Author Topic: How to prune Dream tree  (Read 1502 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
How to prune Dream tree
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »

I'm new at Annona growing (I know.  Please, don't ban me from the forums!  ;)).  How should I prune  my small Dream trees?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How to prune Dream tree
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Har or Frank can probably answer better but I would prune that main leader to about 18 inches or so but it depends on your overall vision of your final tree structure you are aiming for. Annonas grow very tall and you are in zone 8b so won't you have to move your tree indoors or protect it in Winter?

I like to keep my cherimoya trees canopy low to the ground for easier hand pollination and bagging and harvesting.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »
I wouldn't say it would grow very tall.  Yes it will need to be brought in during winter.

That tree looks like its in a small pot (based on dollar bill used for reference).
- Rob

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
I wouldn't say it would grow very tall.  Yes it will need to be brought in during winter.

That tree looks like its in a small pot (based on dollar bill used for reference).

I was planning on repotting a bunch of plants this weekend, if I can make time.  I will probably leave in a pot this year and put in the ground next year (with winter protection of.course).

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:21:10 PM »
Isn't that a rolinia?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
I would put plant in at least a 7 gallon pot if you want to keep in a pot till next year. I would put a bamboo
stake in the ground and straighten the center leader and cut the bottom branch off. The tree will branch higher and
be more like a tree. This is what I have done with mine. If you have cherimoya rootstock you could use the lower branch
for bud wood and graft another dream. I think a forum member is trying to sell/trade cherimoya seedlings now if you
don't have one.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
I would put plant in at least a 7 gallon pot if you want to keep in a pot till next year. I would put a bamboo
stake in the ground and straighten the center leader and cut the bottom branch off. The tree will branch higher and
be more like a tree. This is what I have done with mine. If you have cherimoya rootstock you could use the lower branch
for bud wood and graft another dream. I think a forum member is trying to sell/trade cherimoya seedlings now if you
don't have one.

Nice.  I was thinking about using the lower branch as a scion, but didn't have any seedlings to graft to.  Thanks for the lead. 

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »
Isn't that a rolinia?

It's a touchy subject...  It's a Cherimoya according to the guy who sells them, but it's really some sort of Atemoya according to most people on the forums.  Apparently, it has some characters of both trees. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk