regular.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:33:03 PM »

I got my Kesar from Jeff and it has been a good producer for me. The mangoes are bigger than a Carrie and taste really good too.. They have a pronounced hook as well.