Author Topic: Has anyone grown or know anything about these two types of Taiwanese guavas?  (Read 4671 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Hi, i'm new here, but long time lurker and I mail order these two Taiwanese guavas? from a nursery down in southern Cali last year and was told they are varieties from Taiwan. They are still small, about a 1 1/2 years old and 1' tall cuttings. Does anyone know or grow these two varieties to know how the fruit quality is like ie. crunchy or soft, sweet or bland, etc. I don't know how to post pictures yet, but have the link from the nursery's site attached. They are the first and 3rd pictures on the top row(pearl and emperor guavas)
http://www.tropicalbonsainursery.net/on%20sale%20item/tropical-guava/guava.html

Herman

• View Profile
They are crunchy, and are of a good size (baseball size or bigger).  They are a little tart and not as sweet as the smaller soft kinds.

Thanks,

Herman

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Thanks Herman, for that info. I do like crunchier guava that are not to sweet, so maybe I'll like these too.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
At a local botanical fair, I bought a guava, called  crystal, I gave it to my wife to try, I am not much of a fan of eating guavas out of hand.  anyway, she really liked it a lot,  it so happens there is a Taiwan experimental station in the DR.  they had 2 varieties,  Crystal, and I think the other is called Celeste , both white crunchy types, both baseball or a bit larger sized fruit.

I bought one plant of each, but lost one, the other is hanging on,  but still pretty small.   anyway, guess what I am saying is, they are pretty good tasting. but guavas seem to be a magnet for pests around my place.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
If you have the Taiwanese/mandarin (traditional) name is can tell you about them.  I dont know a lot about guava, but the family is right into them.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Tropicdude-
I think the crystal guava you mention is probably the crystal seedless guava we have here in the states.

Kay-
Sorry I don't know their traditional taiwanese names. I got them from that same site I linked in the first post. It only mentions that one is called emperor and the other is called hybrid pearl guava.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Hi, i'm new here, but long time lurker and I mail order these two Taiwanese guavas? from a nursery down in southern Cali last year and was told they are varieties from Taiwan. They are still small, about a 1 1/2 years old and 1' tall cuttings. Does anyone know or grow these two varieties to know how the fruit quality is like ie. crunchy or soft, sweet or bland, etc. I don't know how to post pictures yet, but have the link from the nursery's site attached. They are the first and 3rd pictures on the top row(pearl and emperor guavas)
http://www.tropicalbonsainursery.net/on%20sale%20item/tropical-guava/guava.html

I have / had two of those guavas, the first year I got nice baseball sized crunchy fruit, after that scale and sooty mold took one down and stunted the other.

My only success with Guava has been strawberry and lemon guavas :-( They seem immune to both scale and mold.

Regards,

Gary

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Gary-
that's nice that they gave nice baseball size fruits, but sucks that you lost them. In the near future, if mine doesn't come to the same fate as yours did, I can get you some cuttings if you want to try growing some again or even better an air layer or seedling. The strawberry and lemon guava are very hardy indeed and pest/disease free. They are very common around the west coast and often use as landscape trees/shrubs. They are also an invasive species in Hawaii(Oscar/fruitlover should know a thing or two about this) 

Charlie23

• View Profile
They are crunchy, and are of a good size (baseball size or bigger).  They are a little tart and not as sweet as the smaller soft kinds.

Thanks,

Herman

so which varieties did you ordered?

Got them yet?

Herman

• View Profile
I just started a few Taiwanese variety red and white fleshed guavas.  My parents have a few of these varieties in their back yard in Los Angeles.

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
after that scale and sooty mold took one down and stunted the other.

yes they are prone to insects.  Here i find those white fluffy mealy types to be the biggest problems.

for sooty mold, you may find this is a direct result of other bugs on the plant.  aphids, mealy, maybe scale all release waste, and it is often quite sweet, hence ants farming them, and so they release onto whatever is below (leaves/fruit) and mold grows.

I think pretty much every guava farm in Taiwan bags their fruit to protect them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk