Author Topic: Shady trees  (Read 6003 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Shady trees
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »
I have some shady spots that get little or no sun except in the summer. What fruit trees/plants can I put in those spots? 
JC

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Shady trees
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
You could try a few cacao, maybe some garcinia's.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
I don't know anything about garcinias yet. I have to do some research, but are they quality fruit?  What size tree are we talking about?

JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
I would not go with Cacao based on your description.  Cacao, while young, need to be protected from direct sun, especially the summer sun.  Once they grow up they can tolerate the sun however while I could hook you up with a decent size cacao, it is still in its juvenile stage and once summer rolled around it would suffer greatly in the direct sun.  I understand you are fighting the angle of the winter sun so its a tough choice.

If you like sour/tart/extremely subacid fruits, then you could consider a garcinia, possible a lemon drop mangosteen.

Just how little sun does it get in the wintertime?  Carambola would most likely work in that spot.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »
I already have a Bell carambola. I'm not really interested in cacao.

I'm looking for something to plant next to the deck. Zero sun during winter. Southern exposure is blocked by the three story house and 2nd level deck.

How about allspice?  Love the aroma and its a great BBQ wood.

I would not go with Cacao based on your description.  Cacao, while young, need to be protected from direct sun, especially the summer sun.  Once they grow up they can tolerate the sun however while I could hook you up with a decent size cacao, it is still in its juvenile stage and once summer rolled around it would suffer greatly in the direct sun.  I understand you are fighting the angle of the winter sun so its a tough choice.

If you like sour/tart/extremely subacid fruits, then you could consider a garcinia, possible a lemon drop mangosteen.

Just how little sun does it get in the wintertime?  Carambola would most likely work in that spot.
JC

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
Don't forget miracle fruit!

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
I don't know anything about garcinias yet. I have to do some research, but are they quality fruit?  What size tree are we talking about?

Maybe try some of Luc's Mexican garcinia's. Not sure how cold you get, but my mexican garcinia's have taken a few hard frosts with no issues. My achachairu seems to take frosts with no problem too.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:43 PM »
I already have a Bell carambola. I'm not really interested in cacao.

I'm looking for something to plant next to the deck. Zero sun during winter. Southern exposure is blocked by the three story house and 2nd level deck.

Allspice would work (though to get wood for BBQ would mean chopping it so I would just stick with it for its leaves and berries).  Bay Rum is another option with nice smelling leaves.

You could also go with a Cas Guava (beautiful tree with sour yet extremely flavorful fruits, great in drinks, ice creams, etc...I think I gave you a fruit last time I saw you).

As always, come by on Saturday and lets look around...
- Rob

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:17 AM »
Carambola would most likely work in that spot.

I agree ;)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »

It grows in the shade, but a tree in the shade is very upright and not so attractive compared to one in the open which gets a nicer form.  Allspice is the wood of choice for plough handles in Belize where there are 900 species of wood to choose from.  You just stare at the tree until you see the shape you are looking for.  I got some amazing light-weight matching cart handles this way.  Too valuable to burn in my opinion.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
I have a spot in my yard that doesn't get direct sunlight in the winter, but does the rest of the year.  What could I plant that loses its leaves in winter and doesn't need the sunlight?
John

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
I want to try some garcinias. Lemon drop mangosteen sounds interesting.  When are LDs and other garcinias available in S Florida?
JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
I want to try some garcinias. Lemon drop mangosteen sounds interesting.  When are LDs and other garcinias available in S Florida?
Of the ones that will do well and fruit here, I don't think you will like them.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
Too sour?
JC

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
No they are not sour, they have a nice flavor. And they grow well in Palm City. I have seedlings from Ira Smith plants, he has a large plant near south fork high school. It fruits alot
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Too sour?
For what you like, I would say yes.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
I like the lemon drops too. They are a little sour but I think they have a nice flavor. I bought a grafted one from Puerto Rico. I'm probably going to try to find a big seedling when I am down this year. They are pretty effortless to grow and stay pretty small so I think they are worth the space.

Has anyone tried growing Achachairu down there? They are one of my favorite fruits.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:08:42 PM by Jsvand5 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »
I have a spot in my yard that doesn't get direct sunlight in the winter, but does the rest of the year.  What could I plant that loses its leaves in winter and doesn't need the sunlight?

Does anyone think that either persimmon or fig will work? ???  Please help me out, you experts!
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »

Does anyone think that either persimmon or fig will work? ???  Please help me out, you experts!
I wouldn't go with a fig but that is just my opinion.  Persimmons can be finicky bearers in SFLa however according to some the variety South Florida MIGHT be more productive (I have not personally seen it produce but worthy sources say it will).

How much room do you have for this tree?
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
I have enough room for a small tree or one that I can keep pruned to 10 ft. X 10 ft. or maybe 12 X 12.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »
I have enough room for a small tree or one that I can keep pruned to 10 ft. X 10 ft. or maybe 12 X 12.
Does the area get any sunlight in the winter?  If not, approximately what month does the area start getting sun again?
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
March, which means that during the entire winter, Dec.-Mar., it doesn't get direct sunlight.  The reason for this is that directly on the other side (south) of the fence the neighbor has a very tall (and thick) 25-ft.-high clump of plants growing, travellers palm, I believe.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:27:12 AM by johnb51 »
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk