Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 963380 times)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1100 on: April 27, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
Hey Dangermouse, there's already red skinned, red fleshed DF varieties out there. Is this one special in some sort of way. The name makes it sound super red unless the the Mega is referring to it being a Megalanthus.

Simon

Simon, Erik was throwing out alot of info about new stuff they brought up so I was kinda overloaded with words. Didn't get the greatest look at the picture he put up on the overhead when talking about it, but sure looked like a red skinned version of the yellow dragon fruit (with spines on the fruit). I did ask him if it took as long to ripen as the yellow type and he replied that it wasn't one that ripens in 30+ days, but more in the 120+ day range (or longer).

Still waiting to hear back on whether or not it is megalanthus.

DM

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 27, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the information DM. It would be awesome if it were a Red Megalanthus that is different than Frankie's Red. Do you recall if the fruit was large or small?

Simon

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
Danger mouse,

Did you happen to get a photo of the "Mega Red?" I have a plant that was supposedly from PIN that they were calling "Red Megalanthus" (this is second hand information passed on to me when I was given the cutting) but was not for sale at the time.  I wonder if it is the same plant.

Richard

Dangermouse01

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Richard, here are some photos. Let me know what you think it is.

DM

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Looks to have Megalanthus blood. I can't wait for someone to fruit it and give a taste report! Thanks for sharing the pic!

Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 29, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »
Danger mouse,

Did you happen to get a photo of the "Mega Red?" I have a plant that was supposedly from PIN that they were calling "Red Megalanthus" (this is second hand information passed on to me when I was given the cutting) but was not for sale at the time.  I wonder if it is the same plant.

Richard
Richard, it looks like the one I had labeled as Yellow Undatus, as the one I had labeled as Red Megalanthus looks like an Undatus. Have you found any additional information on what we have? I'm sure I labeled them correctly as I received them, I think the person had the two varieties backwards, and has now reversed it. I should have flowers this season. My "Houghton just put out it's first flowers last night and tonight. I also talked to Alex Silber about the "Namibia Orange" variety and he says he has never heard of it, but claims Frankies has an orange skinned megalanthus which maybe the one we have.

Dangermouse01

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 29, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
PIN email confirmation "The fruit is S. megalanthus"

DM

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:58:19 PM by Dangermouse01 »

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 29, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
DM - That is good, because it does look like a megalanthus.

Mark -  I  am still trying to figure out what this "Red Megalanthus" is.  Based  comparing data from the plant you gave me to the published descriptions, it looks to be most similar to H. peruvianus. unfortunately I cannot find  any photos or drawings of peruvianus to try and confirm this and the plant that I purchased as H. peruvianus was not even close to being the real thing.

I now have two "Yellow Undatus" that look look like S. megalanthus, neither are large enough to bloom this year, so I just have to be patient.  The Tel-Zur group in Israel has published a photo of a yellow skinned undatus that has the megalanthus scalloped edges (70-02-09), so I am holding out hope that it really is the yellow skinned undatus.  Did the megalanthus cutting you got from Art look like a typical S. megalanthus?

Surprising that Alex Silber did not know about "Namibia Orange" since according to Ethan (who got the plant and  info from Huntington Botanic Gardens) it was collected by Alex's father and donated to HBG.  It might be that he does not know the plant by that name. I am hoping mine fruits this year.

Richard

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 29, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been making a trellis for my dragonfruit and need some advice on how to space them.

I currently have 4 types to plant into my new trellis system in the photo, 2 of them are already tall enough to hang over the top. There will be a pole down the center of each pot to help guide the plant up to the top of the trellis though.

Shall I just put all 4 plants in one pot so I have space for more varieties later on or is that too crowded? I currently have 2 red flesh, a yellow flesh and a white flesh.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 29, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
Waterfall,

If you have not tried the selenicereus megalanthus, then I would hold off planting this out. Many people, myself included, find the taste odd and generally not nice. If yours is the mega x White hylocereus, it will taste exactly the same as the white variety--which is to say, very bland. The yellow mega is also not a very good pollinator--at all.

The purples are the best, followed closely by the reds, which are trailed quite a way by the whites. I have one of the largest collections in Australia now, and can sell you some better varieties if you wish.

Your trellis system will work--but be careful with that treated pine. Because dragonfruit are epiphytes (kinda) they will absorb the nasty chemicals in the wood. I am currently moving into farming them, and have recently learned that you cannot get organic certified if they are grown on treated pine trellises. Those pots are a great size, but I think you should elevate them to stop them pooling water; standing water will absolutely kill your plants. If you don't want to do this, lay down a few inches of gravel at the bottom of each pot. Crossbeams joining the 'roof' will save you a lot pain down the track; young, heavy shoots have a tendency to snap unless supported. This can happen without you noticing--these partially attached limbs will not appear dead, but will not grow.

I recommend planting out both your reds and the white for pollination. Ditch the yellow. There's more than enough space for three plants.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
Here's an update on the self-tensioning crown design. It has started to level off now that it has branched out, and will spread to a good size and nice shape I believe.

Forgive the mess--I had a 40 foot tall blue quandong come down last week. It took out one of my dragons but missed my papaya and bananas. Small mercies. Mostly just happy it didn't smash the fence.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:50:52 PM by starling1 »

Waterfall

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 30, 2015, 12:14:44 AM »
Thanks Starling,

I assume the tree absorbs the chemicals through those small roots that attach to things? if so I can keep them off the timber which I have also now also stained and added some crossbeams for support. The central climbing pole will be pvc plastic.

I'd still like to try the yellow, maybe I will just plant it against the back fence as its already very large and will most likely give fruit this coming spring.

I was planning to put some sandstone rubble in the base of those pots for drainage, they are very large pots and I would need a lot of soil to fill them otherwise too.

I'll PM you about other varieties.

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 02, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
How many lateral shoots to keep once we cut the top off?

I am seeing 12 new shoots popping, some are as low as 2 feet from the top where I cut.

Is this normal? Do I keep them all or limit them to only a few on the very top?

Or let them all grow and prune them later and use it as cuttings?

Please advice.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 02, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
My first DF flowers of the year are about to open and I still have three yellow DF hding on the vine so there is still a slim possibility I may be able to get year round DF production. It's still going to be a while before I get fruit from these first flowers.

Simon

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 02, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »

I am seeing 12 new shoots popping, some are as low as 2 feet from the top where I cut.

Please advice.

It's normal. I prune everything below the trellis top. Every couple months it tries to put out more shoots below the trellis but otherwise the plant will know to only produce from the top. If you want fruit soon, don't wait for them to get big and take cuttings, just prune.

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 02, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
My first DF flowers of the year are about to open and I still have three yellow DF hding on the vine so there is still a slim possibility I may be able to get year round DF production. It's still going to be a while before I get fruit from these first flowers.

Simon

Nice! You have some serious flowers there -- do I remember correctly that you use some bloom fertilizer? My American Beauties are budding, maybe a dozen at this point, but my Halley's has nothing. I'm still getting a lot more green growth than flowers. Any ideas?

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 02, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
Here on Maui also getting 1st flowers on Hylocereus types yesterday [ note Halie's Comet also not showing anything] .
The Selenicereus types flowered about 3 weeks ago.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »
I made sure not to water too much several months ago and i also gave it some Hawaiin bud n bloom.  Its an ultrabloom type fertilizer that I drenched with about 2 months ago.  I also use some kelp emulsion to hold more fruit, not sure if it really works or not but I figure it won't hurt. 

Simon

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »

Please advice.

It's normal. I prune everything below the trellis top. Every couple months it tries to put out more shoots below the trellis but otherwise the plant will know to only produce from the top. If you want fruit soon, don't wait for them to get big and take cuttings, just prune.

Okay, thanks so much.

I'll try to balance it out between cuttings and fruit. May be keep 1 or max 2 shoots below the trellis for future cuttings.

Waterfall

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 03, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »
I've just finished building my trellis, I think it came out quiet nice.

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 03, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »

Looks fantastic! Those red planters really stand out, nice work!

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 04, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »

Wow, beautiful trellis, wish you lots of luck with your dragonfruit :)

My dragonfruits are growing nicely :> but I'm wondering if they need more light, since it's pretty thin

I also noticed this one is 2-sided, should I remove it and keep the bottom, or let it be? :)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #1122 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
Waterfall,

If you have not tried the selenicereus megalanthus, then I would hold off planting this out. Many people, myself included, find the taste odd and generally not nice. If yours is the mega x White hylocereus, it will taste exactly the same as the white variety--which is to say, very bland. The yellow mega is also not a very good pollinator--at all.

The purples are the best, followed closely by the reds, which are trailed quite a way by the whites. I have one of the largest collections in Australia now, and can sell you some better varieties if you wish.

Your trellis system will work--but be careful with that treated pine. Because dragonfruit are epiphytes (kinda) they will absorb the nasty chemicals in the wood. I am currently moving into farming them, and have recently learned that you cannot get organic certified if they are grown on treated pine trellises. Those pots are a great size, but I think you should elevate them to stop them pooling water; standing water will absolutely kill your plants. If you don't want to do this, lay down a few inches of gravel at the bottom of each pot. Crossbeams joining the 'roof' will save you a lot pain down the track; young, heavy shoots have a tendency to snap unless supported. This can happen without you noticing--these partially attached limbs will not appear dead, but will not grow.

I recommend planting out both your reds and the white for pollination. Ditch the yellow. There's more than enough space for three plants.

I am going to assume by purple you mean the pink ones, and red is the blood ones?

turgut

• türkiye /muğla /dalaman
    • View Profile
    • http://tropikalmeyvelerim.com
« Reply #1123 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:14 AM »
Hi
Do you have any idea about this dragon fruit?roots are ok and other branches are ok but
This one has problem
There is no lack of water in pot

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:41 AM »
Waterfall,

I am going to assume by purple you mean the pink ones, and red is the blood ones?

Some are kind of magenta (pinkish) and some are truly purple. Both are better than the reds--but not by much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk