Author Topic: Poncirus+ early bud break  (Read 1641 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Poncirus+ early bud break
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:43:54 AM »
There's been at least one post questioning Poncirus+ winter hardiness. Due to experiencing a very mild winter, I can't really address it's ultimate winter hardiness, except noticing that they're the only trees showing bud-break this early. None of the citranges, other Poncirus, TaiTri, 5* citrumelo, Ichangquat, etc. are showing bud-break. Perhaps this early loss of dormancy contributes to decreased hardiness.
It remains to be seen whether the remainder of the selections will follow within days, or will remain dormant for several additional weeks.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Poncirus+ early bud break
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
I have a branch of it grafted on FD. Both are at the same stage (pushing flower buds).
Best regards,
                       Ilya

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:16:42 PM »
I should have waited a day, some of the citranges are also breaking buds. Not every Poncirus+ is breaking buds, which is likely due to their zygotic nature. I should be identifying which trees are budding early, as they may be less desirable for breeding purposes.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »
I have several Poncirus+ cuttings on own roots around the yard all of them experienced freeze damage (NJ 7a) with yellow stems and splits, with yellowing and dying back to the ground level. Pictured are two different areas of the yard. The lowest winter temp was 7f, we had a few very warm early spring days followed by lows of 20F. This probably caused the damage.

Not pictured, my grafted Poncirus+ on "regular" trifoliate I confirmed not showing any damage.

Cutting in front of house:

Another cutting in a different spot starting to show yellowing and bark damage:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 04:44:07 PM by vnomonee »

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »
My FD and Poncirus had such damage after a warm period in early spring. The freezing temperatures caught them then when they had already awakened from dormancy.
I also think that is the reason, as you have already written.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 04:25:57 PM by mikkel »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 10:15:19 PM »
My poncirus often bloom before my other citrus varieties and the blooms can’t withstand a freeze. Some years I don’t get poncirus fruit.