Author Topic: Alano fruit set  (Read 2008 times)

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Alano fruit set
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Hello, this morning I was watering my trees and noticed my Alano had 2 tiny fruits for the first time! If they actually hold on , how long do they usually take to mature and harvest? Thanks! I’ll post some pics tonight.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Alano fruit set
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »
Will deoend a kittke in the winter temos but most likely, anywhere from February on (main season here is Feb thru June).
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
First time I got ripe fruit was this year. It took ten to eleven months.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
I discovered my first Alano formed small fruits in October 2017, today they are still hanging...(but getting near to picking time I think):

Left: 2 Alanos; Right: 1 Hasya:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:08:12 PM by Samu »
Sam

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
Ok so looks likes they take a while, here’s my first little guy.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »
Finding the right time to pick can be tricky. They don't change much cosmetically when ripe. Ive been lightly scratching the skin with fingernail and looking at the color beneath the top layer of skin. If it is green, not ready. When it turns brownish, time to pick. That has worked for Silas Woods at least.

Little fruits are set on my alano too, can't wait to try. Raccoons, opossums, or other critters beat me to the first ones, so the wait continues.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the advise roblack, seems like I have to wait till next year for ripening though, that’s what I understood at least. I’m hoping my dog guards my trees from the critters -  Would love to see some more pics of your Alanos!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:56:04 PM by AlexTrees »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »
Finding the right time to pick can be tricky. They don't change much cosmetically when ripe. Ive been lightly scratching the skin with fingernail and looking at the color beneath the top layer of skin. If it is green, not ready. When it turns brownish, time to pick. That has worked for Silas Woods at least.

Little fruits are set on my alano too, can't wait to try. Raccoons, opossums, or other critters beat me to the first ones, so the wait continues.

There are a few things to look for.  The spine on tbe tip will naturally fall off (so dont break it off prematurely).  The rougher texture/scruff on the exterior skin will smooth some and the color will change/lighten ever so slightly.  Yes, the acratch test but dont make a habit of scratching to death.  Also, as with mangoes, there should be no milky sap bleeding if picked at optimal time.

As with avocado,  over time you will get better at harvesting.
- Rob

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:35:36 AM »
I really appreciate all the advise guys , still bummed that I have to wait so long for the fruits to mature. :(  but I read and heard that it will continue to flower and hopefully set more fruit throughout most of the year - so I guess there is a long initial wait and then I’ll have fruit for many months. :)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 02:28:38 AM »
Yeah, after the initial long wait, hopefully the fruits keep on maturing a few at a time, which is actually great for us home growers, so we may enjoy them for a long stretch of the year.

While feeding my trees this afternoon, I found that my very first Makok (this one was hanging at the highest branch) had already been sampled by a small bird! Teaches me to keep an eye on those maturing fruits, not to let the birds beat you...

Sam

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the additional signs of ripening Rob!

Agreed, the scratch test can easily be overdone and can damage fruits. Getting better at determining ripe fruits, so relying on it less. Last SW picked, I thought it was ready, scratched for the 1st time and it was brownish, and picked. After a few days, it is now ready to eat. Doubt I'll get any though.

Alano tree. Hard to get a sense of the shape with the jungle behind it.

Alano fruit, going to be a while...

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
Nice! Roblack how old is your tree?  It looks like it’s happy 😃

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
Thanks! It was planted in-ground as a 3 gallon about 2.5 years ago. Trimmed it down a few feet approx 10 months ago, before Irma hit. Its been flowering for 1.5 years, but hasn't held much fruit.