Author Topic: Jatropha curcas - edible type ? seed source ?  (Read 2843 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Jatropha curcas - edible type ? seed source ?
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
I was watching a video of a guy in Florida with a food-forest
lots of great stuff by the way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbbcqBVldX4

He mentions there is a variety of Jatropha that is edible ?
"selected form brought back from Mexico by Julia Morton"

i would like to grow it if i can
does anyone know the cold tolerance ?
i read male and female flowers are born on the same plant.
so, i  dont need multiple plants, which is often the case with several nut trees,
and one reason i want to grow this.

If anyone knows where i can get seed for the edible type, please let me know.
also, this brings up a question as to how variable the seed is per toxic substances ?

From Wiki...

The seeds in the zone around Misantla, Veracruz are very appreciated by the population as food once they have been boiled and roasted. It is unclear if this is due to the existence of a non-toxic variety of Jatropha in Mexico and Central America, or if the seeds become edible once processed by cooking.[48]
    It is also similarly reported that Jatropha seeds are edible once the embryo has been removed.[49] Again it may be so because of these seeds coming from a local non-toxic variety. HCN is present.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jatropha_curcas

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jatropha curcas - edible type ? seed source ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
I found someone selling a nut tree they called the Florida Pistachio.  I got one and planted it in the ground last year.
This year I tried some of the nuts and they were really good. I tried planting a few and one grew and is still thriving. I wanted to learn more about
the tree and found out its common name is physics tree or Barbados nut tree. It turns out the tree is Jatropha curcas. I read the nut is used for
biofuel and toxic? The guy I got the tree from has been eating them for the past several years and when he got the original seeds they were from
someone who also ate the nuts. Does anyone have any info on this tree? As far as growing, it is deciduous and drought tolerant and very easy to grow.
I wanted to plant 6 after trying the nut it was so good. I don't want to poison my family yet, well sometimes my wife....
Did you ever find a source greenman62?
Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
Many eat apple seeds and dont know they are toxic.  Same goea fir eating too much raw beets.  Who knows what the toxicity is doing to their bodies. 
- Rob

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
This tree sounds really interesting.  I also read that there are non toxic varieties.  Maybe you have one?  Do you have any seeds?  Dave.

I found someone selling a nut tree they called the Florida Pistachio.  I got one and planted it in the ground last year.
This year I tried some of the nuts and they were really good. I tried planting a few and one grew and is still thriving. I wanted to learn more about
the tree and found out its common name is physics tree or Barbados nut tree. It turns out the tree is Jatropha curcas. I read the nut is used for
biofuel and toxic? The guy I got the tree from has been eating them for the past several years and when he got the original seeds they were from
someone who also ate the nuts. Does anyone have any info on this tree? As far as growing, it is deciduous and drought tolerant and very easy to grow.
I wanted to plant 6 after trying the nut it was so good. I don't want to poison my family yet, well sometimes my wife....
Did you ever find a source greenman62?
Mike

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
Dave
I currently have 5 seeds from a late fruit. There may be a few more around the tree, it had a very late cluster.
Each fruit has 4 seeds inside. The seeds have a black thin coating and the nut is inside. I planted a few of the black seeds and
one sprouted and is currently about a foot tall. I put it in a 7 gallon and was going to plant later if I found out they were non-toxic.
The one in the ground has lost all it's leaves and is dormant but the small one in the 7 gallon hasn't lost its leaves?
Mike

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
The man in the video is Josh Jamison he is the head of agricultural operations at H.E.A.R.T. in Lake whales. He has a amazing collection of rare/unheard of edibles, I dont know where he is finding or even learning about some of stuff he has in his collection. HEART is a great organization if you are in the area i would check it out, they have a small nursery of edibles i think they have more info on their website. Last time i was there i got alot of cool stuff including the edible jatropha, Josh made it a point to warn people that not all jatrophas are edible and not to let people confuse them also he propagates his from cuttings because cross pollination is a issue with edible and toxic cultivars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk