Author Topic: Florida Hass Avocado  (Read 19502 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Florida Hass Avocado
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:23:02 AM »
Our Florida Hass avocado tree (purchased from a grower) is about 5 years old and has maybe a hundred good-sized fruit.  We've picked a few and let them ripen in a paper bag inside since I had read that avocadoes don't ripen on the tree.  That's probably false.  Anyway, the ones we've eaten taste somewhat to me like a regular Fl avo, but could be because they were picked a bit too early.    Made me wonder if it was a cross between a Hass and regular Fl avo.  Anyone have any data (not just hearsay) about this?  I'm going to let them ripen longer and pick another next month and see how that one tastes.
Any avocado picked too early is going to taste watery. Oils develop during last stages of fruit development.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
I think many folks get "mature" and "ripe" mixed up.  Doesn't matter what the fruit is you need long/sufficient hang time for high quality.  I have a vineyard - the sugars/acids can be spot on but is the physiological maturity there to make premium wine?

Nice thing about most fruits including avocados is you can do a taste test here and there and when they're good, get after it.  I tend to use the fruit's stem as an indication of maturity too.  When it starts lignifying or is woody, it's either there are real close.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:10:15 AM by Mark in Texas »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
All of the FL Hass I've had have been incredibly creamy -- as good or better than CA Hass.
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
I think many folks get "mature" and "ripe" mixed up.  Doesn't matter what the fruit is you need long/sufficient hang time for high quality.  I have a vineyard - the sugars/acids can be spot on but is the physiological maturity there to make premium wine?

Nice thing about most fruits including avocados is you can do a taste test here and there and when they're good, get after it.  I tend to use the fruit's stem as an indication of maturity too.  When it starts lignifying or is woody, it's either there are real close.

Avocados will also start to turn color and loose their shininess when ready to pick. A bit of a generalization as will depend on variety. But yes you can always pick one to try out and see if it's really mature.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
Avocados will also start to turn color and loose their shininess when ready to pick. A bit of a generalization as will depend on variety. But yes you can always pick one to try out and see if it's really mature.

My sharwil turned that way months ago but was not ready then.  I think all fruits have visual cues (besides brix and other stuff) that indicate maturity.  Gonna give an exmple for wine grapes. I pick ONLY when the following criteria are met:

1.  Brix is between 22-27 depending on preferred style,

2. Proper acid/pH,

3. Seeds, very important.  Mature grapes will have medium to dark brown seeds that have a crunch when ground in the teeth,

4.  Cluster peduncle or stem - lignifies some or totally.

The same type of visual and sensual human criteria should be developed for avocados IMO.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
Our Florida Hass avocado tree (purchased from a grower) is about 5 years old and has maybe a hundred good-sized fruit.  We've picked a few and let them ripen in a paper bag inside since I had read that avocadoes don't ripen on the tree.  That's probably false.  Anyway, the ones we've eaten taste somewhat to me like a regular Fl avo, but could be because they were picked a bit too early.    Made me wonder if it was a cross between a Hass and regular Fl avo.  Anyone have any data (not just hearsay) about this?  I'm going to let them ripen longer and pick another next month and see how that one tastes.

The history behinnd the Florida Hass is this:  Laurence Zill obtained scions from California from various seedling trees.  He grew them out in Floria and one was selected on the basis of what seemed to be the most cold hardy.  This "sole survivor" was named Florida Hass.  Unfortunately I don't have any information on the parentage of the scions, specicially the Florida Hass.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the history, rob. That's very interesting. FL Hass is currently my favorite FL guac.

The history behinnd the Florida Hass is this:  Laurence Zill obtained scions from California from various seedling trees.  He grew them out in Floria and one was selected on the basis of what seemed to be the most cold hardy.  This "sole survivor" was named Florida Hass.  Unfortunately I don't have any information on the parentage of the scions, specicially the Florida Hass.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Jeff - what do you  consider  the proper  harvest time for the Florida  Hass?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »

My sharwil turned that way months ago but was not ready then.  I think all fruits have visual cues (besides brix and other stuff) that indicate maturity.  Gonna give an exmple for wine grapes. I pick ONLY when the following criteria are met:

1.  Brix is between 22-27 depending on preferred style,

2. Proper acid/pH,

3. Seeds, very important.  Mature grapes will have medium to dark brown seeds that have a crunch when ground in the teeth,

4.  Cluster peduncle or stem - lignifies some or totally.

The same type of visual and sensual human criteria should be developed for avocados IMO.
This has been studied. Avocados are a big industry.
Article on how to determine avocado fruit maturity:
http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/ITFSC/PROC_1976_PG_103-109.pdf
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
This has been studied. Avocados are a big industry.
Article on how to determine avocado fruit maturity:
http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/ITFSC/PROC_1976_PG_103-109.pdf

Thanks. I'll be sure to copy a copy in my back pocket for the next go around.   ;D