Author Topic: Nance (Byrsonima crassifolia)  (Read 4151 times)

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
Nance (Byrsonima crassifolia)
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:18 AM »
My 2.5 years old Nance (Byrsonima crassifolia) seedling flowered and fruited for the first time.
I had found some contradictions from what I read online about the species.

1. Slow growing shrub
Definitely not. My 2.5 years old seedling is already 15+ft high, even after two cropping! I have seen not many plants that grow at this pace.

2. Fruits are sweetly acidic
In my experience, they are sweet with no hint of acidity at any stage of ripeness. Yes, I read that there are variations in the species.

3. Fruits are peculiarly odorous
No. I felt the scent of ripe fruits comparable to that of honey (but, the aroma is strong).

4. Plants are semi-deciduous
No. Plants are ever-green

Note: The not-completely ripe fruits smell and taste (with some astringency) like Canistel. The completely ripe fruits have pleasant aroma, which can be compared to that of honey. But, the aroma is strong. The ripe fruits are moderately sweet with no hint of sourness. The flavor can be described like a mix of Ceylon olive, Canistel and Banana. I have tasted only a few ripe fruits. The plant is still in bloom.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Nance (Byrsonima crassifolia)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
Vipin, Please keep some seeds for me!!!

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Vipin, Please keep some seeds for me!!!

Ok.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
If you mixed in the blender with water and sugar the whole fruit with seeds inside then strain, add ice and is a delicious refreshing drink, you can also use milk for a milk shake, or here they do pop cycles, or ice cream, is an acquired taste most people don't like first time, but then you can't stop eating them! Also with salt lime and chili, they are awesome!
El verde es vida!

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »
If you mixed in the blender with water and sugar the whole fruit with seeds inside then strain, add ice and is a delicious refreshing drink, you can also use milk for a milk shake, or here they do pop cycles, or ice cream, is an acquired taste most people don't like first time, but then you can't stop eating them! Also with salt lime and chili, they are awesome!

I ate only 3-4 fruits; but I liked them. not so sweet. but, have good flavor. the things disappointed me were the flesh to seed ratio and the smaller size of the fruit.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
Thanks for posting.  There seems to be varied opinions about nance so it is good to see your post.  Did you grow this from seed?  If so, how was your germination?  I have heard that germination can be erratic.  I tried some & have gotten no germination (yet?).

I have a relative (B. verbascifolia) and have also noted very vigorous growth with that one.

John

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
Can you post a photo of a ripe fruit cut in half, the next time one ripens?

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:08 PM »
Thanks for posting.  There seems to be varied opinions about nance so it is good to see your post.  Did you grow this from seed?  If so, how was your germination?  I have heard that germination can be erratic.  I tried some & have gotten no germination (yet?).

I have a relative (B. verbascifolia) and have also noted very vigorous growth with that one.

John

I bought 5 seeds from an Ebay seller. 2 of them germinated in about 3 weeks.
Then I shared the remaining seeds.

I kept 1 seed from my seedling in moist medium and it germinated within 3 weeks.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
Can you post a photo of a ripe fruit cut in half, the next time one ripens?

Sure :-).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 02:33:58 AM »

Had nance ice cream in Brazil. It was one of the best! I have a couple of large nance trees. The rose beetles really like and damage this plant a lot.
Oscar

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »

Is nance tree self-fruitful?

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 10:04:35 AM »

Is nance tree self-fruitful?
Yes.
I have 2 seedlings and only 1 of them flowered and fruited yet.

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »
Nice photos. Any chance of you sharing them on: http://www.iplantz.com/plant/274/byrsonima-crassifolia

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »
Nice photos. Any chance of you sharing them on: http://www.iplantz.com/plant/274/byrsonima-crassifolia

Hi, I will be happy to share the info on the site. But, don't know how to do it.
You can do it for me, if you don't mind. I will share the photos if you want.

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

Hi, I will be happy to share the info on the site. But, don't know how to do it.
You can do it for me, if you don't mind. I will share the photos if you want.

Hi Vipinrl, Apologies for the late reply but am new to this forum and am still finding my way around on it. I would very much like, and appreciate, any photos (images) that you can share with www.iplantz.com. I have set-up an image upload App on the website that is accessible after sign-up, and after I (the website admin) have given you 'contributor' permissions. After 'contributor' permissions are granted, you will be able to use your mobile phone to login on the website (using the email address and password you used at sign-up), capture an image using the camera on you phone and upload the image to iplantz.com via the App. If you're interested, you can sign up and then let me know that you have by reply to this message and I will give you 'contributor' rights. After that it will be easy to upload an image. Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards,
Balaman (aka Steve)